DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rules & Regulations

walexus2000

Reactions
Has anyone been able to put together a bullet point, 1 or 2 page summary about the rules for flying drones (over 149lb vs under 149lbs, hobbyist vs licensed)?

It would be nice to have one laminated and hand of to people that want to interogate you while you're flying. So you can focus on your flight instead of going back and forth with them.

First off WELCOME to the forum :)

The threshold in the US (FAA) for Part 107 is LESS THAN 55lbs. If your UAS weighs 55lbs or more, and you fly for anything other than Recreational, you'll have to apply for a Section 333 Exemption and you'll have to follow whatever Rules & Regulations they stipulate in your Section 333 Exemption.

It's important to note that a Section 333 Exemption requires a Pilots License (Sport of higher) to be issued to you.

There is no "current" weight classification for ~44809 Recreational Operations.

First off WELCOME to the forum :)

The threshold in the US (FAA) for Part 107 is LESS THAN 55lbs. If your UAS weighs 55lbs or more, and you fly for anything other than Recreational, you'll have to apply for a Section 333 Exemption and you'll have to follow whatever Rules & Regulations they stipulate in your Section 333 Exemption.

It's important to note that a Section 333 Exemption requires a Pilots License (Sport of higher) to be issued to you.

There is no "current" weight classification for ~44809 Recreational Operations.
Sorry that was a typo. I meant to say "grams", not lbs. Some people weight 150lbs [emoji23][emoji23]
But yeah... I was trying to put together a properly formatted 1 or 2 page bullet points to laminate and carry with me in case someone who claims to know the rules that's harrasing me.

Reactions: BigAl07
Sorry that was a typo. I meant to say "grams", not lbs. Some people weight 150lbs [emoji23][emoji23]
But yeah... I was trying to put together a properly formatted 1 or 2 page bullet points to laminate and carry with me in case someone who claims to know the rules that's harrasing me.
Ah that makes sense. I don't have the comparison but I do have one point I want to inject here:

Weight has no "weight" (see what I did there) on Commercial vs Hobby. The only time weight (less than 55lbs) is an issue is with Recreational Registration. If under 250grm (.55lb) and flown strictly for Recreational Use FAA Recreational Registration is not required....

If the aircraft is used for anything outside of ~44809 then it is required to be registered as such. Public Use, Section 333, or Part 107 REQUIRE the aircraft to be registered as such and MARKED externally as such.

Recreational Rules from the FAA

Part 107 Guidance from the FAA

Reactions: Thomas B
The key differences I see are that Part 107 flights require a licensed Remote Pilot and a Visual Observer. You can also do recreational flights under Part 107 if you are following Part 107 rules.

Reactions: New England Droning
The key differences I see are that Part 107 flights require a licensed Remote Pilot and a Visual Observer. You can also do recreational flights under Part 107 if you are following Part 107 rules.

Ummm those aspects don't mix. If you are flying under Part 107 rules you are indeed flying Part 107 (even though you might be having fun LOL). It seems like I'm being overly critical but it is what it is.

As a Part 107 holder you do have the option to fly either under Part 107 rules or ~44809 rules but you can not mix & match on the same flight.

Reactions: Thomas B
Ummm those aspects don't mix. If you are flying under Part 107 rules you are indeed flying Part 107 (even though you might be having fun LOL). It seems like I'm being overly critical but it is what it is.

As a Part 107 holder you do have the option to fly either under Part 107 rules or ~44809 rules but you can not mix & match on the same flight.
I agree. FAA says that Part 107 flights can be recreational: "Part 107 (14 CFR part 107) is the primary law for flying small drones (less than 55 pounds) in the United States. You can fly under part 107 rules for many reasons, including work or business, recreation, education, or for public safety missions." As I understand the rules, the exception for recreational flights under part 49 U.S.C. § 44809 just provides an out for those without a Part 107 license to fly recreationally with some relaxation of the rules that Part 107 flights must adhere.

One thing, the VO is not a requirement whether you are flying for rec purposes or part 107, unless you are using goggles. That is the only time the remote pilot needs to have a VO.
Also there may be commercial missions where a VO is necessary for safety. But for day to day flying that some of us do then no VO unless there are goggles.

The problem of UAS uneducated bypasses is not that you need or don't need a license to fly the drone. Their problem is that they are feeling you invade their privacy and interrogation usually is about whether you have an authorization to fly in that area or not.

Then you have to struggle to explain that you don't need authorization. And they will not believe you. And the discussion goes around in circles.

My strategy is:

1. Stay away from paths walked by people. Stay as much as possible into an isolated, remote place.
2. When they do find you, you just inform them that it is illegal for anyone to interfere with a ground pilot of an UAV during an operation, that it is punishable by imprisonment and they should walk away.

Reactions: smashse
I fly 107 commercially, and I've been thinking about making a sandwich board that says things like : yes I am flying a drone, please do not interrupt me, and have 10 or so bullet points to answer common questions, ask them to wait till I land before talking to me, inform I do have permission/authorization from the FAA to fly, etc and let them know I'd be happy to discuss it after I land.

And the FAA does not require a VO unless needed for operational safety. I'm currently taking landscaping photography, low altitude, watch the drone except for the actual shot while in a stable hover, eyes back on drone in 10 seconds or so, touch more if I need to change settings. Perfectly legal under part 107.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121