DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rules to Follow Mavic Mini 2

gulfrider

Reactions
I've been doing research on where I can fly my Mavic Mini 2. As most of you know FAA categorizes UAS as Public, Civil and Model Aircraft. I believe I fall under model aircraft category since I do not fly commercially. I am a recreational flyer, and own a Mavic Mini 2. The Mini 2 weighs 242 grams (less than .55 lbs) and according to FAAs site, it does not require registration. I have read all the safety information from FAAs site as far as not to fly at night, hover over people, giving manned aircrafts right of way, etc. My question is whether I need to request FAA authorization to fly my Mavic Mini in a Class E airspace or not? Or is there a certain altitude I must observe. I appreciate any information you all can provide.

Reactions: ResistanceFlyer
If the class E airspace extends to the surface, as it often will near an airport, you need authorization to fly there.

@Rich QR Thank you for the link you provided. I found another link defining the rules of a class E. And somehow this makes sense now, other than an Class E2 (airspace) where authorization is required. That is probably why the DJI Geo Zones do not identify the spot with any colors. Here is the link I followed based on what yo just provided and was very helpful making me understand

https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/events_calendar/archive/2019_uas_symposium/media/How_To_Understand_and_Operate_in_Class_E.pdf

I've been doing research on where I can fly my Mavic Mini 2. As most of you know FAA categorizes UAS as Public, Civil and Model Aircraft. I believe I fall under model aircraft category since I do not fly commercially. I am a recreational flyer, and own a Mavic Mini 2. The Mini 2 weighs 242 grams (less than .55 lbs) and according to FAAs site, it does not require registration. I have read all the safety information from FAAs site as far as not to fly at night, hover over people, giving manned aircrafts right of way, etc. My question is whether I need to request FAA authorization to fly my Mavic Mini in a Class E airspace or not? Or is there a certain altitude I must observe. I appreciate any information you all can provide.
You are definitely classified as a recreational flyer. No question.

However, you are allowed to fly at night, I'm not sure where you saw that you can't. Also, you can't fly over people at all, hovering isn't part of the rule.

Airspace can be confusing for sure, especially for all of the different Echo airspace classifications. Kevin Morris, from the FAA, has a number of very good videos on the FAA's Youtube channel. His on Class E is here:

Reactions: ResistanceFlyer
You are definitely classified as a recreational flyer. No question.

However, you are allowed to fly at night, I'm not sure where you saw that you can't. Also, you can't fly over people at all, hovering isn't part of the rule.

Airspace can be confusing for sure, especially for all of the different Echo airspace classifications. Kevin Morris, from the FAA, has a number of very good videos on the FAA's Youtube channel. His on Class E is here:

@Vic Moss thank you for the info. That’s even better to know that i can fly at night. I also got confirmation from the local AMA here in regards to where I can fly my drone without violating rules.

@Vic Moss thank you for the info. That’s even better to know that i can fly at night. I also got confirmation from the local AMA here in regards to where I can fly my drone without violating rules.
Glad AMA helped you too.

That’s even better to know that i can fly at night.
Remember that there is still a legal requirement to maintain visual line-of-sight with the drone at night which usually requires some form of lighting on the drone.

Remember that there is still a legal requirement to maintain visual line-of-sight with the drone at night which usually requires some form of lighting on the drone.
The requirement is strobe visibility from 3 Statute Miles.

Reactions: gulfrider
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54