DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Saying hello from Westfield Massachusetts

DroneGnome

Reactions
Here to introduce myself. I hail from Westfield MA on the outskirts of restricted airspace around Barnes Airport. I’m a new drone owner, Mavic Air 2, within the past 30 days. The drone is registered, and I’m studying for my 107.
So far my flying excursions have been to familiarize myself with the manual operations of the drone and controller , mostly in my backyard. I’ve encountered a few trees and crashed a few times, but no damage to the drone. I’ll be venturing out to some wide open space soon to put the drone through it’s paces with some of the features that are autonomous, otherwise I’ll be racking up more crashes in my tight wooded backyard.
I landed on this page while doing some snooping around for more info on the upcoming rules regarding remote id.
Thought it would be a good idea to get acquainted more and this forum seemed like the right hit to do that.
Sorry for the long intro, I have a problem with being long winded.
Hello to all who read my introduction, and happy and safe flying.
I hope to come up with questions that some of you may be able to offer help with, but presently I need to get familiarized with the content of the forum and see what more it offers that I can discover on my own.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

Welcome to the forum. You will find all sorts of support and assistance. We look forward to your contribution.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to our forum, from Hauptmann in North Texas!

The MA2 is a great machine with a great camera. Lots of cool stuff to shoot all over New England.

Read the manual (link below), and be conservative at first. Practice using "Find My Drone". Don't wait until you lose your MA2 before you try to learn how to find it. We have over 100,000 members world wide--including many in Mass--to help you advance as a pilot and photographer. Ask for help when you need it. Share your work when you can.

Thanks for joining!

Mavic Air 2 - Downloads - DJI

Here to introduce myself. I hail from Westfield MA on the outskirts of restricted airspace around Barnes Airport. I’m a new drone owner, Mavic Air 2, within the past 30 days. The drone is registered, and I’m studying for my 107.
So far my flying excursions have been to familiarize myself with the manual operations of the drone and controller , mostly in my backyard. I’ve encountered a few trees and crashed a few times, but no damage to the drone. I’ll be venturing out to some wide open space soon to put the drone through it’s paces with some of the features that are autonomous, otherwise I’ll be racking up more crashes in my tight wooded backyard.
I landed on this page while doing some snooping around for more info on the upcoming rules regarding remote id.
Thought it would be a good idea to get acquainted more and this forum seemed like the right hit to do that.
Sorry for the long intro, I have a problem with being long winded.
Hello to all who read my introduction, and happy and safe flying.
I hope to come up with questions that some of you may be able to offer help with, but presently I need to get familiarized with the content of the forum and see what more it offers that I can discover on my own.
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic Air 2, I absolutely love mine! Good luck on your certification, Fly safe and have fun!

Welcome to the forums - a lot of good info here. So, take a look around and hope you enjoy some of the fine photography and information posted by the members.

If you haven't done so already I suggest KittyHawk and/or Skymap. Also check out this ----->Visualize it: See FAA UAS Data on a Map

Depending on where you fly, not only Barnes but Westover also covers a lot of the area with controlled airspace. The area from where Rt 20 crosses under the Mass Pike just east of Russell to just west of East Wilbraham is in some type of controlled airspace

Thank you for the suggestions. And the welcome.
I have the DJI Fly app, Kittyhawk, B4UFLY, and AirMap apps installed. I’ve noticed how much controlled airspace there is in my vicinity, and am looking around the area for some other spaces to fly. I get to hear the F15’s flying overhead going right over my house four times a day, from Barnes ANG base also.
I keep a low profile in my yard so far, considering my home is located in class D airspace. I inquired about a LAANC but so far there aren’t any available, as per the info on Kittyhawk. What I have yet to get answered, is it okay to fly at all in the location I am in, meaning my yard, if it’s within a class D airspace.E9279138-0048-4B93-97AD-1134EC739C30.png

Welcome to our forum, from Hauptmann in North Texas!

The MA2 is a great machine with a great camera. Lots of cool stuff to shoot all over New England.

Read the manual (link below), and be conservative at first. Practice using "Find My Drone". Don't wait until you lose your MA2 before you try to learn how to find it. We have over 100,000 members world wide--including many in Mass--to help you advance as a pilot and photographer. Ask for help when you need it. Share your work when you can.

Thanks for joining!

Mavic Air 2 - Downloads - DJI

I have used the “Find my drone” feature and it came in handy for one of my incidents. I’ve been practicing flying in the woods behind the house and it’s like a jungle. Got caught up in some low hanging weeping willow branches. I’m being more careful now and flying slower to avoid doing it again. I’m learning.

@DroneGnome You are in controlled airspace so you would need an authorization to legally fly there.

Just sent you a PM

Welcome to the forum! :)

Reactions: DroneGnome
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica