DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rules for the new pilot

chipbl

Reactions
Hey all, newbie here and thanks for the add. In order to be a good drone citizen, I have done considerable research on various sites and many YouTube vids and even registered my Mini 2. I’m getting a pretty good handle on things but wanted to get the collective opinion on a few areas. Feel free to link me out to other posts if this has been covered!

I’ve studied extensively the DJI app, Airmap, Kitty Hawk, and the FAA pages and have a good idea on what the various layers represent and what needs to be done with respect to each layer. My objective is to eventually build up a matrix similar to the very helpful ones I’ve seen on YouTube but add what I, as a recreational flyer, specifically need to do (over and above the DJI app authorizations, i.e., with the FAA) to be able to fly within the rules.

Here’s where things fall apart for me: I live near a major airport, Class B (controlled) airspace. It’s very clear what I need to do in the blue Authorization Zone (in my case, with LAANC). But, for example, if I try to set up a flight plan in presumably non-controlled airspace but within 5 miles of an airport; do I need to contact the tower? What if there is no tower and it’s just a landing strip, but technically still an airport? Some airports do have a form to fill out on their individual site to apply, or there’s always DroneZone, but it’s unclear to me exactly what I need to do in some of these cases. Just trying to do the right thing but sometimes the permutations are a bit confusing. Thoughts?

Hey all, newbie here and thanks for the add. In order to be a good drone citizen, I have done considerable research on various sites and many YouTube vids and even registered my Mini 2. I’m getting a pretty good handle on things but wanted to get the collective opinion on a few areas. Feel free to link me out to other posts if this has been covered!

I’ve studied extensively the DJI app, Airmap, Kitty Hawk, and the FAA pages and have a good idea on what the various layers represent and what needs to be done with respect to each layer. My objective is to eventually build up a matrix similar to the very helpful ones I’ve seen on YouTube but add what I, as a recreational flyer, specifically need to do (over and above the DJI app authorizations, i.e., with the FAA) to be able to fly within the rules.

Here’s where things fall apart for me: I live near a major airport, Class B (controlled) airspace. It’s very clear what I need to do in the blue Authorization Zone (in my case, with LAANC). But, for example, if I try to set up a flight plan in presumably non-controlled airspace but within 5 miles of an airport; do I need to contact the tower? What if there is no tower and it’s just a landing strip, but technically still an airport? Some airports do have a form to fill out on their individual site to apply, or there’s always DroneZone, but it’s unclear to me exactly what I need to do in some of these cases. Just trying to do the right thing but sometimes the permutations are a bit confusing. Thoughts?
You can use two different websites to check airspace. Kittyhawk is the best LAANC app. That should give you the automatic heights you can get approval for. You do not need to call ATC. As a matter of fact, you aren't allowed to. Your LAANC app will give you instant approval as long as you're flying at or below those maximum altitudes.

FAA's Langston Majette (a good guy) put out a good video showing how to use the LAANC system. You can find it here:

Once you have your LAANC authorization, just fly safe.

LAANC is only good for daylight flights though. There is currently no way for hobbyists to get approval to fly in controlled airspace at night. The FAA is working on that.

... and thank you for being so safety conscious. I honestly wish everyone who flew drones did the research you did.

WELCOME to the forum.

I whole heartedly concur with @Vic Moss on THANK YOU for researching and doing your part to help ensure Aviation Safety!!

Reactions: Thomas B

I too applaud your efforts to fly safely and legally, and for doing your homework related to doing so.

You mention 'layers', and that is a good way to look at it. I look at it like this:

1) Am I on legal ground to take-off and operate my UAV? If on private property, do I have permission? If public property, are there any restrictions or ordinances in place? If I am on legal ground to take-off and operate, then I move on to Step 2.
2) Will I be operating in controlled or uncontrolled airspace? I use FAA VFR Sectional charts for this, but any of the above mentioned Apps will work as well, while also informing you of any Temporary Flight Restrictions that may be in place. If in uncontrolled airspace, I move on to Step 3. If in controlled Airspace, an authorization must be obtained. Again, the Apps listed above will allow for instant authorization in the field as long as your requested altitude is at or below that in the UAS Airport Facilities Map. Or, as I have done in a wide area where I often fly, you can apply for a 12 month Airspace Authorization directly from the FAA via their DroneZone website.
3) Will DJI's geofencing allow me to fly? Again, I normally fly from within a wide area that I am familiar with in and around what is a Class D airport, but DJI places further restrictions along this airport's extended runway center-lines, and if needed, I typically unlock those areas via their website prior to such flights, or, I do so via my iPad while in the field. I have had mixed luck attempting to do so via the Go4 and Fly Apps.

Once those steps are considered and accomplished in order, it's 'Go for Launch' as they say, and then there are the usual operational considerations to be aware of. At or below 400' in uncontrolled airspace, ceiling caps in controlled airspace, no flying over people / property that could be injured / damaged if the UAV fell from the sky, and several others listed on the FAA's DroneZone website related to Community Based Standards.

It all may seem like a lot, but in time, it becomes almost second nature, and it is all well worth it to fly safely and legally.

Reactions: BigAl07
Vic Moss, Brockrock and Big Al - Can't thank you all enough for your timely and detailed responses. They definitely filled in some knowledge gaps for me!

I feel pretty confident with using the various apps to get authorization. One area I'm still not 100% clear on is when KittyHawk (for example) sees no LAANC participation and therefore just stops there; but I know I'm geographically within 5 miles of an airport (usually small airport, a water runway like at a resort, or private heliport, etc.). So my assumption is that unless it's in Class G (like some off-season small airstrips) I cannot fly within 5 miles unless their Web site has some type of notification form (rare) or I try Drone Zone. I've tried to find a definitive source for airspace/airport classes around smaller areas but this information can be elusive... The areas that I'm referring to typically sit in a a yellow warning zone.

All good on national parks, TFRs, (I live near Washington D.C.), and state parks etc. (that one is a good example of thinking you're good to go based on the apps, etc. but the on-premise information like trail maps says otherwise).

Fortunately county parks seem to be ok around here.

Not trying to overthink this, but I'm guessing that a solid story to tell if "the phone rings" speaks volumes.

Brockrock: "...airport's extended runway center-lines..." I assume you're referring to the grey altitude zones extending the "bow tie"? I found a great place to fly (no restrictions at all) and then when I checked DJI sure enough it sits under a grey overlay. I assume that just means I'll have a lower altitude limit.

Again, thanks all.

Brockrock: "...airport's extended runway center-lines..." I assume you're referring to the grey altitude zones extending the "bow tie"? I found a great place to fly (no restrictions at all) and then when I checked DJI sure enough it sits under a grey overlay. I assume that just means I'll have a lower altitude limit.
Yes. These extensions on the runways in DJI's Geo Zone Map can be any of several things, some of which are Restricted Zones, Altitude Zones (allowing flight up to only certain heights), and Authorization Zones requiring a user unlock through DJI.

Here is a link to DJI's Geo Zone Map: Geo Zone Map - Fly Safe - DJI

At the top, you can select your UAV system from the drop down list in order to see what applies to you. Using your DJI account - once logged in - you can unlock an Authorization Zone for a specified time, and you would then import this to your aircraft prior to flight via your flight app.

Most of the smaller airports that you refer to above are likely Class G requiring no FAA or other approval to operate around, and that is when the importance of Visual Line of Sight operations and See and Avoid come into play. Common sense would dictate that operations close to these airports should be limited or avoided, but the 5 mile thing is a thing of the past. I have a Class G airport near me that still has DJI restrictions in the form of all three Zones mentioned above. If you have specific airports or other airspace that you are not sure of, post those locations here, and we can advise you from there. I'm a 6000+ hour commercial pilot, and a lot of the aeronautical knowledge that I gained during my career nicely applies to flying UAV's.

So my assumption is that unless it's in Class G (like some off-season small airstrips) I cannot fly within 5 miles unless their Web site has some type of notification form (rare) or I try Drone Zone. I've tried to find a definitive source for airspace/airport classes around smaller areas but this information can be elusive... The areas that I'm referring to typically sit in a a yellow warning zone.
There are lots of airports that are in class G (uncontrolled) airspace. I believe most non-towered airports are class G at the surface. But some are certainly class E, so you must know the difference, since class E requires authorization, but class G does not.

One definitive source of airspace classification is a VFR sectional chart for your area. You can download them in PDF format from VFR Raster Charts
They are big, so may take a while to download over a slower connection. Each one has a map legend. In the "AIRPORT TRAFFIC SERVICE AND AIRSPACE INFORMATION" you'll see that class E (sfc) airspace is shown by a dashed magenta (purplish) line. Fat shaded lines indicate airspace boundaries that are 700 or 1200 ft AGL, so are normally of no major concern to drone pilots below 400' AGL.

Most small non-towered airports have a fat shaded magenta circle around them. Some also have a dashed magenta circle, usually slightly inside the shaded circle. Some of the smallest have no circle at all.

Of course you must be cautious about human-carrying aircraft everywhere, and be especially alert anywhere near airports. You must never interfere with them and always give way to them. But there is no specific authorization required to fly near an airport in class G airspace.

If you need help understanding the sectional chart for your particular airport, post the airport name, state, and approximate location, and you'll get help here.

Thanks Brockrock and Rich. The VFR Charts were very interesting and definitely gave me a better perspective. Here are a few examples of where I'm unsure of the correct approach; understanding this would likely put me well on my way.

Hilton Head Island (North east corner of Jacksonville VFR chart): I'd like fly from the southern end of the island, which is >5 miles from Hilton Head airport, but within 5 of Melrose (PVT, water landing). Would there be any requirement over the normal flying guidelines in that case? (I know I cannot launch/land from the beach, but that's not relevant to my question.)

Long Island (not on a VFR chart that I can see): I'd like to fly over one of the bays that sits 4.29 miles from East Hampton Airport (don't want to upset the rich folks). According to the East Hampton Airport sit the airport is Class G during off-season but Class D during the summer (200 foot limit, no LAANC support "coming soon"). What would be required in this case for summer flying? The drone link just goes out to the FAA site. DJI shows where I want to fly in a warning zone layer. Also, DJI shows several heliports, likely private.

Thanks again for the help, and congrats Brockrock on your impressive commercial pilot career!

Last edited:
Apart from any local restrictions on Hilton Head Island, the only airspace restrictions would involve the main airport's associated Class D airspace, and attempting to fly on the southern parts of the island south of the Class D would be fine. Melrose is a non factor other than utilizing See & Avoid if the guy decides to pop in or out in his float plane, so keep that in mind. I do seem to recall a discussion either here or on the Phantom Pilots forum at one time involving some serious UAV restrictions on Hilton Head Island, so you would need to address that first.

East Hampton is on the New York sectional, and it is operational as Class D airspace between 0800 and 2000 hours from the Saturday prior to Memorial Day to the Sunday following Labor Day or by NOTAM at other times. Otherwise, it is Class G. If the Class D is active, you would need FAA Airspace Authorization, and DJI also has Authorization Zones that would need to be unlocked, including - possibly - Foster Farm which is a private airport that they have decided to protect with an Authorization Zone.

Apart from any local restrictions on Hilton Head Island, the only airspace restrictions would involve the main airport's associated Class D airspace, and attempting to fly on the southern parts of the island south of the Class D would be fine. Melrose is a non factor other than utilizing See & Avoid if the guy decides to pop in or out in his float plane, so keep that in mind. I do seem to recall a discussion either here or on the Phantom Pilots forum at one time involving some serious UAV restrictions on Hilton Head Island, so you would need to address that first.

East Hampton is on the New York sectional, and it is operational as Class D airspace between 0800 and 2000 hours from the Saturday prior to Memorial Day to the Sunday following Labor Day or by NOTAM at other times. Otherwise, it is Class G. If the Class D is active, you would need FAA Airspace Authorization, and DJI also has Authorization Zones that would need to be unlocked, including - possibly - Foster Farm which is a private airport that they have decided to protect with an Authorization Zone.
Thanks for your detailed reply. I've been spending some time with the VFR Charts (and the user guide!) as, like I said, they really help with the big picture. Learned all about the different Class E designations there as well and what needs auth. I missed the East Hampton sectional chart; was somehow rooting around the terminal area tab charts that cut off Long Island midway.

I think I'm good on HHI, just need to research or ask more about the island ordinances (about halfway down). I have read some posts, the final island regs seem a little vague. Just launching and landing from behind the beach doesn't strike me as a strong workaround but maybe that's an option.

For East Hampton, I'll submit a Drone Zone request and see what happens. Thanks for the Foster Farm callout, but it seems just outside of the 5 mile limit to the Sag Harbor area where I'll be.

The first Sag Harbor screen shot is DJI, where normally I'd think that since I'm in a warning layer I would just need to acknowledge on the app. (I want to fly just to the left of the little white dot.) The auth zone in the lower left is Foster Farm. But the second screen shot shows I'm in an auth zone, (Class D summer time) so it's Drone Zone to the rescue (no LAANC available). And finally, the New York sectional showing East Hampton/Foster proximity to Sag Harbor.

Comments/corrections welcome!

tempImage8lr7ps.pngtempImageHONk8s.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-03 at 10.59.14 AM.png

Last edited:
Have any of you had luck receiving approval from Drone Zone or LAANC on areas that are Class D airports that show a max altitude of 0? My plan was just to practice in front of my house. Flying below roofs and treetops. Every time i submit a request through drone zone always get denied.

Have any of you had luck receiving approval from Drone Zone or LAANC on areas that are Class D airports that show a max altitude of 0? My plan was just to practice in front of my house. Flying below roofs and treetops. Every time i submit a request through drone zone always get denied.
I'll let the more knowledgeable folks weigh in here, but my guess is that you're denied because of the max altitude designation of 0 regardless of the fact that you're in your yard.

Reactions: gulfrider
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo