DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scenario 1: signal loss, within VLOS (moved to Mavic General Discussion)

geigy

Reactions
You are flying your drone within line of sight, and lose signal. What steps do you take, and in what order?

Good ideas. I would have the beer after the drone landed, but that's a good plan. So, scenario 3 is loss of connection, and video downlink, at close range - within visual range.
  1. If the drone has headroom, punch the accelerator. If the drone is receiving signal, it may move up and restore r/c signal. Since you are within VLOS you will be able to verify this visually.
  2. At the same time as step 1, check that the transmitter has it's antennae extended, and facing the drone squarely. Hold the r/c as high overhead as possible.
  3. Move away from metal structures, picnic tables, playground structures, cars, etc, that might interfere with the r/c signal.
  4. Move to higher ground and/or toward the drone, since it's within LOS you can probably get under it in just a few minutes and either regain control, or intervene if necessary when the drone eventually lands.
  5. Wait for RTH to do its job, and then have a beer as Masheen suggests! :)
Notes: Do not restart the app for signal loss unless it appears to be crashed, this would probably be an unnecessary sacrifice of control, and may have the side effect of preventing the last location of your drone from being recorded accurately. If you are in a special flight mode, such as POI or Waypoint mode, the drone can continue through a no-signal area, and regain signal on its own later.

That's all I can think of. I hope some of you can think of things to add to the list.

Reactions: Masheen
(moving this thread to the Mavicpilots group, since there's not a lot of response and it's harder for me to keep track of here)

Do you mean total loss of RC connection or lost image transmission?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada