DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Saving improperly closed files

previtij

Reactions
This is probably a rookie question. I am new to Drone Photography. I am utilizing a DJI Mini 2 and editing with DaVinci Resolve 17. As most photographers know, if you power down the drone before closing a file it leaves the file in an unstable state. I have two files from my last outing that might have suffered this fate. The files load into DaVinci and I can edit them. They fail during the rendering process and I notice in the timeline that there is no time information. Is there any process I could use that would repair these files? They both play normally in VLC.

If the files where not closed down before powering down they should not even play in VLC from my experience but I guess anything is possible. One thing you might want to try is start a short video and close it down the right way. In most cases this will repair any damaged files on the card.
There are other 3rd party programs that might also work but that would be the easiest way to try first.

Reactions: Tufargon
If in the drone, just powering down closes out the sd card. If in the smart controller you must "pop up" the sd card for it to be properly closed for use in other computers. Yeah - pop up is what DJI calls "eject" ...

If in the drone, just powering down closes out the sd card.
The OP is not asking about 'closing out' the SD card... he's talking about powering down the drone while video is still recording.

@umanbean

Good point... but if VLC can play the file, VLC should also be able to convert the file to some intermediate format, and make the file whole again.

@previtij
Try the CONVERT/SAVE feature under the VLC File menu. Change the format from H264 the or H265 to something else, like DIVX or MPEG-4, let the process complete; then run it again to convert back to whichever the original format was. There will be some loss of quality, but better that than a full loss of data.

You have to add the file, then open the Convert/Save submenu, then change the video codec. The VLC convert menus aren't exactly intuitive, but stick with it and you'll get there.

Reactions: Grandpa
I had no luck recovering a video using VLC, but this worked like a charm. Kernel Video Repair It costs $30 but they let you try it for free to see if it will work. Saved my bacon. Good luck.

I had no luck recovering a video using VLC,
Neither have I... nor have I ever heard or read of anyone else being able to. It might be possible somehow, but VLC is just not the right tool for that job.

Funny thing is the OP has not responded if any of the solutions has helped. LOL
I always find that funny when people come here for help and then just disappear leaving those who tried to help hanging.

Reactions: PhotoDB
@umanbean Maybe you missed my point - I gave you the name of a program that DID work.
No sir, I did not miss your point... I was agreeing with you regarding VLC being the wrong tool for the job. Thanks for the link, but I haven't had the problem of an improperly closed video for years now.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka