DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SanDisk 128GB Memory Card Issue

cjonesmn

Reactions
I have a recurring issue with the "SanDisk 128GB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card" I use in my M2P. About every third shoot (or so) I get a "disk unreadable. please format" type error when I try to upload files from my M2P. I have no idea why this happens, but If I reformat that card every other time, I do NOT have this issue.

Is anyone else here using the 128 GB disks AND having this problem? I'm thinking of using to the 64GB card to see if this resolves it. I should mention that when I first got this card, I immediately re-formatted it via DJI Go4 when I first installed it. Thanks.

Reactions: Thanohano44
I had a write error 1 time with my 64 Gb card, but not a read error; it was corrected with a clean format (was able to save/re-load the existing files). 2 things come to mind:
1) I would format (and do a chkdsk--remember that?) on a PC, not the drone, and
2) IMHO, 128 Gb cards are problematic with some hardware configs (like a drone)
YMMV.

I had a write error 1 time with my 64 Gb card, but not a read error; it was corrected with a clean format (was able to save/re-load the existing files). 2 things come to mind:
1) I would format (and do a chkdsk--remember that?) on a PC, not the drone, and
2) IMHO, 128 Gb cards are problematic with some hardware configs (like a drone)
YMMV.
You suggest a reformat on a PC? I always thought rule was to do the reformat on the same device using the card (?).

I posted this issue about a year ago and the consensus at that time was that the issue was probably the fact that I reformatted the disk to begin with. No one seems to format disks when they first get them any more.

I'm old school so I didn't buy into that, but yet I continue to have this issue. BTW, I do recall chkdsk ;-) I'll give that shot. Thanks for the help...

You suggest a reformat on a PC? I always thought rule was to do the reformat on the same device using the card (?).
I might agree...except for that we're talking about 128 Gb, which have known hardware incompatibilities.
The chkdsk command can be your friend with these sort of things (but has to be run from a DOS prompt).

Reactions: cjonesmn
I might agree...except for that we're talking about 128 Gb, which have known hardware incompatibilities.
The chkdsk command can be your friend with these sort of things (but has to be run from a DOS prompt).
True, although the Mavic 2 Pro manual says that you can use up to 128GB cards. I'll do the chkdsk routine (via dos prompt), but if it doesn't find any issues, I think I'll switch to the 64GB version and see how that works.

It's more a myth than a rule.
It's one of those things that sounds right but really makes no difference.
If teh drone objects to the way the card was formatted, it will complain and ask you to reformat it.
I've formatted thousands of times in the computer and never had any issue as a result.

You might have a problem SD card.
Try a different card and see if that is any different.

It's more a myth than a rule.
It's one of those things that sounds right but really makes no difference.
If teh drone objects to the way the card was formatted, it will complain and ask you to reformat it.
I've formatted thousands of times in the computer and never had any issue as a result.

You might have a problem SD card.
Try a different card and see if that is any different.
It's not that the drone doesn't like the card, it's the PC that doesn't recognize the sd card when connecting the drone via USB cable. Again, this only happens sporadically, on about 3rd time or so. I checked the card for issues... the test showed none. I'll switch to the 64GB card to see if the issue goes away.

I use the 128GB in my M2Z loading to my Mac on occasion I get that . I shut off the drone and load again with no problem. Formatting in the drone removes the videos.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SFC