DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scotland trip booked DJI Mini 2 or MA2?

AVLJMA

Premium Pilot
Reactions
The wife and I just booked 15 days in Scotland. Of course Scotland is one of the most photogenic locations in the world. My semi-pro photographer wife is bringing her Leica Q2.
So, do I bring the DJI Mini 2 or the Mavic Air 2? I think I will have less legal hassle with the Mini 2's sub 249 grams. The battery charging is much more manageable and of course the entire traveling kit is lighter. I would give up the better camera of the MA2 and the better flying experience in what I assume will be windy coastlines.

Any thoughts? Any of our UK friends able to advice?
Thank you!

The wife and I just booked 15 days in Scotland. Of course Scotland is one of the most photogenic locations in the world. My semi-pro photographer wife is bringing her Leica Q2.
So, do I bring the DJI Mini 2 or the Mavic Air 2? I think I will have less legal hassle with the Mini 2's sub 249 grams. The battery charging is much more manageable and of course the entire traveling kit is lighter. I would give up the better camera of the MA2 and the better flying experience in what I assume will be windy coastlines.

Any thoughts? Any of our UK friends able to advice?
Thank you!

Nothing stopping you taking both but definitely the MA2 - it will be windy and you wouldn’t want to lose the MM in a peat bog/loch/rocky mountainside.

Hello. I’ll just give my 2 cents worth of my opinion. I’m currently vacationing on Maui. Drove to Paia (north side of island) a couple times where the wind surfing is extremely popular to capture some video. I fly the Mav 2 Pro and the sustained wind speeds were 20 to 25 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. The Mav 2 pro did very well but I definitely had to give myself a larger safety margin on my battery power instead of relying on the “automatic return to home due to low battery” due to having to fly against the wind during my return. I’d imagine the coast of Scotland (any coastline actually) will have significant winds at times. So as mentioned above by SkyeHigh, I would take the MA2 to handle the wind better. I saw a guy flying the Mav mini 2 at the same place I was flying and as he came back to land, I saw that the Mav Mini was being blown around pretty bad in my opinion.

Here’s a rushed video clip I made just to send to my friends and family for fun. Granted I only uploaded a 1080p clip but the full 4K video is great. You can see how well the Mav 2 pro did with the wind and the MA2 is probably just as solid.

Good luck,

Hello. I’ll just give my 2 cents worth of my opinion. I’m currently vacationing on Maui. Drove to Paia (north side of island) a couple times where the wind surfing is extremely popular to capture some video. I fly the Mav 2 Pro and the sustained wind speeds were 20 to 25 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. The Mav 2 pro did very well but I definitely had to give myself a larger safety margin on my battery power instead of relying on the “automatic return to home due to low battery” due to having to fly against the wind during my return. I’d imagine the coast of Scotland (any coastline actually) will have significant winds at times. So as mentioned above by SkyeHigh, I would take the MA2 to handle the wind better. I saw a guy flying the Mav mini 2 at the same place I was flying and as he came back to land, I saw that the Mav Mini was being blown around pretty bad in my opinion.

Here’s a rushed video clip I made just to send to my friends and family for fun. Granted I only uploaded a 1080p clip but the full 4K video is great. You can see how well the Mav 2 pro did with the wind and the MA2 is probably just as solid.

Good luck,

Thank you. The wind is really going to be a concern where we are going so I think I will pack the MA2 and ground the Mini 2. Nice shots of wind surfing. That had to be a fun day of flying.

Reactions: svfdfireman
Hello,

I visited Scotland and I flew my Mavic Pro. I wish I would be able to visit again this year.
Indeed the weather conditions there are unlike any you've seen before.
Especially around the munros it can be quite windy with unexpected gusts.
As said before the ground camera already is awesome, you should compliment that with solid air photography.
Before departure you should check out on YouTube the channel of Photography Online. A good series on gorgeous sites to visit, especially in the Isle of Skye. Look for their top 10 of views on Skye. Also Pro tips and tricks for photographers.

Safe travels.

Ruud

Reactions: Rick448
Hello,

I visited Scotland and I flew my Mavic Pro. I wish I would be able to visit again this year.
Indeed the weather conditions there are unlike any you've seen before.
Especially around the munros it can be quite windy with unexpected gusts.
As said before the ground camera already is awesome, you should compliment that with solid air photography.
Before departure you should check out on YouTube the channel of Photography Online. A good series on gorgeous sites to visit, especially in the Isle of Skye. Look for their top 10 of views on Skye. Also Pro tips and tricks for photographers.

Safe travels.

Ruud
We are really excited about Isle if Skye. Thanks for the tip on the YouTube Photography Online. I really appreciate the input. Hope to be posting some great Scotland pics and videos.

How many batteries did you pack? I've got 6 but I thought I could get by with 2 or 3. Also, any "legal" problems flying an MA2 (over 250 grams)there?... or is it just be smart and careful?

This is my first international flight with a drone. Is there anything I should be concerned about? We are flying from CLT to Heathrow then on to EDI. And the reverse going back. Thanks.

We are really excited about Isle if Skye. Thanks for the tip on the YouTube Photography Online. I really appreciate the input. Hope to be posting some great Scotland pics and videos.

How many batteries did you pack? I've got 6 but I thought I could get by with 2 or 3. Also, any "legal" problems flying an MA2 (over 250 grams)there?... or is it just be smart and careful?

This is my first international flight with a drone. Is there anything I should be concerned about? We are flying from CLT to Heathrow then on to EDI. And the reverse going back. Thanks.
Be aware, as from January first, new regulations apply for flying in Europe.
Look up local drone laws before running into LE.
I am not enough informed about recognition of USA license, maybe a Scottish member here can help.
On the other hand there is so much uninhabited space that you have flown and packed up before anyone comes near.
I found the Scots to be very kind and welcoming, they don't fuss about a drone for they are so proud of their country.

Ruud

From a legal perspective you need to register your drone and take a simple online test.

There are so many spectacular places around the Isle of Skye you won’t want to leave.

Recommend Elgol in the Southwest, Old Man of Storr just north of Portree, The Quirang and Lealt Falls in the Northwest and The Fairy Pools in the Southwest at the foot of the Cuillins mountain range.

Only one issue in May - MIDGES, billions of them and they bite. More of an irritation and don’t leave itches like mosquitoes.

Regardless of which one you decide on to take, I would love to see the images/videos :)

Take both.. I have the original Mavic Air
And really cope with windy conditions
up to 40 45 MPH Gust no problem .. so your MA2 should cope fine .. just check the air space in Scotland for RAF military air movement ( depend where you are ) and most def check if going to English Lake District… ( RAF At Leeming )

I agree with the comments about wind as I'd take the Air 2 for that reason as well since I find at times even the Mavic 2 Pro struggles once I'm up a hill to get a good scenic shot.
Yet, does he need to get "permission" to fly the Air2 versus possibly not with the Mini? Being from Scotland, maybe you can direct him to the right office if he needs to "register" the drone. I've checked flying in several Euro countries while doing a river cruise and man - they are all over the map on requirements for anything bigger than the Mini / Mini2. That is why I'd carry my Mini and leave the Air2 at home. The weight / size thing is not that big of a deal to me for carrying the Air2.

@AVLJMA - one advantage in the UK of taking the Mini 2 is that you are allowed to fly it over uninvolved people (not the case with the MA2).

For the Mini 2 you'll need an Operator ID which must be labelled on your drone. For the MA2 you'll need an Operator ID and also a Flyer ID. See:

It's worth noting the following warning from the CAA website: "It is against the law to fly a drone or model aircraft without having the required IDs. You can also be fined for breaking the law when flying. In the most serious cases, you could be sent to prison."

Reactions: Lastrexking
As above - you’ll need to register with the CAA.

Also, be aware of the following;

There are some key land owners with strict drone rules in place that you should be aware of:
  • The National Trust for Scotland (NTS) do not permit any flights on their properties without prior approval and application for permission. In most cases with NTS, especially with their more popular locations you will not get approval without considerable effort and you will likely be required both personal drone and public liability insurance. Sadly this includes some of Scotland’s most stunning locations including parts of Glen Coe, St Abbs Head (approval possible), St Kilda and a lot of our historic sites and castles with paid for entry. Our policy on drone use
  • Operating a drone at a Historic Enveronment Scotland site requires prior consent.
  • Some other small estates have no fly rules, for instance the Rothiemurchus Estate in Cairngorms requires a pre-flight application and if for commercial purposes there is a fee payable.
You‘ll also need to check that the RAF aren’t running operations as they can issue ‘no fly’ restrictions over most of the highlands seemingly on a whim.

Reactions: Alan_M
Hmmm, seems you’re right. I was under the impression that anyone flying a drone with an Operator ID attached needed a Flyer ID. Either way (IMHO), if you’re going to register for an Operator ID, you may as well take the Flyer ID test too as it’s free and laughably easy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost