DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH to controller/dynamic location risky?

Empie

Reactions
If there is a breakdown in the controller when the Mavic is set to RTH controller/dynamic location - such as via power out, getting dropped & broken, meteorite landing on it, etc. - & the Mavic wants to RTH through low battery, would it go to the last known location of the controller or get really confused & maybe hover until its power expires? Cheers.

Reactions: mamayda
The Mavic will never return to the remote controller. It's only able to return to the last marked home point. Even if the remote controller dies, there will still be a home point marked internally within the Mavic.

Oh Thx - I should have said I have Litchi app & it seems to give options for RTH from take off point or dynamic.

Right -- Litchi does have a dynamic home point feature. It automatically resets the home point to the mobile device's current location. Each time the home point is set, it's set internally on the Mavic. And by that, I mean the Mavic will never ask the mobile device where it's located right before it tries to return home.

Should the Litchi app crash or hang mid flight with dynamic home point set, and a subsequent RTH occurs for any reason, the Mavic will indeed return to the last known location of the mobile device/controller combo. ie where you were momentarily before Litchi app locked up. This becomes problematic if you are in the move.
I once had Litchi flying a 11km route. Midway Litchi app locked up. So I went to the final WPT where it was programmed to land. When I got there Mavic was dutifully hovering, hung up 3' off the deck by Landing Protection. With no app I could not swipe to land and no amount of downstick would land it. I thought my homepoint was where I took off and figured I could fix things by pressing RC RTH button. Instead of Mavic flying the 20 metres to the take off point it started flying away into the distance! So I over road RTH brought it back to me, grabbed it and use the CSC command to shut it down. It was only later that I worked out that is was heading off to where I had been about a km away when the Litchi app crashed. I had dynamic homempoint set.

I tried putting my Mavic into sport mode the other day while running Litchi, it did not go into sports mode and appeared to totally ignore the switch. Its a little concerning as I have drummed into my head if things go wrong with a flight mode switch to sport.

If there is a breakdown in the controller when the Mavic is set to RTH controller/dynamic location - such as via power out, getting dropped & broken, meteorite landing on it, etc. - & the Mavic wants to RTH through low battery, would it go to the last known location of the controller or get really confused & maybe hover until its power expires? Cheers.
After updating to the new software today, after my 4th flight, it drifted away towards the sea. At no point did it respond to my commands. No left or right stick controllers would respond. It kept drifting till it came to a standstill and kept hovering in one spot. I immediately pressed the RTH button as the battery only had about 38% left and wanted it to come back. But, to no avail till it ran out of battery and plunged into the sea. Does anyone know how to view flight logs online after Syncing my longs on my phone please?

After updating to the new software today, after my 4th flight, it drifted away towards the sea. At no point did it respond to my commands. No left or right stick controllers would respond. It kept drifting till it came to a standstill and kept hovering in one spot. I immediately pressed the RTH button as the battery only had about 38% left and wanted it to come back. But, to no avail till it ran out of battery and plunged into the sea. Does anyone know how to view flight logs online after Syncing my longs on my phone please?

This is very concerning :( Did you find the route cause?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242