DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Sailing to STUNNING WHITEHAVEN BEACH.

Vernon

Reactions
After a short stop in Airlie for some fresh food we sail out to Tongue Bay where we have one of the worst rolly nights we have ever experienced! Happy to wake up early and get off the boat we beat the tourists and hike up to the lookout over Hill Inlet and Whitehaven Beach. What a stunning place. Next we sail 25nm down to Lindeman Island where I had worked in 1995 at the Club Med resort there. This is where I got my first camera and this kicked off what would become my career. Enjoi.

The videos are getting a real Ben Cropp / Valerie Taylor feel there Vernon.

Did you pull into Port Denison (Bowen) by chance ?
My home town.
As kids we'd be out on the water through the year with dad, local reef fishing, reasonably often down through to Gloucester Is (passage), sometimes Saddleback Is, with it's little shack . . . stayed overnight there once, massive storm hit, nearly lost the boat !!

The Whitsundays are nice, but touristy spots overrated / overcrowded I feel.
Doing it like you do you can find the quiet spots.

Shame what's happened to some of the island resorts, some due to cyclones, other reasons due to new owners and simple lack of upkeep, other plans for some islands now for 'particular' clients.

Re Bowen . . . yeah just took a look through the latest vids, and saw episode 200 at 14:45 :)

Guess you would have gone down through past Gloucester etc to the Airlie then.

Good to see a bit of the old town in the linked episode, was a good place to grow up as kids (myself until 17 yo).
Used to fish a little at the marina dock, all we'd catch was Stone Fish, bloody things :/
The main harbour jetty though, shiners or poppers off the end, haul in mackerel, sometimes Tuna, squidding through the wee hours, always catch something at night but especially when it was raining.

In the boat, we'd 3/4 fill up a sugar bag with reef fish in 3 - 4 hrs morning, go to the Stone Is sand spit and fillet them for another few hours.
Red Emperor, Coral Trout, Flathead, Cod, all sorts of reef fish in the bag.

Good memories of some 40 - 50 years ago.
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 4006448 and Vernon
The videos are getting a real Ben Cropp / Valerie Taylor feel there Vernon.

Did you pull into Port Denison (Bowen) by chance ?
My home town.
As kids we'd be out on the water through the year with dad, local reef fishing, reasonably often down through to Gloucester Is (passage), sometimes Saddleback Is, with it's little shack . . . stayed overnight there once, massive storm hit, nearly lost the boat !!

The Whitsundays are nice, but touristy spots overrated / overcrowded I feel.
Doing it like you do you can find the quiet spots.

Shame what's happened to some of the island resorts, some due to cyclones, other reasons due to new owners and simple lack of upkeep, other plans for some islands now for 'particular' clients.

Re Bowen . . . yeah just took a look through the latest vids, and saw episode 200 at 14:45 :)

Guess you would have gone down through past Gloucester etc to the Airlie then.

Good to see a bit of the old town in the linked episode, was a good place to grow up as kids (myself until 17 yo).
Used to fish a little at the marina dock, all we'd catch was Stone Fish, bloody things :/
The main harbour jetty though, shiners or poppers off the end, haul in mackerel, sometimes Tuna, squidding through the wee hours, always catch something at night but especially when it was raining.

In the boat, we'd 3/4 fill up a sugar bag with reef fish in 3 - 4 hrs morning, go to the Stone Is sand spit and fillet them for another few hours.
Red Emperor, Coral Trout, Flathead, Cod, all sorts of reef fish in the bag.

Good memories of some 40 - 50 years ago.
Thanks for sharing.
Thats awesome, thanks for the message. We like to be in places without hoards of other boats and especially tourist boats. The Whitsundays are very busy no doubt but there's no denying there are some amazing things to see there. Down in Bunderberg now and continuing on to Fraser Island tomorrow.
Take care

Thats awesome, thanks for the message. We like to be in places without hoards of other boats and especially tourist boats. The Whitsundays are very busy no doubt but there's no denying there are some amazing things to see there. Down in Bunderberg now and continuing on to Fraser Island tomorrow.
Take care

Cool mate, happy sailing.
Was up in Hervey Bay just a month ago, brother there, and love Fraser / Rainbow and Teewah Beaches area for 4wd'n.

What's the sailing plan, how far are you going south and then . . . ?

Cool mate, happy sailing.
Was up in Hervey Bay just a month ago, brother there, and love Fraser / Rainbow and Teewah Beaches area for 4wd'n.

What's the sailing plan, how far are you going south and then . . . ?
Brisbane for Xmas the south all the way to Tassie for summer, stopping at some places along the way. Then back up to Sydney, over to New Cal for 3 months then down to NZ. Doing heaps of miles in the next 12 months

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost