DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scenic Places to fly in Farmington area

xanthic

Reactions
Hello there! Looking for scenic places to fly around the Farmington area.

looking to fly legally

thanks and stay safe!

Hello there! Looking for scenic places to fly around the Farmington area.

looking to fly legally

thanks and stay safe!
I find bridges and bodies of water are great places to fly. I'd say everywhere (except the desert) has to have at least one of those nearby.

Reactions: xanthic
I find bridges and bodies of water are great places to fly. I'd say everywhere (except the desert) has to have at least one of those nearby.
Thank you. I went up to Animas river white water park.

beautiful area but I couldn’t get my drone off the ground.
the control wouldn’t link with the drone.

You are close to Shiprock and other beautiful landmarks. Check with the Navajo Tribe about what is legal on their Reservation.

Thank you. I went up to Animas river white water park.

beautiful area but I couldn’t get my drone off the ground.
the control wouldn’t link with the drone.
Hate when that happens.

Having planned (but not yet executed) a trip into Navajo county; drones are prohibited throughout the Navajo nation... not just parks... with the possible exception of commercial filming permits (process and $$).

Your absolutely correct. The reservations in my area, (Acoma specifically) forbid any type of camera and taking pictures on the Rez. And they do prosecute. I know that you can get waivers or permission but it’s a lot of hoops to cross and some won’t let you unless you have native blood.

Your absolutely correct. The reservations in my area, (Acoma specifically) forbid any type of camera and taking pictures on the Rez. And they do prosecute. I know that you can get waivers or permission but it’s a lot of hoops to cross and some won’t let you unless you have native blood.
And I don't imagine they count Pomo, Tlingit, or Aleut (I have a rather checkered heritage).

And I don't imagine they count Pomo, Tlingit, or Aleut (I have a rather checkered heritage).
Well, I do know that some (I worked at a fire dept on one of the reservations here)
and know that some will ask for proof via tribal records. Some will not accept DNA reports. Some will accept outsiders as long as they can prove their native, others will only let you if your a member of their tribe. And some will let you take pictures but you’ll have to pay and follow strict guidelines.
but it really just depends. one could say yes and another no. Usually if you know someone from the tribe and they can vouch for you, you’ll have a better chance of getting permission. I’m sure you know that, I’m just babbling lol.

where Are you planning to go on your trip?

Well, I do know that some (I worked at a fire dept on one of the reservations here)
and know that some will ask for proof via tribal records. Some will not accept DNA reports. Some will accept outsiders as long as they can prove their native, others will only let you if your a member of their tribe. And some will let you take pictures but you’ll have to pay and follow strict guidelines.
but it really just depends. one could say yes and another no. Usually if you know someone from the tribe and they can vouch for you, you’ll have a better chance of getting permission. I’m sure you know that, I’m just babbling lol.

where Are you planning to go on your trip?
It's a full Route 66 (and beyond) next Spring (tied to a family wedding in Toronto in June). Expect to spend a fair amount of time using the drone, as well as my still.

In my pre-drone days I've visited Acoma (twice), Canyon de Chelley (twice), Monument Valley (three times), and Taos Pueblo (twice). Bought the photography pass where needed all times.
Will be doing a side trip up to MV from Winslow for two nights so we can get a full day tour, then return to Route 66 in Gallup (with lunch stop in Window Rock). Wife is big fan of SW Native American artwork (my fault for introducing her to it); so we may pick up another basket or rug or four. We have a modern version of an Acoma pot we picked up in Albuquerque that was alleged to have been done by an Acoma fire fighter. Has a place of pride in the bedroom bookcase.

Never bothered to register with the Aleut corporation during the 70s when the Alaska Native Claim Act was going on, so no real proof of tribal affiliation (other than a bunch of relatives who DID register). Amusingly enough; my Aleut/Tlingit/Pomo/Russian grandmother was married in Gallup; amidst the Navajo/Acoma/Zuni (she married a ATSF telegrapher... but now I'M babbling).

Will be doing my best to avoid overflying any reservation land. Could be dicey in western NM with all those checkerboard boundaries. Will be buying photo permits wherever I can, and behaving myself where I should.

I’m curious who the firefighter was! good chance I worked with them since I worked at Acoma fire. I worked on shift with a kiva mama who always made sure we were fed lol.

I live in Grants/Milan between Albuquerque and Gallup so you’ll pass through here. I’m familiar with the area so if you need any advice I’m more than happy to assist!

as far as drone laws in my neck of the woods, LEO’s don’t seem to have much knowledge with drones nor care as long as your being smart.
here in the mt. Taylor & zuni mountains you can fly as long as there’s not an active fire (what I as told by forest service)
there’s a lot of scenic places to fly Here.

Small world huh? I think it’s fascinating how your connected to the area.
Well, if I can figure out why my drone isn’t syncing to my drone I’ll be good!

I’m curious who the firefighter was! good chance I worked with them since I worked at Acoma fire. I worked on shift with a kiva mama who always made sure we were fed lol.

I live in Grants/Milan between Albuquerque and Gallup so you’ll pass through here. I’m familiar with the area so if you need any advice I’m more than happy to assist!

as far as drone laws in my neck of the woods, LEO’s don’t seem to have much knowledge with drones nor care as long as your being smart.
here in the mt. Taylor & zuni mountains you can fly as long as there’s not an active fire (what I as told by forest service)
there’s a lot of scenic places to fly Here.

Small world huh? I think it’s fascinating how your connected to the area.
Well, if I can figure out why my drone isn’t syncing to my drone I’ll be good!
Pot is signed and we have a sheet with info. Nathaniel Vallo. The pot is etched, not painted.

May reach out when I get closer to the actual trip; good talking to you! (Do they still have the faux baskets painted on old satellite dishes in Grants?)

Attachments

• 20211011_145734.jpg
    20211011_145734.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 2
I'd like to recommend that you set the Navajo lands aside, and instead spend time in the general Moab area. There's lots of BLM/Recreation area land that has really spectacular views and flying that is legal. The early morning and late afternoon are great for recording the landscapes at their best.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242