DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Saving to SD Card ?

tjpearson

Reactions
Sorry if this is stupid question but noticed on the DJI fly app it asks me each time to format inserted sd card so I’m assuming my stills and video footage will automatically save to card and not phone. Also is there a quick way of transferring pic and video to PC without having to remove card each time, such as software that will see the attached drone as a hard drive allowing you to navigate to card contents. By the way I convinced my brother in law to buy one and dji fly app happily works on his Samsung S8.

As far as I know full sized images are stored in either the mSD card or the drone's internal memory, I think the mSD card is the default. The 'images' on the phone are lower resolution, for me they seem to be about 1/3 or less of the size of the corresponding image on the mSD card.
Personally I find removing the card and putting it into a reader attached to my computer to be the easiest method of transfer. The cable connection does seem slightly faster, 20+ Mb/s vs 18Mb/s for me, but my computer is 'old'.
That said I am biased, I DISLIKE making and breaking micro USB connections any more than absolutely necessary. That said I generally try to leave a card in the 'camera' until it is nearly full before transfering images, memory card prices are cheap enough to carry 32G or 64G 'spares'
I have no recollection of the Mini asking me to format the card when it is refitted but, if relevant, I remove it and refit it with the drone switched off and only very occasionally switch the drone on with out the card being refitted, if I have done so I see a message about switching the storage to the mSD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Full res photos and videos can be downloaded wirelessly from the drone. Switch everythign on and connect your phone to the controller as if you were going to fly, then go into the album and select the pics/vids you want to download to your phone. Note that videos can take a while to transfer and the drone can get quite warm when it's on but not flying. Some people use a desk fan to keep it cool.

You can also plug the drone in via the USB port and access it from a PC like a digital camera. Again, the drone needs to be on for this.

Reactions: tjpearson
Hi everyone,
My phone memory is very quick full with the size of video.
Is that possible to record directly to SD Card in the phone instead of phone memory ? There is no option in DJI Fly app.
Thanks for advice !!

Hi everyone,
My phone memory is very quick full with the size of video.
Is that possible to record directly to SD Card in the phone instead of phone memory ? There is no option in DJI Fly app.
Thanks for advice !!
You should be initially saving to the SD card in the DRONE. Video is large and takes too long to transfer from the drone to the phone/tablet while flying. But you can download it from the drone to your phone or phone's sd card afer to shoot the video.

Mini-Download Pics.jpg

Thanks everyone. If I understood correctly, it is not possible to save the cache directly on the auxiliary SD card in the phone instead of internal memory of the phone.
It is better to prohibit the cache on the phone. Save only to the drone's SD Card and then download from the drone's SD-card.
I will try these settings.
Thanks again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000