DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scientists pinpoint cause of harmful dendrites and whiskers in lithium batteries

Interesting.

Until they figure out what material can be incorporated into the battery to eliminate dendrite and whisker growth it might be helpful to know what environmental conditions (temperature, humidity, etc.) tend to accelerated their growth so they can be considered when deciding how to store the batteries. Would storage at something colder than room temperature inhibit the growth of dendrites and whiskers?

Reactions: drakkor
I'm not in front of my laptop ATM but there was some research in the last year or so into "Self Healing" technology that was able to reduce/eliminate dendrites and whiskers. IIRC it was some type of "super heating" within the cell.

If I can locate the article I'll link it here later.

Here's one of the article but not the one I had in mind:

Ironically it's HEAT that causes this "Healing" in the battery and so much so there were some theories (some pushed off as fact) that charging our batteries with higher rates was actually HELPING the batteries... I don't think that's a good idea because you're literally PLAYING WITH FIRE at those rates....

One of the issues that occurred when Pb (lead) was removed from the termination plating of surface mount electronic components (replaced with 100% Sn) was the growth of Sn (tin) whiskers. There were a number of multi-million dollar high profile failures (including the failure of a satellite) that occurred and traced back to Sn whisker growth shorting out a system and causing a catastrophic failure. There are segments of aerospace and military industries that still have special exemptions (original change to remove Pb took place 15 years ago) so that they can continue to use components with Pb in the termination plating to avoid failures caused by tin whisker.

Reactions: SpitFire
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54