DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rules for Drone Hobbyists - 2019

I got to read it all yet to understand better. If anyone got a summary to post - pls do.

Hopefully this digested version will help:

If you're still unclear post back with your questions/confusion and we'll try to walk through it in a different way.

Reactions: msinger
Do we need this 107 certification I’m reading about ?

Part 107 is for Non-Hobby flights not to be confused with the new Hobby Rules in the video above.

Hobby is called section 349 and Non-Hobby is is Part 107.

Reactions: Mikes_Vision
Hopefully this digested version will help:

If you're still unclear post back with your questions/confusion and we'll try to walk through it in a different way.
I 'll see how it all will clear out eventually.
B4UFly app now says i am in a restricted zone less than 5miles from an airport. In the tab to show what airport that is it is empty (as there are no airports here, naturally). Faa map shows clear, but added new zone 10 miles to the south from me.
All is quite clear to me. :)

Also, faa html map link does not show an nfz local to me - nearby natick labs military facility, also has a national guard helipad. That is an obvious BS. So i think both resources are currently wrong.

Last edited:
I 'll see how it all will clear out eventually.
B4UFly app now says i am in a restricted zone less than 5miles from an airport. In the tab to show what airport that is it is empty (as there are no airports here, naturally). Faa map shows clear, but added new zone 10 miles to the south from me.
All is quite clear to me. :)

Also, faa html map link does not show an nfz local to me - nearby natick labs military facility, also has a national guard helipad. That is an obvious BS. So i think both resources are currently wrong.

Is this the FAA map you're talking about?

The definitive answer you seek comes from the FAA Sectional for your area. All these other maps are merely "digested" maps trying to make it easier for the general public to get an idea of what they can or can't do. If you learn to read a sectional you'll be able to know where you can or can't fly anywhere within the US.

I have been flying as a hobbyist. One spot I have flown numerous times is within 5 miles of an airport and within 1 mile of a hospital/heliport. I would notify both the airport and the hospital. I had been on a first-name bases with the people at the airport control tower.

With the new recreational rules, I can no longer fly at this location (until the LAANC system for recreational flyers becomes available and the airport near me begins to support LAANC). However, something in these new rules is still unclear to me.

What class of airspace is around a hospital/heliport? Can I fly recreationally within 5 miles of a hospital/heliport now? I used to give notice but now that requirement appears to be gone. Apps like “Drone Buddy” do not label any airspace limits around hospitals/heliports. Instead, they are marked with a very small round shaded area.

Perhaps I missed it, but I don’t see anything in the new rules that addresses flying an sUAV near a hospital/heliport. Can anyone clarify what the requirements are for this?

I have been flying as a hobbyist. One spot I have flown numerous times is within 5 miles of an airport and within 1 mile of a hospital/heliport. I would notify both the airport and the hospital. I had been on a first-name bases with the people at the airport control tower.

With the new recreational rules, I can no longer fly at this location (until the LAANC system for recreational flyers becomes available and the airport near me begins to support LAANC). However, something in these new rules is still unclear to me.

What class of airspace is around a hospital/heliport? Can I fly recreationally within 5 miles of a hospital/heliport now? I used to give notice but now that requirement appears to be gone. Apps like “Drone Buddy” do not label any airspace limits around hospitals/heliports. Instead, they are marked with a very small round shaded area.

Perhaps I missed it, but I don’t see anything in the new rules that addresses flying an sUAV near a hospital/heliport. Can anyone clarify what the requirements are for this?

There is no specific class of airspace for a hospital/heliport. It depends on how close to a large Airport. Where I live is just a stone's throw (about 2 1/2 miles) to the local heliport yet it's still in Class G (G = Good to GO) airspace.

While it's not a requirement to give notification it's still a good idea especially if you're that close. Discuss it with them and ask them what would work best for them.

New rules only require Authorization if you're in Controlled Airspace (B,C,D, E) so if you're in Class G you're good to go just fly safe.

I notice in 2019 that the term "drone" is used instead of UAV or one of the other terms used to describe unmanned aircraft.
My question is - does the term "drone" used in this instance apply to winged radio controlled hobby aircraft?
I have assumed it does, but could not find an FAA definition for the term "drone" to include winged aircraft.
Any clarification would be appreciated.

I notice in 2019 that the term "drone" is used instead of UAV or one of the other terms used to describe unmanned aircraft.
My question is - does the term "drone" used in this instance apply to winged radio controlled hobby aircraft?
I have assumed it does, but could not find an FAA definition for the term "drone" to include winged aircraft.
Any clarification would be appreciated.

The FAA is simply giving in (just like the rest of us have) to the Buzz Word "Drone". So many "MultiRotor" operators tried saying "We're not aircraft.... we're not model aircraft..." trying to skirt around the regs. So by using the word drone (Which includes all unmanned aircraft now) they are just trying to simplify it for us.

Thanks
I need all the simplification from FAA that I can get.
After 65 years of flying all size aircraft I am still amazed how difficult it can be to create understandable regulations, as well as aircraft handbooks.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803