DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH vs Return to controller

Fred Lewis

Reactions
Problem? I try to make the unit return to remote by pushing the button on the main menu....but it always returns to home. I have tried it pre flight and while in flight ....at always returns to home

Was unit in a crash?no

What have you tried so far? stated above

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? Android

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? Current firmware

What Go app version are you using? DVI Go 4

Any modification?
(if so what) None

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what)

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)

The RTH function should always make the drone return to the last marked home point. If you need the drone to return to a different location (like your current location), you'll need to manually reset the home point before initiating RTH.

The RTH function should always make the drone return to the last marked home point. If you need the drone to return to a different location (like your current location), you'll need to manually reset the home point before initiating RTH.
Thank you.....How do I do that? when I press the return to controller....it says updated but always return to origin point

Reactions: Thomas B
Be careful with that, someone here had a low battery warning and had to land on the other side of a lake shoreline. They neglected to turn off the rotors after landing and said it took off on its own and headed towards the controller while he was still on the other side of the lake and it was lost when he got to the place it landed.

Be careful with that, someone here had a low battery warning and had to land on the other side of a lake shoreline. They neglected to turn off the rotors after landing and said it took off on its own and headed towards the controller while he was still on the other side of the lake and it was lost when he got to the place it landed.
My rotors stop automatically after I lad the bird on my Spark, MPP, and M2P. Do you really have to turn the rotors off on an Air?

Dynamic home point - will return to controller only if the device on controller has a gps - I beleive.

Absolutely Agree!

My rotors stop automatically after I lad the bird on my Spark, MPP, and M2P. Do you really have to turn the rotors off on an Air?
On losing signal, the drone is programmed to return home.
If the drone is left on and the controller is switched off or signal is lost, it will do as it's programmed.
It's never a good idea to leave a DJI drone idling and turn off the controller.

If the drone is left on and the controller is switched off or signal is lost, it will do as it's programmed.
Good info! Learned something. Thanks.

Ah, that’s what happened to that other member, emergency landed the drone on the shoreline, I believed he didnt turn off his rotors and went to go retrieve the drone, but maybe it was a signal loss instead. When he got to the place where it should’ve been, it was gone. Apparently it flew across the lake towards the home point and didn’t make it.

So if you land it somewhere other than homepoint and it turns off the rotors (or you do), what is the best way to keep it from starting up the rotors again and taking off towards the homepoint, especially if you have to hike on the way to get back to it and risk having signal loss?

Last edited:
So if you land it somewhere other than homepoint and turn off the rotors, then turn off the controller, will it start up the rotors again and takeoff towards the homepoint?
That's how it's programmed.
Lose signal? >>> Head for home.

OK sorry, I actually edited my question above as I thought you were not online. Can you refresh it and check the question? A pretty realistic scenario that now I’m worried about encountering. Thanks!

OK sorry, I actually edited my question above as I thought you were not online. Can you refresh it and check the question? A pretty realistic scenario that now I’m worried about encountering.
That's probably best answered with a little testing in a large, open area where a little surprise RTH won't run into any obstacles..

Reactions: Thomas B and AMann
That's probably best answered with a little testing in a large, open area where a little surprise RTH won't run into any obstacles..

I was thinking the same thing, I can see it really happening in one of those rare scenarios where the wind starts up while it’s flying or something like that. OK you gave me some homework :)

When you land, hold the left stick down for a couple of extra seconds to ensure the motors stopped. If you just touched down, and release the stick, the motor may still be spinning. In that scenario, it's 'still in flight', so when connection to RC is lost, it's initiate RTH. But if the motors have stopped, it won't RTH (I think, this is the part to test). However, if you are landing at a distance, and it just lands behind a bush or obstacle that happens to block the RC signal before the motor stops, then expect the RTH to be triggered.
As for the OP, RTH is return to HOME point. With iOS and MP1/M2, on the DJI Go 4 app, press 1 finger on screen and swipe left will display shortcut where you can set your current location as new home point. After that, triggering RTH will get the drone to return to the new location. Not sure if this is the same with Android.

Check your manual. I do not think there is a button called “return to controller”
See @msinger question above. A photo would be best..
Thank you...I have attached the menu for RTH settings. The icon on the left is normal return...the icon on the right, I believe is suppose to reset the home position to the controllercontoller.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost