DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH questions?

laura schlenker

Reactions
Hi, I've been flying my mavic alot sine I got it . I absolutely love it!! Anyway I have a question. For example I launch it in a are with quite a few trees, and I set the height high enough not to hit anything on the way home, does it return on the same path I sent it out on? I'm so new to drones I'd rather ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake and crash. Also when you send it along way out and you can't see it anymore I'm assuming you just hit RTH, to come back? The reason I ask is because I saw a video of a guy sent his out a few miles then turned around and came back bit I didn't see him hit RTH, I just wondered how he got it back home so perfectly without searching the sky for it lol.

Hi, I've been flying my mavic alot sine I got it . I absolutely love it!! Anyway I have a question. For example I launch it in a are with quite a few trees, and I set the height high enough not to hit anything on the way home, does it return on the same path I sent it out on? I'm so new to drones I'd rather ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake and crash. Also when you send it along way out and you can't see it anymore I'm assuming you just hit RTH, to come back? The reason I ask is because I saw a video of a guy sent his out a few miles then turned around and came back bit I didn't see him hit RTH, I just wondered how he got it back home so perfectly without searching the sky for it lol.
No - it flies a straight line back.
Rather than just hit RTH, why not use telemetry for orientation back to the home point? Your 'Radar' display (bottom left) will show a triangular graphic of your aircraft and you just need to rotate it to point to home, or, just follow the line plot on your map display which will always be a straight path back to home - just fly along it.
The Inspire 2 will lay a 'breadcrumb' trail as it flies and follow the same path back.

For example I launch it in a are with quite a few trees, and I set the height high enough not to hit anything on the way home, does it return on the same path I sent it out on?
No. It'll ascend to the RTH altitude and fly straight back to the home point in most cases. You should really read the Mavic manual to fully understand how RTH works.

when you send it along way out and you can't see it anymore I'm assuming you just hit RTH, to come back?
You could. Or, just fly it back manually.

Thanks guys I've been flying in back manually just to get the practice, and I did read the manual band I'll read it again, I just wanted to make sure I was understanding it correctly. Thank you

Thanks guys I've been flying in back manually just to get the practice, and I did read the manual band I'll read it again, I just wanted to make sure I was understanding it correctly. Thank you

Laura maybe later you should try out the Litchi app.. you will be amazed what all you can do with ease !! Yes its a few bucks to buy but well worth it !!
Litchi for DJI Mavic/Phantom/Inspire

AFAIK Litchi Android is still in BETA with the Mavic, so you can join their BETA group or wait a couple of days.
So: YES :)

Ender

I guess the 2 overwhelming reasons to use Litchi is VR Carboard flying and FLightplan.
If you do not need those may reconsider.

Ender

I guess the 2 overwhelming reasons to use Litchi is VR Carboard flying and FLightplan.
If you do not need those may reconsider.

Ender
VR flying is really fun. I've only tried it once with my Mavic,iPhone,Litchi, and Blitzwolf VR Headset (about $20 Amazon). It was really fun flying with the RC and controlling the gimbal up/down just by tilting my head up/down. I was to chicken to enable it to fly based on what direction you turn your head. I need to read up on that more.

The Flight Plan sounds awesome too. Im eventually going to learn how to use that feature as well. That seems like it would be the best way to get really smooth landscape footage.

Guys good reading this as I have a Mavic on order and have been watching all the issues that are causing people to loose their Mavics, so gr8 to know 30m in beginners mode.

Question: so many people seem to loose their Mavics to the sea/Lake/Cliifs because they use the RTH when too late, I was wondering if you are caught for battery power levels, are you better manually flying the drone back in a straight line at whatever alltitiude it is at ( if not obstructions) rather than TRH and wasting power with the drone going to the RTH alltitude before returning?

RTH bad settings seems a very common mistake, so again its good to know in beginners mode despite setting 50m it wont exceed 30!!

Question: so many people seem to loose their Mavics to the sea/Lake/Cliifs because they use the RTH when too late, I was wondering if you are caught for battery power levels, are you better manually flying the drone back in a straight line at whatever alltitiude it is at ( if not obstructions) rather than TRH and wasting power with the drone going to the RTH alltitude before returning?

I think that is sensible if clear of obstructions. However why take the risk by getting that low in battery, plus its meant to be in line of sight? In about 4 years of flying DJI Phantom 1, 2, 3 and the Mavic Pro I can think of only 2 occasions where the battery was critical on return. To be honest the battery life of the Mavic Pro is so good compared with the Phantom 1 that I am bored after about 15 minutes and thinking about a cup of tea ;-)

Can't wait to try Litchi VR mode. I bought the app just for that. Today was my first flight with the mavic in an emty field. I was using my iphone 7 as a display and even in the shade (forget using in sun) it was a bit hard to fly the bird using just the video display. It was too small to be comfortable. Haven't tested the VR yet due to fact I forgot a long iPhone cable with me (tpo connect to controller) but I hope its better to get a feeling of FPV to control the mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada