DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sample Footage

Cymru

Reactions
As its impossible to judge quality from YouTube videos it's probably worth linking to actual sample footage from the drone by users.

A few i've found:

DPReview.

- Photos only but a mix of 48mp and 12mp. To me i can see clear, fairly severe distortion in the corners and quite a bit of shadow noise and chromatic aberration on several.

Toms Tech Time has some:

3 x D-Cinelike 4k/25 videos. Recorded at 90Mbps bit rate. Look nice and sharp, haven't tried grading yet to see if 8 bit make it pointless
3 x still images but for some reason TIFFs not the DNGs so cant really see the raw files. Two look nice, the middle water/shore one shows clear loss of sharpness on the edge.

DroneXL has some images and video. Mainly low light stuff. Looks pretty nice to be fair.
4k/30 at 93Mbps and FHD at 36Mbps

EDIT:- Billy Kyle samples

So has anyone got any more direct links to actual footage and RAW files so we can edit, inspect and judge?

Last edited:
Reactions: gypsy1
The images seem to be really variable. DPReview's images are really poor and not much better than I would expect to get out of the Mini 2. Certainly not a patch on the Air 2S.
Oh well. I'll see for myself on Wednesday. If it's not up to snuff I'll flip it.

That could either mean variations in the lens (not again please), some problems with the readout/firmware or mishandling (unlikely, but who knows).

Reactions: Bussty
That could either mean variations in the lens (not again please), some problems with the readout/firmware or mishandling (unlikely, but who knows).
True... heaps of ways to not get sharp images. I have found the Pilot Institute videos really interesting. Seems this is a sensor you have to treat differently. ISO 100 go with 48 MP but as you increase ISO 12MP is stunningly better when it comes to noise. So I guess don't use 48 MP for night shots and go with 48MP in the day...

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Try Billy Kyle's samples his are not bad at all...

Just added those to the list.

Looking at the images its useful as he's taken in the 48mp and 12mp side by side.

The 48mpix images are noticeably less sharp at 1:1 as you'd expect as its a 12mp sensor just using quad bayer filtering to upsize them. More CA and pattern artefacts in places.
Likely still usable with more effort sharpening in post though.

The 12mp look ok.

There is a loss of edge sharpness and quite severe corner distortion but like on other drones shooting with the aim of cropping and/or hoping DxO come out with a proper profile may well help there.

Certainly on all his samples they're decent, usable images (albeit in 4:3), especially 12mpix.

Now looked at his video files too.
Mainly i'm impressed.

They're sharp with decent colours.

There is quite severe moire on things like brickwork and potentially oversharpening meaning flickering effects on things like lamp posts and fences. Nothing we haven't seen before and Neat Video can usually do a decent job eliminating that in post. Just tested on "lock flicker" and it removed it nicely.

Vertical videos seem to exhibit it more but again understandable.

One thing is clear, with a f/1.7 lens some severe ND filters are going to be needed.
Some images even with a cloudy sky are at 1/2500th.

In the region of 5-6 stops needed to take that down to 1/60th needed for 4k/30. ND32 or 64 is going to be "standard" on these.

Last edited:
Just added those to the list.

Looking at the images its useful as he's taken in the 48mp and 12mp side by side.

The 48mpix images are noticeably less sharp at 1:1 as you'd expect as its a 12mp sensor just using quad bayer filtering to upsize them. More CA and pattern artefacts in places.
Likely still usable with more effort sharpening in post though.

The 12mp look ok.

There is a loss of edge sharpness and quite severe corner distortion but like on other drones shooting with the aim of cropping and/or hoping DxO come out with a proper profile may well help there.

Certainly on all his samples they're decent, usable images (albeit in 4:3), especially 12mpix.
Try using the "super resolution" feature in Lightroom on the 12 MP files, the resulting 48 MP shots look WAY better than the "native" high res shots the Mini 3 produces.

Its to be expected,the 48mp isnt real 48mp. Its a 12mp sensor.

The shots aren't bad but are softer with more artefacts. 12mpixel, maybe down to 10 or so after cropping out soft edges is fine for most uses. Topaz or Adobe SR can take it higher if needed.

Not a big issue - wasn't really expecting the 48mp to be that good.

Excellent, thanks.
The more the better to understand and evaluate the drone.

None of those are sample footage though so cant really be used to judge anything at all.

Certainly all the sample images, even at iso100 the 48mp is noticeably lower quality than 12.

Here is set of 4 videos a 20sec
30fps normal
30fps d_cine
60fps normal
60fps d_cine

including the srt files for details. It is always the same high contrast sundown of today.
https://fam-roesch.net/video/Mavic3footage.zip (1,2GB)
Interesting. Both d-Cine videos are reported as 10 bit (checked with QuickTime and MediaInfo), and about 150 mbit/s. No other sample footage I found does have such a high recording bitrate or 10 bit, so I guess this was added with the latest firmware update...? This may not be true 10 bit, otherwise DJI would have advertised it, I guess.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada