DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 as a tablet for Mavic Air

VooDooZG

Reactions
Hi all

I just bought used Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 to be my monitor for Mavic Air ( I use Samsung Note 4 before/now )..

And now I have a problem - when I connect my Tab S 8.4 to Mavic Air controler I have bad picture for live stream with artifact and big delay ( like 5 sec or more ), on my Samsung Note 4 I dont have any problem and picture is normal with no delay, I have also tried Huawei Medapad T3 and he works normal also !?!?

Now I don't understand what is the problem because Tab S is very strong tablet, stronger than Huawei T3 and why than I have problem with live feed on Mavic Air ??

I also did see that my Tab S does not have charge icon while is connected and my Note 4 and Huawei T3 had that icon for charging ?? maybe I need to change something for USB on phone or ?? I did use same cable and did try several different cable ..

and yes I have Android 6.0.1. on both Note 4 and Tab S

Please help, I love Tab S because of Oled screen and resolution but if I can not use it as a monitor than I don't know what to do :(

Thx and sorry for my bad English..

Last edited:
Welcome to the club :(

I have the same Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and have been frustrated by the screen smearing and artifacting when using the Go 4 app... it makes the tablet unusable. And yes the specs on this tab are very impressive despite it being 4 years old..

I've resorted to shopping around for another tablet because screens on phones are just too small..

One thing you may try is the "Litchi app" it isn't free but it is a very powerful alternative to Go4. And, I noticed the viewing quality on the Tab S to be MUCH better! in fact once I get the drone in the air & away from me the screen performance is quite good! Not perfect but much better!

I think you're overestimating that tablet. Looking at the Antutu scores, the T3 is actually faster than the Tab S, despite being a low-end tablet. And the M3 is significantly faster. You bought a very old tablet, it's no surprise that it's lagging. A 4-year-old device is not even equivalent to the low-end current devices, because the tech evolves so rapidly.

Might I recommend you grab a Fire HD8 from Amazon as your screen? I found mine (refurbished) for only $30 on Woot.com and have had no issues. You can grab refurb ones from Amazon as well.

Vodo,
FYI

I used a Tab S 7 on a Phantom 3P until the last few updates when the video began to scramble. It would never work on the Mavic Pro so now I have a Mini 4.

slkfis

Ok i do agree with you all but tell how is than possible that you can play and look normal 1080p and even 1440p over youtube on that tablet and you can watch 1080 and 1440 video from your sd card or video on tablet internal storage -- and now you can not see and do get artifact and tearing when you connect it to your remote !!??

Is it maybe possible that there is a problem with video codec on Android 6.0.1. and dji go 4.0 app ?? I saw that I can upgrade to Nougat 7.0 Android via some external ram - do you think that maybe it would work if I upgrade my Tab S to Nougat 7.0 ( 6.0.1. is higher it can go official ) - I don't want to risk to brick my tablet if I will get nothing from it ( if I will have problem with artifact and lag again )

thx

Get a 3.0 USB C cable with a gender changer to change from type C to mini USB. and use that. There is a youtube video someone made about using the Samsung Galaxy Tablets with DJI drones.

Get a 3.0 USB C cable with a gender changer to change from type C to mini USB. and use that. There is a youtube video someone made about using the Samsung Galaxy Tablets with DJI drones.
Yes. I saw that videos too. I ordered a the cable and adapter 1.5 feet from Amazon.

So I was just testing this tablet and my. Note 4 as I've been use s7 edge. My tab s seems to be fine and better than note 4. Maybe a little laggy compared to s7 edge but no tearing and lag is maybe .25 second. I'm using stock micro USB from controller. Didnt try the included usbc with adapter. Is there something wrong with included usbc cable?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929