DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

San Diego

Just arrived in beautiful San Diego. Where are are some 'must fly, locations?

I lived there for most of my life before retiring a couple years ago and moving to the PNW. Too bad I wasn't flying drones back then. Although I take many trips down there and will be bringing my Mavic along.

I've heard La Jolla cove is a great place to fly. I'm looking forward to flying there. Lots of places to fly along the coast. You will have to check for NFZ around airports, military installations, and National Parks, since there are a few.

Have fun!!! I'll be flying there next week!!!

Thanks,
A bunch of guys fly every weekend near Black mountain ranch. It's a great open area, with high ground, and far away from everybody else and has no tree's, houses, structures etc... ping me if you're going there, I live 10 minutes away... Shaun

Google Maps
Thanks for the offer Shaun. I just returned home from Easter break. Sorry I missed you,. but THANKS for the offer.

A bunch of guys fly every weekend near Black mountain ranch. It's a great open area, with high ground, and far away from everybody else and has no tree's, houses, structures etc... ping me if you're going there, I live 10 minutes away... Shaun

Google Maps

Thanks for this info. It is only 45 minutes from me. I will have to add this to my list of places to go fly.

Sunset Cliffs, Mt Soledad, bayview park just to name a few

Just arrived in beautiful San Diego. Where are are some 'must fly, locations?
Been living in Odessa Texas working the oilfields for the past 5 years but before that i lived all my life in Chula Vista San Diego Ca. I say that from south to north I would go to Imperial beach and tijuana estuary first then work my way up the coast through Coronado Island if possible get the bridge really well......and hotel Del Coronado .....then get Petco park and downtown going north to Balboa park and the zoo if possible. After that I would go to Mission beach and Old town. After that (sorry all over the place ) go to the glider port above the nude beach blacks beach in la Jolla north of the cove. end it with a trip to the mountains to Julian. try that for starters.

If you're willing to drive, check out the Warner Springs area. The junction of Hwy 79 and S2 is a good starting point. There's a parking area that's used by travelers that are coming and going to the desert. There are wide open spaces that go for miles with no obstacles. The views of nearby mountains is fabulous. There are many other good spots in the surrounding areas in all directions.

Who was she asking for permission? According to the official FAA app, "B4UFly", there are many places along the San Diego coast that don't show any restrictions. And many of the places that have restrictions, you just need to notify them when and where you are flying.

Who was she asking for permission? According to the official FAA app, "B4UFly", there are many places along the San Diego coast that don't show any restrictions. And many of the places that have restrictions, you just need to notify them when and where you are flying.

She said she had to drive all the way from her home (which I believe is in Orange County) to San Diego to find a beach where she was allowed to fly

I fly a lot at Torrey pines state beach out over the lagoon because theres no one to annoy and I can get some great shots of the trains going by, the bridges, etc.. I do try to go during the weekday afternoon so I dont have large crowds to contend with, but so far no ones complained to me.

Been living in Odessa Texas working the oilfields for the past 5 years but before that i lived all my life in Chula Vista San Diego Ca. I say that from south to north I would go to Imperial beach and tijuana estuary first then work my way up the coast through Coronado Island if possible get the bridge really well......and hotel Del Coronado .....then get Petco park and downtown going north to Balboa park and the zoo if possible. After that I would go to Mission beach and Old town. After that (sorry all over the place ) go to the glider port above the nude beach blacks beach in la Jolla north of the cove. end it with a trip to the mountains to Julian. try that for starters.

Are you kidding? Most of the places you suggested are NO FLY ZONES!!!

Anyone had any experience flying in Coronado? I'm staying at the Del for a conference and thought I could get some flying in down there. It looks like I just need to notify SAN and North Island, but it doesn't look like it's restricted other than that.

ya I wouldnt fly on Coronado. Between SAN, NINAS, Crown, 32nd Street, the ENTIRE pacific fleet base, Seal Beach Training sites, its just too risky, you literally have a small sliver where its not a federal offense to fly. if you dont have a car, just get a rental for a day and drive out of the city proper north or east to wide open areas just outside the city. I dont think you can "notify" the naval bases that you intend on flying your drone, well I guess you could, but it probably wouldn't go over well.. LOL

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erroos