DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Salt River

DJWIAZ

Reactions
Hi, new flyer here in AZ originally from the Midwest. I have seen footage and read discussion about flying in areas including lower salt river, queen creek, Lake Saguaro and up towards tortilla flats. I have driven to a few of these areas and found one spot in the Tonto National forest out past Apache junction where I was confidently legal without others around I would disturb. I would like to fly other areas, but due to mobility issues am limited in how far I can walk. Are there some places I can park and not have to traverse more then a 1/4 mile, less if possible to fly in areas I mentioned? Do any of these areas have flat paths open to bikes? I have explored some of these areas but vehicle, but it seems the "accessible" places are in "recreational sites" that are not legal to take off and land from. Do any of these areas allow bikes and have flat trails? Any suggestions of where I can get by vehicle or very close by vehicle to fly? Much appreciated!

Hi, new flyer here in AZ originally from the Midwest. I have seen footage and read discussion about flying in areas including lower salt river, queen creek, Lake Saguaro and up towards tortilla flats. I have driven to a few of these areas and found one spot in the Tonto National forest out past Apache junction where I was confidently legal without others around I would disturb. I would like to fly other areas, but due to mobility issues am limited in how far I can walk. Are there some places I can park and not have to traverse more then a 1/4 mile, less if possible to fly in areas I mentioned? Do any of these areas have flat paths open to bikes? I have explored some of these areas but vehicle, but it seems the "accessible" places are in "recreational sites" that are not legal to take off and land from. Do any of these areas allow bikes and have flat trails? Any suggestions of where I can get by vehicle or very close by vehicle to fly? Much appreciated!

I don't live in Phoenix anymore, but you might try driving northeast out toward Four Peaks. There is lots of territory there and the road is decent. You might come across other hikers, but it shouldn't be difficult to find a spot without any.

There is also a pullout not far up the road to Mount Ord with beautiful scenery. Head toward Payson and look for the turnoff on the right hand side of the highway just before you get to Mount Ord.

I think there are turnoffs along the Beeline Highway between Mesa and Scottsdale as well.

Reactions: DJWIAZ
Good morning to all-
When I was out in Phoenix in 2017, I saw quite a few places that I think might work for you.
Look along the lower Salt River at Water Users Area below the dam- lots of parking, close to the river, and I've seen drones flying there.
You might try Butcher Jones Recreation area on Saguaro Lake- good parking, close to water, some great cliffs and mountains close by.
Try Usery Park out toward Salt River. I am not sure, but I think you can fly there. Lots of pull-offs and parking areas and some gorgeous mountains.
I expect you'll have to pretty much get out of the Phoenix metro area to find many legal places to fly your drone.

Good luck and let us know how your flying in AZ goes- it has some gorgeous places out there. Phoenix- not so much- just sayin'

you all be safe and keep swell- Ed

Reactions: dozzn
I don't live in Phoenix anymore, but you might try driving northeast out toward Four Peaks. There is lots of territory there and the road is decent. You might come across other hikers, but it shouldn't be difficult to find a spot without any.

There is also a pullout not far up the road to Mount Ord with beautiful scenery. Head toward Payson and look for the turnoff on the right hand side of the highway just before you get to Mount Ord.

I think there are turnoffs along the Beeline Highway between Mesa and Scottsdale as well.
Thank you for the very specific suggestions!

Good morning to all-
When I was out in Phoenix in 2017, I saw quite a few places that I think might work for you.
Look along the lower Salt River at Water Users Area below the dam- lots of parking, close to the river, and I've seen drones flying there.
You might try Butcher Jones Recreation area on Saguaro Lake- good parking, close to water, some great cliffs and mountains close by.
Try Usery Park out toward Salt River. I am not sure, but I think you can fly there. Lots of pull-offs and parking areas and some gorgeous mountains.
I expect you'll have to pretty much get out of the Phoenix metro area to find many legal places to fly your drone.

Good luck and let us know how your flying in AZ goes- it has some gorgeous places out there. Phoenix- not so much- just sayin'

you all be safe and keep swell- Ed
Thank you Ed! To be specific I'm in Mesa. I did drive out to Butcher Jones Recreation Area and have read about flying there. My understanding is "recreation areas" are not legal though. I could be misinformed. I'm definitely going to try the lower salt! Thank you for your help!

My girlfriend and I are thinking about heading to the lower Salt River next weekend to try to see some wild horses. Not sure if this is the right time of year or not, but should be great to get out and do some flying around there somewhere.

She's in a wheelchair, so she doesn't go to far from wherever we park, especially when we go off-roading.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Jeff

My girlfriend and I are thinking about heading to the lower Salt River next weekend to try to see some wild horses. Not sure if this is the right time of year or not, but should be great to get out and do some flying around there somewhere.

She's in a wheelchair, so she doesn't go to far from wherever we park, especially when we go off-roading.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Jeff
Might see you out there!

Weavers Needle Vista. Flat path out into desert about. 25 MI. Pull offs along road to the Lake. On 60 east of superior and globe along the Salt River there are pull offs. Lower salt, plenty of places. Haven't come across NFZ in the recreation areas since they are National a Forests but I haven't been out there in a year. Also first water road just past Lost Dutchman SP. Hieroglyph trail up to the wilderness boundary.

Weavers Needle Vista. Flat path out into desert about. 25 MI. Pull offs along road to the Lake. On 60 east of superior and globe along the Salt River there are pull offs. Lower salt, plenty of places. Haven't come across NFZ in the recreation areas since they are National a Forests but I haven't been out there in a year. Also first water road just past Lost Dutchman SP. Hieroglyph trail up to the wilderness boundary.
I may have confused a "no fly in regional parks" as state wide in AZ and in recreational parks. After further research it appears that rule may be specific to Maricopa County. I have to double check the potential differences in rules between "regional parks" and "recreational areas". Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

I fly near Tonto Basin region frequently. Lots of spots between Tonto Basin and State Rd 288, towards Young, Az. Several camping areas close by, and on the lake front of Roosevelt Lake. Only one No-Fly Zone, State Monument, Cliff Dwellings, but other than that miles and miles of areas to fly. Several Forest Roads off Hwy 188 lead to isolated trails and ATV paths, a few dispersed camping areas, which are usually vacant except summertime. Just remember it's the dessert, so watch out for the wildlife, javelina, snakes and scorpions and you'll be okay.

Reactions: PeRo
I fly near Tonto Basin region frequently. Lots of spots between Tonto Basin and State Rd 288, towards Young, Az. Several camping areas close by, and on the lake front of Roosevelt Lake. Only one No-Fly Zone, State Monument, Cliff Dwellings, but other than that miles and miles of areas to fly. Several Forest Roads off Hwy 188 lead to isolated trails and ATV paths, a few dispersed camping areas, which are usually vacant except summertime. Just remember it's the dessert, so watch out for the wildlife, javelina, snakes and scorpions and you'll be okay.

Hi Mac, all,
I will soon travel through AZ and drive past Tonto Basin. Assuming, you have only a couple of hours for genuine aerial landscape shots, what location(s) would you recommend? Walking distance of up to 1-2h is no problem, simple orientation prefered.
Thanks!

The Roosevelt Dam is always a good photo op. There's a suspension bridge that gives some good backdrop shots with the dam also. Theres a road that takes you onto both sides of the dam for access to the canyons or lake. On the East side of Lake Roosevelt you'll find some nice Canyon shots @ about 200' viewing towards the lake. Indian Point on the West side of Roosevelt can give a good prospective of Four Peaks to Pinyon Mountain, which is still now snow capped even though it's 60° to 70° in the daytime. You can always stop at the Lake Roosevelt Ranger Center to get an overall view of the area and decide where you might want to stop. Good luck and safe travels.

Reactions: PeRo
The Roosevelt Dam is always a good photo op. There's a suspension bridge that gives some good backdrop shots with the dam also. Theres a road that takes you onto both sides of the dam for access to the canyons or lake. On the East side of Lake Roosevelt you'll find some nice Canyon shots @ about 200' viewing towards the lake. Indian Point on the West side of Roosevelt can give a good prospective of Four Peaks to Pinyon Mountain, which is still now snow capped even though it's 60° to 70° in the daytime. You can always stop at the Lake Roosevelt Ranger Center to get an overall view of the area and decide where you might want to stop. Good luck and safe travels.
Great, thanks for your suggestions!

Kind of an old thread. I've lived in Cave Creek at the foot of Black Mtn since '91. Got into serious 4X4 Wheelin' in '02. Been a lot of places, seen a LOT of things. Ready to get back into Wheelin' early next year. Bought the M2Z to scout ahead on old/new trails to make sure there's no dangerous issues.

This place is on the road to Crown King, some good drone footage;

Stopped going there years before they did the touristy "Yacht Club" gimmick when it was a good stop for quick libation on the way to CK. Watch out for the Beer Trucks if drive up there on a weekday. Should be able to get there OK with an SUV.

I know LOTS of cool places I intend to overfly someday soon. I even know where the real Lost Dutchmans mine is located in Camp Creek, and yes it is being worked in an unorthodox manner.

Martinez Canyon has a lot of things worthy of aerial footage.

Better get a decent 4X4 if you're serious. I could go on and on. TOO bad they closed down FR 42 over a decade ago. This place was called "The Edge Of The Earth" in several offroad publications for good reason.

Yeah, I got dozens more. My friend, an AZ native has dozens of dozens.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11