DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rule Changes Since 2017

jdh313

Reactions
Hi All,

As a quick background, I had a Phantom 3 Pro back in 2017(ish) but ended up selling it for a variety of reasons. I'm now thinking of picking up a Mavic 2 Pro and getting back into the hobby.

I was looking at the rules on the FAA site and noticed quite a few changes, but wanted to make sure I understood them correctly, especially since some seem to have gotten more lenient since I last flew.

1. Do I no longer need to contact airports within five miles of me? If I'm in an uncontrolled airspace, do I need to keep a certain distance from an airport? I live about a mile from a pretty big private airport, but not directly in line with their approaches. Would I have any issue flying from where I live? The B4UFly app and DJI maps both show my area as being unrestricted.

2. Is there any rule against flying at night?

3. What about flying over/near major roads? If I wanted to do a hyperlapse of a nearby highway, would there be any issues (so long as I'm not causing a distraction, flying recklessly, etc.)?

I'm not going into this looking to break every rule, just trying to understand the limitations.

Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent