DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

San Diego Harbor CV 41 Midway - Plus Sunset at La Jolla

Been to both of these locations so it was cool to see them from this vantage point...good job, looks good.

Idk if the midway counts as a military base but I wouldn’t fly over I.T. Besides, most of downtown is technically a no fly zone due to the airport radius air space. Both against FAA RULES. Just a heads up.

Do you have permission for that flyover?
Great shot by the way,but if I were you I'm not gonna post it in public domain.
Just saying.......

The Midway was decommissioned after the first Gulf War, and purchased by the City of San Diego and is now a museum.

Yes there are several no-fly zones immediately adjacent to this area, but I obeyed all FAA requirements and planned my flights the day before.

You can check the no fly maps for yourself and see that it's legit.

Idk if the midway counts as a military base but I wouldn’t fly over I.T. Besides, most of downtown is technically a no fly zone due to the airport radius air space. Both against FAA RULES. Just a heads up.
So that we're all on the same page, here is the no fly zone map of San Diego.

The Airport Radius space as you can see does cover some of downtown San Diego, but the southern portions near Gas Lamp (and where I was flying) are not specifically part of that "air space".

There is an authorization zone that kisses the NW corner of the Midway, and I probably brushed it while doing my POI shot, but I was in LoS the whole time and kept a careful eye out for any other aircraft. I was in neither the approach nor departure lanes for Lindberg Airport.

In a nutshell, I did not violate FAA nor military no flys during any part of the flight.

I'm a little surprised actually that the controlled airspace around Lindberg isn't bigger. Those planes on approach come right in over the hill and the houses (ESE of the airport). I wouldn't want to be flying a drone anywhere near that approach lane, even though according to this map I could.

San Diego No Flys.JPG

Last edited:
On that note, I'm kind of tired of DJI's very lazy geofencing. They don't do any geometry except for circles, which isn't the true geofence that is supplied to them. Even looking at my map above, I'm quote sure the Lindberg Field geofence doesn't actually span the harbor all the way to North Island NAS, but DJI is too lazy right now to do it right. Also, when they draw their airport geofences, it's a literal column instead of the generally accepted "upside down wedding cake" that represents the actual FAA enforced controlled air space. Is that really that hard to use by DJI?

So that we're all on the same page, here is the no fly zone map of San Diego.

The Airport Radius space as you can see does cover some of downtown San Diego, but the southern portions near Gas Lamp (and where I was flying) are not specifically part of that "air space".

There is an authorization zone that kisses the NW corner of the Midway, and I probably brushed it while doing my POI shot, but I was in LoS the whole time and kept a careful eye out for any other aircraft. I was in neither the approach nor departure lanes for Lindberg Airport.

In a nutshell, I did not violate FAA nor military no flys during any part of the flight.

I'm a little surprised actually that the controlled airspace around Lindberg isn't bigger. Those planes on approach come right in over the hill and the houses (ESE of the airport). I wouldn't want to be flying a drone anywhere near that approach lane, even though according to this map I could.

View attachment 28847

Was this using the B4UFLY app or is this on google maps somehow?

Cool. Thanks. I'm heading there tomorrow and staying right neat the midway and was wondering about flying that area. I've been there before and didn't fly as I wasn't sure. Plus there was a lot of helicopter activity that day so I didn't want to deal with that. Out of curiosity did you contact anyone to let them know? Not saying you should have was just wondering.

Cool. Thanks. I'm heading there tomorrow and staying right neat the midway and was wondering about flying that area. I've been there before and didn't fly as I wasn't sure. Plus there was a lot of helicopter activity that day so I didn't want to deal with that. Out of curiosity did you contact anyone to let them know? Not saying you should have was just wondering.
I just checked the before you fly app and planned out my flight a couple days before. You are right the area can sometimes have helicopters so you just need to be aware of that when you are flying.

Some cities are rapidly throwing up no drone zone signs and ordinances, but I didn't observe any such signage or ordinances while I was there but you should check.

Having been in the Navy I had to laugh at the
"Re-Up" music. Good choice. Thank you for sharing. If your really want to stir up the forum naysayers, next time do a tower fly-by. :D

Reactions: OCsurfer411
Having been in the Navy I had to laugh at the
"Re-Up" music. Good choice. Thank you for sharing. If your really want to stir up the forum naysayers, next time do a tower fly-by. :D
The tower is solidly in the NFZ, or else I'd love to :)

Glad you liked the video. Thank you for your service. Happy Memorial Day.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair