DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH

Skeeter Wayne

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have two Mini 3. On both when I use the RTH they don’t go up to selected height. They just come home at what ever height it’s currently flying. I have tried in several RC. Same results … Is it….a. Me. B. Software c. Hardware. D. I have check my settings a lot ….

You may want to check your RTH cause this seems to be after a update from DJI.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Details matter. How far from home when you initiated RTH? What are the various methods for RTH as described in your user manual?

I have two Mini 3. On both when I use the RTH they don’t go up to selected height. They just come home at what ever height it’s currently flying. I have tried in several RC. Same results … Is it….a. Me. B. Software c. Hardware. D. I have check my settings a lot ….

You may want to check your RTH cause this seems to be after a update from DJI.
You may want to check what the manual says.
RTH for the Mini 3 has a few differences from the other models.

See p16 here:

Straight Line RTH

If Smart RTH is initiated by the user, the aircraft will enter Straight Line RTH.
Straight Line RTH Procedure:
1. The Home Point is recorded.
2. Smart RTH is triggered.
3. The aircraft brakes and hovers in place:
a. If the aircraft is farther than 50 m from the Home Point when RTH begins, the aircraft will adjust its orientation and ascend to the preset RTH altitude, then fly to the Home Point. If the current altitude is higher than the RTH altitude, the aircraft will fly to the Home Point at the current altitude.
b. If the aircraft is at a distance of 5 to 50 m from the Home Point when RTH begins, the aircraft will adjust its orientation and fly to the Home Point at the current altitude. If the current altitude is less than 2 m when RTH begins, the aircraft will ascend to 2 m and fly back to the Home Point.
c. The aircraft will land immediately if it is less than 5 m from the Home Point when RTH begins.
4. The aircraft will land and the motors stop after reaching the Home Point

I would suggest going out to somewhere safe with a paper copy of the manual and working through every permutation of RTH circumstances and behaviour you can devise. Tis better to experience them for the first time in practise in a safe place than it is to experience them for the first time in a real flight.
I have been caught out by unexpected RTH behaviours with every single model of DJI drone I own.
Some scared the .... out of me, some just made me curious and one with a P3 nearly cost me the drone.

Last edited:
I would suggest going out to somewhere safe with a paper copy of the manual and work through every permutation of RTH circumstances and behaviour you can devise. Tis better to experience them for the first time in practise in a safe place than it is to experience them fir the first time in a real flight.
I have been caught out by unexpected RTH behaviours with ever single model of DJI drone I own.
Some scared the .... out of me, some just made me curious and one with a P3 nearly cost me the drone.

• Wow
This will apply to the Mini 3.

I would suggest going out to somewhere safe with a paper copy of the manual and work through every permutation of RTH circumstances and behaviour you can devise. Tis better to experience them for the first time in practise in a safe place than it is to experience them fir the first time in a real flight.
I have been caught out by unexpected RTH behaviours with ever single model of DJI drone I own.
Thank you yes I know the scared the ….. feeling
You may want to check what the manual says.
RTH for the Mini 3 has a few differences from the other models.

See p16 here:

Straight Line RTH
If Smart RTH is initiated by the user, the aircraft will enter Straight Line RTH.
Straight Line RTH Procedure:
1. The Home Point is recorded.
2. Smart RTH is triggered.
3. The aircraft brakes and hovers in place:
a. If the aircraft is farther than 50 m from the Home Point when RTH begins, the aircraft will adjust its orientation and ascend to the preset RTH altitude, then fly to the Home Point. If the current altitude is higher than the RTH altitude, the aircraft will fly to the Home Point at the current altitude.
b. If the aircraft is at a distance of 5 to 50 m from the Home Point when RTH begins, the aircraft will adjust its orientation and fly to the Home Point at the current altitude. If the current altitude is less than 2 m when RTH begins, the aircraft will ascend to 2 m and fly back to the Home Point.
c. The aircraft will land immediately if it is less than 5 m from the Home Point when RTH begins.
4. The aircraft will land and the motors stop after reaching the Home Point
thank U the chase is on.
This will apply to the Mini 3.

thank you so much SO MANY VIDEOS AND SO LITTLE TIME . I was not aware of climbing to 15 feet for 4-6 seconds to capture the precise landing. I would just take off and look to make sure my home point was accurate in the may. Again think you very very. I’m so glad I joined this group. I’m a beginner and you peeps have been awesome

. I was not aware of climbing to 15 feet for 4-6 seconds to capture the precise landing.
Does the mini 3 offer precision landing? I can't find mention of it in the manual but that's nothing to go by lol, from memory it isn't mentioned in the M2P manual and tthe M2P does have precision landing.
That said, I think the necessary pure vertical climb from launch is 7m 23ft.

thank you so much SO MANY VIDEOS AND SO LITTLE TIME .
And so many are filled with misinformation.
There are quite a few errors in that one.
I was not aware of climbing to 15 feet for 4-6 seconds to capture the precise landing.
Your Mini 3 does not have the Precision Landing feature so it doesn't matter.
But if it did have the feature, you would need to climb vertically to 7 metres before flying away from the home point.
There is no need to hover for 4 seconds.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent