DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

School Teacher

allnamestaken

Reactions
Hello.. is a school teacher flying drones with a club or class consider recreational? My thought would be the teacher is on school time and getting paid.

Reactions: AnzacJack
is a school teacher flying drones with a club or class consider recreational?
No.

Recreational flying would be when you head out to fly by yourself after you're done teaching and you've left work (the school) for the day.

No.

Recreational flying would be when you head out to fly by yourself after you're done teaching and you've left work (the school) for the day.

So k-12 school teachers are required to have a remote pilot certificate when working with students? Please confirm with documentation if possible. :)

Is your activity with the students "in furtherance of a business?" I.e., are you making money?
If you are just out with some kids, not wearing your teacher hat, no issue. And that could be a sticky issue if some legal liability issue came up.

Is your activity with the students "in furtherance of a business?" I.e., are you making money?
Teaching at a school is in furtherance of a business (even if the teacher is working for free).

If you are just out with some kids, not wearing your teacher hat, no issue.
If a teacher is at a school (their workplace) teaching students (their customers), then it seems the teacher would no longer be flying as a hobbyist (just for fun) since they are flying for work.

As always, one should contact the FAA directly if there are any doubts.

Per the FAA www
Educational Users

Educational Users
Do you use drones in your classroom or do you run a drone training program?
To fly drones for educational or instructional purposes (for example, teaching a STEM class or a drone training program) there are 2 options:

Option 1: Fly under Part 107

Part 107 is the main set of rules for flying small drones (less than 55 lbs.) in the United States.
You can fly under part 107 rules for any reason, including for work or business, for fun in your backyard, to teach, or for public safety missions.
To fly under part 107 rules, there are 3 main steps:

Step 1: Learn the Rules

Make sure you understand what is and is not allowed under Part 107 rules. Review a summary of the Part 107 rules (PDF) .
Still unsure if Part 107 rules work for you and your intended operation? Check our user identification tool.

Step 2: Become an FAA-Certified Drone Pilot by Passing the Knowledge Test

1. To be eligible to get your Remote Pilot Certificate, you must be:
    • At least 16 years old
    • Able to read, write, speak, and understand English
    • Be in a physical and mental condition to safely fly a UAS
  2. Review the full process to get your Remote Pilot Certificate.
  3. Study for the Knowledge Test by reviewing the Test Prep materials provided by the FAA.
  4. Schedule an appointment to take the Knowledge Test at an FAA-approved Knowledge Testing Center (PDF). You must bring a government issued ID with you to the test.
  5. Once you've passed your test, complete FAA Form 8710-13 for a remote pilot certificate (FAA Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application) using the electronic FAA Integrated Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application system (IACRA)*
Step 3: Register your drone with the FAA

• Registration costs $5 and is valid for 3 years. You'll need a credit or debit card and the make and model of your drone handy in order to register.
  • Visit dronezone.faa.gov and select "Fly sUAS under Part 107" to create an account and register your drone.
  • Once you've registered, mark your drone with your registration number in case it gets lost or stolen.
Option 2: Fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft

Review the rules for flying your drone below to ensure that your operations meet the requirements.
Step 1: Register Your Drone

Even if you're only flying in your backyard, drones that weigh more than 0.55 lbs. must be registered.
  1. Register your drone with the FAA – go to dronezone.faa.gov and select "Fly Model Aircraft under Section 336" to get started.
    • You must be at least 13 years old to register your drone. If you are less than 13 years old, a responsible adult must register in your place.
    • Registration costs $5 and is valid for 3 years.
  2. Once you've registered, mark your drone with your registration number in case it gets lost or stolen.
Step 2: Review the Rules

It is important to review the rules for flying your drone (PDF), prior to your first flight.
  • Fly within visual line-of-sight, meaning you as the drone operator use your own eyes and needed contacts or glasses (without binoculars), to ensure you can see your drone at all times.
  • Never fly near other aircraft.
  • Never fly at night or in the dark.
  • Never fly near or over emergency response efforts.
  • If flying within 5 miles of an airport, notify the airport and air traffic control towerprior to flying.
  • Follow community-based aeromodeling club safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide aeromodeling community-based organization.
If you want to fly more advanced drone operations, review the part 107 operational waiver information.

Step 3: Where You Can Fly

Knowing where you can and can't fly your drone will help to maintain safe airspace for not only you, but others flying as well. You are responsible for flying within FAA guidelines and regulations. That means it is up to you as a drone pilot to know the Rules of the Sky, and where it is and is not safe to fly. Learn more here:
Be sure to download the B4UFLY app on your mobile device. This will assist you in being a responsible drone pilot.

Step 4: Have Fun Flying

Last edited:
Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Hello.. is a school teacher flying drones with a club or class consider recreational? My thought would be the teacher is on school time and getting paid.
More information is needed. Most school clubs meet after school. If the teacher is flying as a member of the club, maybe instructing a little, it's recreational. If the teachers main goal is teaching flying drones, it's not recreational.

As a science and tech teacher, I also wondered the same thing. As the other posters correctly pointed out above, per FAA, If its part of a school function or class while you are getting paid to do it, it is commercial. If you are flying after your contract hours as a demo, it could be recreational.

One way around it is to invite a volunteer 107 holder to come and do a demonstration and discuss and demonstrate using a drone for aerial photography, search and rescue, and mapping as part of a career day, or technology demo. There are lots of people who would be willing to do it for free out there. Look up aerial photography and mapping, the local search and rescue org, or RC flying club in your area. In fact, ask for someone here, you may find one in your area.

Last edited:
There are two options available for STEM: Opt 1 is 107 and Opt 2 is Recreational under the AMA rules.
And, if still unsure, write a letter of inquiry to the FAA.

My sister is a headmistress (UK) and teaches her primary school children how to fly drones safely as part of IT studies. CAA rules do not require her to have a PfCO.

Reactions: AMann
I am a teacher and have used my drone for lesson videos, overhead photos of the school, and demonstrations things related to drones. My interpretation of the rules is you need a certificate because you do get income from the school/district you teach in. My principal requested I get certified based on a discussion he had with district staff about a similar situation. It won’t hurt to have the certificate and you could make some outside money with it because teachers never make enough money

Depends on where you are (what country)
In Australia, I have spoken directly to CASA about this, as while I’m fully certified, other schools come to us for advice. At this stage CASA is not considering clubs or classes within a school as commercial. They did say that schools will run into problems if they use the drone footage to publicise money making events at the school. School fete or such activities. Promo shots of the school are ok at this stage and kind on in a grey area, but CASA are saying that they would not pursue these.

My sister is a headmistress (UK) and teaches her primary school children how to fly drones safely as part of IT studies. CAA rules do not require her to have a PfCO.
So this would not be classed as instruction then (which does require PfCO).
Who has she gained clearance from within the CAA to allow this?

So this would not be classed as instruction then (which does require PfCO).
Who has she gained clearance from within the CAA to allow this?
Sorry, I should have clarified, she and another PfCo qualified teacher fly the drones the children do not fly. The kids are taught The Drone Code and other safety related stuff. Any footage they shoot is for their own use. From the CAA website:
  • Generation of self-marketing material to display an object, event or other activity. An individual or business would not usually be considered to be conducting commercial operations if the flight is provided only for their own use. Example: A charity, educational establishment, local authority or business acquires a drone which is used (and flown by its own staff) to provide aerial imagery for incorporation into its own promotional material.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka