DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rules Regulations and outlaws.

PoonDog

Reactions
Every day I spend a few minuts on this forum and I have noticed alot of comments regarding new licenceing requirements for recreational drone pilots and I am not opposed to regulations, but it made me think a bit. Before I got my MavicAir I flew a imitation Phantom $100 drone anyplace I wanted, any time I wanted , was not regerstered , did not file flight plans or anything else. Being a bit older and wiser I finally did some research and found out what I should do. Consequently I regerstered, learned the rules and Am, at this point a stickler about doing things right and legal. As a retired Police Officer it makes me feel good to be responsable. Now I am wondering what can be done about the Outlaw drone drivers that are cluttering everything thing up and making it more difficult for those of us that are doing things right ? Personally I try to talk to those who are interested and lead them in the right direction. (1) buy a cheap drone, regerster it , learn the rules , learn to fly then ,if you arte able and care to step up to DGI or airship of your choice.
At times you will notice that I , toung in cheek, will mention things to people on the forum like altitude restrictions, VLOS and basic stupidity. The reason I do this is that I am old and I can. I guess what the bottom line is that we should be responsable for informing and educateing people who show an intrest and impressing upon them that there is more to this hobby/sport/ buisness than simply laying the money on the counter.

I will stop rembeling now, but again I will say " I am Old and I can if I wish"
Fly Safe
PoonDog

Every day I spend a few minuts on this forum and I have noticed alot of comments regarding new licenceing requirements for recreational drone pilots and I am not opposed to regulations, but it made me think a bit. Before I got my MavicAir I flew a imitation Phantom $100 drone anyplace I wanted, any time I wanted , was not regerstered , did not file flight plans or anything else. Being a bit older and wiser I finally did some research and found out what I should do. Consequently I regerstered, learned the rules and Am, at this point a stickler about doing things right and legal. As a retired Police Officer it makes me feel good to be responsable. Now I am wondering what can be done about the Outlaw drone drivers that are cluttering everything thing up and making it more difficult for those of us that are doing things right ? Personally I try to talk to those who are interested and lead them in the right direction. (1) buy a cheap drone, regerster it , learn the rules , learn to fly then ,if you arte able and care to step up to DGI or airship of your choice.
At times you will notice that I , toung in cheek, will mention things to people on the forum like altitude restrictions, VLOS and basic stupidity. The reason I do this is that I am old and I can. I guess what the bottom line is that we should be responsable for informing and educateing people who show an intrest and impressing upon them that there is more to this hobby/sport/ buisness than simply laying the money on the counter.

I will stop rembeling now, but again I will say " I am Old and I can if I wish"
Fly Safe
PoonDog
Welcome to the world of reality 2019 PoonDog!
We all ask many of the same questions.
With time comes change.? Follow change!

Reactions: bassnbeau
Very well said. I hope we can get back to the mindset of days of old where we all considered ourselves "Ambassadors of the Industry' and we would go out of our way to help teach, educate, support new pilots and would-be pilots. We always tried to "meet the person on their level" and try to foster/create a mentor relationship.

Maybe one day . . .

I regerstered, learned the rules and Am, at this point a stickler about doing things right and legal. As a retired Police Officer it makes me feel good to be responsable. Now I am wondering what can be done about the Outlaw drone drivers that are cluttering everything thing up and making it more difficult for those of us that are doing things right ?
"Outlaw drone drivers??"

"Cluttering everything up??"

Is this really a major problem?

I am 100% supportive of education for those new to the technology, but it seems that the endless posts all over this forum which exhibit righteous indignation aimed at a few people who have done stupid things seems to me to be massive over-reaction to what is mostly an imagined problem.

By way of example, there are thirteen thousand automobile accidents and five small plane accidents every single day in this country. By contrast, here is a list of UAV accidents in the USA:

About five per year.

Since all these new and proposed regulations and rules will stop the growth of drone ownership and flights, I don't see this increasing substantially.

So, the amount of hand-wringing and discussion of this "problem" is massively disproportionate to the risks and problems that have actually occured.

Reactions: Rondal
"Outlaw drone drivers??"

"Cluttering everything up??"

Is this really a major problem?

I am 100% supportive of education for those new to the technology, but it seems that the endless posts all over this forum which exhibit righteous indignation aimed at a few people who have done stupid things seems to me to be massive over-reaction to what is mostly an imagined problem.

By way of example, there are thirteen thousand automobile accidents and five small plane accidents every single day in this country. By contrast, here is a list of UAV accidents in the USA:

About five per year.

Since all these new and proposed regulations and rules will stop the growth of drone ownership and flights, I don't see this increasing substantially.

So, the amount of hand-wringing and discussion of this "problem" is massively disproportionate to the risks and problems that have actually occured.
I do not doubt what you say and was inclined to think like that until I came across how much drones are hated by commercial pilots. They have far more weight drafting FAA rules than we do and every time a drone pilot gets in trouble will be magnified far beyond any real safety concern.

Reactions: BigAl07
I do not doubt what you say and was inclined to think like that until I came across how much drones are hated by commercial pilots. They have far more weight drafting FAA rules than we do and every time a drone pilot gets in trouble will be magnified far beyond any real safety concern.

You nailed it. We "think" we are big industry but in the real world Manned Aviation makes more in a day than our industry does in a year (My numbers not actual statistics).

Also it's important to note that our entire society, globally speaking as well as local, would not fair very well if the Airline and Air Transport Industry decided to get mean and go on a mission to stop us. When people become afraid to fly on airlines or Transport (cargo) is delayed because of sUAS operations and it starts affecting Bank Accounts/wallets around the nation/world you'll see a new wave of regulations appearing out of no where at break-neck speeds. To think otherwise is definitely not being realistic or logical.

Drone strikes, so far, are mostly hypothetical with, AFIK, only three confirmed collisions, none of them resulting in any emergency:

Verified aircraft collisions

Any drone collision with an aircraft is deadly serious, but needs to put it in perspective with other hazards a pilot faces. For instance, birds are a FAR bigger hazard (ask Captain Sully).

Compared to the three confirmed drone strikes, there are between 6,000 and 10,000 bird strikes most years:

Bird Strike Collisions

Collisions with other aircraft, even though we've had transponders for almost fifty years, is also a massively greater problem:

List of notable civilian and military-civilian mid-air collisions

Keeping drones away from airports is common sense, and I support the DJI technology that doesn't let you take off if you are within the airport zone and which limits altitude.

What I take issue with is the idea that this isn't going to be effective and that we somehow need all sorts of additional draconian measures in order to avoid annoying wildlife, stop annoying the neighbors, etc. Idiots will always do those things, with or without owning a drone, and we don't need to single out this one specific device and regulate it out of existence.

Last edited:
Unfortunately our society is becoming more and more a place where decisions regarding legislation are made based on emotion rather than facts and rational reasoning. Consider that the reporting of near misses between drones and manned aircraft have created all the new legislation over the last year or so. If there ever is an actual collision that causes massive monetary lost or a loss of life I could see recreational UAS flying being banned altogether.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej