DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Same launch location, magnetic interference

aneal321

Reactions
Yesterday I was going to do some recreational flying M2Pro in an area where I've flown 5 or 6 times before. There are some high intensity power lines a few hundred feet from where I was launching. Two unusual things happened, I believe unrelated to each other.
  1. B4U Fly gave me a message to check alerts. There is a class E small muni airport 1.3 miles. I've always received "cleared for takeoff" message right away. I answered a few questions thru the app and received okay to fly for an hour. Didn't matter in the end, see #2.
  2. I kept getting a magnetic interference message on my controller and it said, check app. I could not connect to the drone (GO 4). I moved to probably 500 yards away from the lines, no change. I'm guessing the lines are what caused the message. Last time I flew in that location was December. The only other change I am aware of is that the airport had a beacon decommissioned in February.​
Any ideas as to why this would happen? Before I went to location I updated software and tested at home. I did get Magnetic interference message there until I flew about 30 feet away from my house. But I was able to connect to the drone and fly. in the field I could not calibrate compass or fly, no connection to the drone. Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the lines are what caused the message.
Any ideas as to why this would happen?
Guess again.
You would have to be within a few feet of the high voltage lines to have any effect on your compass.
Nothing at the distance you mentioned would have the slightest effect.
Look for something that's probably within 3 feet of the drone.
What was the surface you launched from?

Reactions: aneal321
I thought about other objects too. I launched from the ground and stepped away from a bench that was nearby, other than that, just soil and water nearby.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123