DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SC Firmware update and DJI Fly 1.4.8

Roamer105

Reactions
Recently DJI updated the Fly app and the Smart Controller to support the Mini. (SC firmware upgrade). I don't own a mini, but I wanted to take advantage of the improvements of the Fly app since I own an Air 2s.
I am excited to say: DJI did a great job fixing the many issues of the Fly app some of them exacerbated when using it on a Smart Controller. Aside from supporting the mini.
This update is well worth the effort for anyone using the Fly app - even more so if using the Fly app on the SC.

Reactions: Rattydude77
Recently DJI updated the Fly app and the Smart Controller to support the Mini. (SC firmware upgrade). I don't own a mini, but I wanted to take advantage of the improvements of the Fly app since I own an Air 2s.
I am excited to say: DJI did a great job fixing the many issues of the Fly app some of them exacerbated when using it on a Smart Controller. Aside from supporting the mini.
This update is well worth the effort for anyone using the Fly app - even more so if using the Fly app on the SC.
Mine updated from 1.4.0 to 1.4.4- but did not auto 1.4.8 as usual. Flew with 1.4.4 and found several changes - some not for better that everybody will use. Now a horizontal slider bar for EV control versus the vertical one in prior versions. The new slide just seemed more finicky to get it to move and would jump several stops. The "picture" data setting in the lower right now sticks at 9999, where in past if you touched it, it would correctly read your internal or SD card MB / GB amount. In video, new is "time left of recording" versus the old data counter - which is okay. I did not have more time to check other settings to see any changes.

Had to go into DJI Downloads and pick 1.4.8 APK - so DJI may not have it set to push out. Also last push shows 1.4.2 - so no idea HOW I got 1.4.4!

Now I need to fly 1.4.8 to see what those differences may be, if any.

What have others found that has changed from like 1.4.0 up 1.4.8?

What did you think was fixed?
The main fix relates to autofocus (touching a point on the screen to focus). The active area used to be the WHOLE screen affecting any other controls. More often than not, focus was invoked instead of any of the touch controls you might have wanted to activate. On the SC that effect was really bad. On my phone it was somewhat less of a problem.

Now, there is a smaller area active for focus around the center of the image excluding all areas with other controls. When you touch the area active for focus a rectangular "dashed" box highlights the active area.

There are several other interface improvements and exposure lock is now working fine and shows status when touching the screen or pushing the exposure lock button (if so assigned).

The part I wish for DJI to focus on the next update:
1) If autofocus is selected touching an area on the screen invokes focus action. However, while recording video, anytime the drone is not moving or panning ("sitting still relative to what the camera sees") autofocus is automatically invoked and there is no option to turn that on or off -- very annoying. I don't like manual focus as it is very difficult to use precisely short of simply putting it at infinite which is a point hopefully properly calibrated.

2) Using the automatic exposure option works really well and the new EV slider interface is excellent. I usually let the auto exposure do its job, setting the EV to -.7 or -1 depending on what I shoot then FIX the exposure before I start the shooting. I wish it would also FIX the white balance, but it does not. That is a problem. It is very easy to forget to set it to manual before shooting.

3) I shoot almost everything in HLG on the A2S. During the shoot with HLG, the image on the controller is discolored and low brightness. I wish the image quality enhancement option used for Dlog would work similarly for HLG.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82