DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH (return to home) not working...

Fly4Jesus

Reactions
After several attempts at some Holy Stone drones I decided to land some bucks on a Mavic Mini. I flew it for the first time in my local park this morning and I was impressed for sure!
I have a major problem. The RTH (return to home function) sends the drone straight up into the air and doesn't stop ascending. I understand that for the RTH to work it needs to have a certain amount of satellites connected. Can some one, or anyone, shed some light on this please??

To help people who could understand what happened and to be able to give you any answers, before they ask you to upload log file, it would be great if you could at least share your settings, especially RTH settngs.

Reactions: Thomas B
It will ascend to the rth altitude set in the app before it tries to come home. It also needs to be a set distance from its take off spot before it tries to return.

Seems like it did what was supposed to ..

Before you more flying with this watch every YouTube video you can on this drone especially the before you fly ones ...

On the app, there are three dots at the top right corner of the screen. Touch those and select "safety" from the next screen. Look for RTH altitude and set it for the height you would like it to ascend to before coming back to you. When you push and hold the RTH button on the remote (until it beeps) the first thing the aircraft does is go up (unless it's already at an altitude higher than the setting). When it reaches the altitude in your setting, it turns to aim towards home then it comes to the home point and then descends to the ground. If you already know all this, please accept my apologies but that feature is one of the most misunderstood features on a drone so I thought I would clarify this just in case.

As was mentioned above, it sounds like it is doing what it's supposed to. RTH works by ascending to the pre set altitude that is set in the RTH settings, comes back to directly above your home point and then descends. This is to keep it from possibly running into anything on the way home and fly above everything. You can adjust your RTH altitude setting in the settings menu.

None of the DJI quads come with the full manual in print. They only come with a quick start guide. The full manual is obtained from the DJI site under "downloads" or "manuals" section for your model.

Many companies are providing full manuals that way these days.

Thank you for all the replies.
When does the RTH icon appear? After you take off?
Thank you!
Icon should appear after TO, but you're better off using the button on the remote.
You need to press and hold for a few seconds to engage. This delay is so you don't accidentally engage it with a brief press.

Note too that a full RTH only works when beyond 60ft from home point. Any closer and it will just land where it is. I think 60ft is a bit of a stretch but otherwise if you think about it, you wouldn't likely want it to ascend if near your TO/home point. You probably meant it to land.
Better yet, you'd probably only want it to land if that close if you had a signal or low battery condition triggering RTH.

So, let me understand. Thank you Dan. After 60ft. If i press and hold the TO button on the remote control it should Return Home?

My first flight with the Mavic Mini, I went to the icon on my Smart phone and it gave me an option to either land or to RTH. I chose to RTH and it started to ascend. I got scared so I canceled the RTH and retrieved the drone.

I understand now that it has to climb to a certain Height before it can come home.

Now, unfortunately when I fly the drone it doesn't give me the RTH icon next to land. I have calibrated the compass and the IMU. I have experimented with the altitude limit. Also, I have deleted the DJI fly app and reinstalled it.

I'm going to go fly it in the morning, (whether permitted) and see if I can perform an RTH. In my opinion it's the most important ability that a drone can perform. I got my mini up to 50M today and I was so amazed at my surrounding neighbors houses backyards... I don't think I was being illegal. But in order to do that I had to just go straight up and then to land straight down.

Thanks for the inputs and info on this topic...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929