DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SC and DJI Go4 app problem - grey frozen screen

Janko

Reactions
Looks like I'm a magnet for problems - DJI app stops in mid-flight, the image turns gray and freezes like when I turn off the drone while the smartcontroller is still on
All firmwares (AC and SC) were reinstalled (refreshed) day before yesterday. The refresh was made while the SD cards (formatted both) were off the drone and smartcontroller. Of course, when the application crashes there is no flight log from the beginning of the flight to that moment. The drone normally responds to the commands of the smartcontroller but in order to have image transfer I have to lower the drone, shut it down and start again. Restarting the application on the fly brings a gray blank display.The same thing happened to me the other day, I thought I pressed something so I didn't give it any importance. Now I know that there are some other bugs in the new firmware or application besides the ones I already reported

Attachments

• Screen20200119_161105.jpg
    Screen20200119_161105.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 26
First, you should check your crash logs.

"I looked through the files on the SD card that's in the SC, and found some log files in a "Crash" folder. The times of these files seem to correspond to the times of these DJI Go 4 crashes or stops. "

I had the problem you describe for a short time.
Was solved by doing 2 things - so could be 1 or the other, or both.

1) disabled ALL caching to the SC.
I don't use the poor quality capture anyway, so turned off.

**2) Make sure ALL other background apps are closed/forced stopped

"Good news!
Flew 3 batteries with no app crashes.
Flew with GO app then Litchi app and back and forth with no problems.
Starting the Litchi app WILL cause the Amazon app store app to also launch in the background.
(if you installed Litchi through the Amazon app store)
So before relaunching the Go app, I force stop both Litchi AND the Amazon app.
This may have been the fix needed - making sure both Litchi and Amazon apps force stopped before using GO app again.
Or, it may have been SD card related, because ->
I also disabled cache as I never use video from the SC.
So it could have been this that fixed it.
At this point, I'm not going to try to fully isolate what the problem may have been - because it's working again!
But I figure it was the background app running using memory needed by the GO app as my cache was almost empty and set to 2GB when I had the problems and the card is fine as I sometimes save screen recordings to it.
So you could try both these things (make sure all other background apps are force stopped and/or cache is disabled)
if you are having GO app crashes with a crash log like:

===== Crash =====
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Failed to allocate a 4177932 byte allocation with 2864488 free bytes and 2MB until OOM "

Reactions: Janko

"I looked through the files on the SD card that's in the SC, and found some log files in a "Crash" folder. The times of these files seem to correspond to the times of these DJI Go 4 crashes or stops. "

"Good news!
Starting the Litchi app WILL cause the Amazon app store app to also launch in the background.
This may have been the fix needed - making sure both Litchi and Amazon apps force stopped before using GO app again.
At this point, I'm not going to try to fully isolate what the problem may have been - because it's working again!
But I figure it was the background app running using memory needed by the GO app as my cache was almost empty and set to 2GB when I had the problems and the card is fine as I sometimes save screen recordings to it.
So you could try both these things (make sure all other background apps are force stopped and/or cache is disabled)

===== Crash =====
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Failed to allocate a 4177932 byte allocation with 2864488 free bytes and 2MB until OOM "

Thanks for the reply and hint, I have nothing installed on SC except what is factory installed, so it remains cash only.

"Good news!

===== Crash =====

I turned off these things in the settings so we'll see, that's what you mean, I guess?

Attachments

• SC.jpg
    SC.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 26
4 flights : 0 problems

"Good news!

===== Crash =====

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair