DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SCAM: Used Drones re-packaged and sold as new?

JetM

Reactions
I've seen a number of ads on various platforms (e.g., OfferUp, ebay) where sellers or an individual users are supposedly selling a brand new (unopened box...current drone..e.g. Air2S) for a a really low price (e.g., Flymore combo for less than "standalone" drone). Is anyone aware of any scams where a user sells DJI drones in a sealed box but the drone is not actually new (refurbed or used)? I know this happens with iPhones purchased on eBay all the time (used/refurbed products repacked in fake Apple boxes) but curious if this scam is occurring with the DJI products also.

With that as a back drop here are some questions:

Even if the drone looks new is there a way to verify that the drone is new? Have DJI check Serial#?, Logs, etc.
Can DJI tell you if the drone has been registered? Flown?
Is there a serial number on the outside of the box that DJI could verify?
Does DJI have the ability to brick a drone if it has been reported as stolen (ala what Apple can do)? The platform I'm looking to purchase the Drone from has a two day protection period for the product you've purchased but if DJI had the capability to brick a stolen product after 3 days of flight then that would make the 2 day protection period useless.

I figured that this forum has probably seen or heard of many of the scams associated with DJI drones and I'm interested in hearing peoples thoughts.

Cheers

It could be stolen off the shelf, although I have nothing else to say which is useful towards that.

It could be stolen off the shelf, although I have nothing else to say which is useful towards that.
Also, if you get chased down the street by a crazy person shouting ‘Gimme back my drone!’, you probably have your answer.

Also, if you get chased down the street by a crazy person shouting ‘Gimme back my drone!’, you probably have your answer.
HaHa, but that would mean that the original owner would have slipped in a GPS tracker. I'll just look for one of those and crush it with a hammer. LOL.

I've seen a number of ads on various platforms (e.g., OfferUp, ebay) where sellers or an individual users are supposedly selling a brand new (unopened box...current drone..e.g. Air2S) for a a really low price (e.g., Flymore combo for less than "standalone" drone). Is anyone aware of any scams where a user sells DJI drones in a sealed box but the drone is not actually new (refurbed or used)? I know this happens with iPhones purchased on eBay all the time (used/refurbed products repacked in fake Apple boxes) but curious if this scam is occurring with the DJI products also.

With that as a back drop here are some questions:

Even if the drone looks new is there a way to verify that the drone is new? Have DJI check Serial#?, Logs, etc.
Can DJI tell you if the drone has been registered? Flown?
Is there a serial number on the outside of the box that DJI could verify?
Does DJI have the ability to brick a drone if it has been reported as stolen (ala what Apple can do)? The platform I'm looking to purchase the Drone from has a two day protection period for the product you've purchased but if DJI had the capability to brick a stolen product after 3 days of flight then that would make the 2 day protection period useless.

I figured that this forum has probably seen or heard of many of the scams associated with DJI drones and I'm interested in hearing peoples thoughts.

Cheers
I've had a lot of experience with this selling on eBay and OfferUp. However, the scam with people on OfferUp is that they don't really have the drone. Many of the listings will have an Air 2 listed as an Air 2S or vice versa. When you contact them, they always want you to either contact them on their cellphone, but they all want you to pay through CashApp, Venmo, or anything other than through the mother website or PayPal. The reason is that PayPal or the mother website usually have ways that you can get your money back. However, with CashApp, Venmo, Zelle, etc, you can't get your money back after you've sent it. You'll also often notice that they joined that very month. I find that OfferUp is especially filled with such scammers but I haven't seen any on eBay. They do a good job of keeping scamming sellers off. Now for buying scammers that's another story. There's plenty of them.

I was wondering if that may the case as well. The person selling it already had an aggressive price on it as is but mentioned that they'd be open to negotiation. It makes me wonder why would someone price it that low and open the door to negotiation. If it's stolen then it's all profit for them so no harm for them in negotiating. And while I wouldn't want to reward a thief by buying a stolen product I certainly don't want to end up with a bricked stolen product (if DJI has that capability).

Reactions: Joethedrone
I was wondering if that may the case as well. The person selling it already had an aggressive price on it as is but mentioned that they'd be open to negotiation. It makes me wonder why would someone price it that low and open the door to negotiation. If it's stolen then it's all profit for them so no harm for them in negotiating. And while I wouldn't want to reward a thief by buying a stolen product I certainly don't want to end up with a bricked stolen product (if DJI has that capability).
Sounds a little like a desperate addict wanting a quick fix.

Been selling on eBay for close to 20 years. eBay sales are easy to deal with. If the item is not as described just request a return and refund on eBay with the reason being Not As Described. Using that reason the seller is forced to provide a paid shipping label for the return and to refund you. If they fail to send the return label, after about 10 day eBay will refund you and let you keep the item. If they don't send the refund eBay will just take the money out of their account.

I've had a lot of experience with this selling on eBay and OfferUp. However, the scam with people on OfferUp is that they don't really have the drone. Many of the listings will have an Air 2 listed as an Air 2S or vice versa. When you contact them, they always want you to either contact them on their cellphone, but they all want you to pay through CashApp, Venmo, or anything other than through the mother website or PayPal. The reason is that PayPal or the mother website usually have ways that you can get your money back. However, with CashApp, Venmo, Zelle, etc, you can't get your money back after you've sent it. You'll also often notice that they joined that very month. I find that OfferUp is especially filled with such scammers but I haven't seen any on eBay. They do a good job of keeping scamming sellers off. Now for buying scammers that's another story. There's plenty of them.
Thanks for your thoughts. I think you are right on the money with this one. The person just joined in October and they included their phone# in the post and encouraged potential buyers to text them if they had any questions. And they also opened the door to negotiate a lower price but yet when you use the in app "Make an offer" button it doesn't allow you to set your offer purchase price. Maybe the "offer" button doesn't work the way I think it does. But me still thinks something is Rotten in Denmark. 😉

I would never communicate outside of the app or pay outside of the app as that would void my 2 day protection as a buyer. But good that you referenced that potential risk.

I may just toy with the seller to see if this is a scam and then report them.

Cheers

Been selling on eBay for close to 20 years. eBay sales are easy to deal with. If the item is not as described just request a return and refund on eBay with the reason being Not As Described. Using that reason the seller is forced to provide a paid shipping label for the return and to refund you. If they fail to send the return label, after about 10 day eBay will refund you and let you keep the item. If they don't send the refund eBay will just take the money out of their account.
Good to know...In this case the seller is on "OfferUp"...they too have some buyer protections built in as long as you stay within the app for communications and transactions.

This link may be useful?

It was used back in the Spark days and it still may work.

Enter the serial number and it will return the manufacture date of the number.

Also from the Spark days, if it was a refurbished product, an "R" would be in the serial number at the end of the number.

I'm not sure if it's still relevant today. 🤔

What was that story I heard so long ago? "If it's sounds too good to be true, ..."
If it were being sold for $500 then that would be too good to be true but this one is the FMC at just under the price of the standalone drone. People have different motivations for selling, need the money, got it as a gift and didn't return it within the return window, etc. So I wouldn't classify this price as being too good to be true..but it's on the borderline...so maybe he's a "smart" scammer?

Thanks. Is there a serial # on the outside of the box?

If it were being sold for $500 then that would be too good to be true but this one is the FMC at just under the price of the standalone drone. People have different motivations for selling, need the money, got it as a gift and didn't return it within the return window, etc. So I wouldn't classify this price as being too good to be true..but it's on the borderline...so maybe he's a "smart" scammer?
I don't even bother to contact them anymore. It's too much of a chore to even report them. There are simply too many. There're literally more DJI scammers on OfferUp than genuine sellers! I wish OfferUp added a function to screen out sellers who just joined. I know it would also screen out a few genuine sellers but all the scammers are simply unacceptable. The worst thing about it is that some people fall for the trick!

I don't even bother to contact them anymore. It's too much of a chore to even report them. There are simply too many. There're literally more DJI scammers on OfferUp than genuine sellers! I wish OfferUp added a function to screen out sellers who just joined. I know it would also screen out a few genuine sellers but all the scammers are simply unacceptable. The worst thing about it is that some people fall for the trick!
Understand....If they don't have a way to easily report a scammer (inApp feature) then OfferUp is ultimately doing harm to themselves. I think I'm going to play this one out a bit and see if I can easily spot the scam and then report the person. I will call it my good deed of the day. Although the scammer will probably be back online in hour under a different name. I'm jussayin...

PS. FWIW, I just checked and it does appear that OfferUp does have a way to report items/users from within their app.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcb2627