DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scottymakesstuff.Com cases words of caution

TNRonin

Premium Pilot
Reactions
In my excitement of purchasing my DJI mini 2, I ordered the suite; drone holster, battery charger case, and remote case, and sticks (which I haven't tried yet). Sadly none of them truly fit. The drone case top strap/latch can not come down and latch, not even close. The drone does not go all the way in. It hard stops with the blades in all positions. The battery case won't latch either (tho I think I can make that "work". The RC controller will latch, but I later found a tablet holder the precludes that. They have a "no questions asked" return policy, but shipping from TN will run in the neighborhood of $70.

Searching online turned up a Reddit thread I wish I had seen discussing these issues. I also (in my excitement) missed that they are in Australia. Sigh. At my age I should have caught all of the above.

BE WARNED, YOU MAY HAVE ISSUES THAT WILL PROVE DIFFICULT TO REMEDY.

Attachments

• 20211227_151052.jpg
    20211227_151052.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 159
  • 20211227_151012.jpg
    20211227_151012.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 153
I'd stick with the DJi flymore bag, I got an unused 2nd hand one on ebay UK for £19 or less including carriage and that carries the drone, the controller, the hub and batteries and other stuff.
With regards to the sticks be careful fitting them until you know they will or will not fit. I bought some pattern ones for either the Mavic Mini or the Mavic 2 (can't rmember which) from China (NOT Scotty......) and the thread was wrong, I haven't tred them on the other controller.

To their credit I received a promo reply.

"Sorry to hear you're unhappy with your order.
The drone case is easy to help you with. It's been designed to be used without the gimbal protector as the props and the case do the protecting."

I never saw anything about the gimble protector on the website. Rechecked it and nope nothing. Without the protector it does fit. I'm still not sure I like that. It does a good job of keeping the blades etc in order. I sent them a pic and vid showing the battery case issue. It's blurry but does show the issue. Dunno if it will matter.

To their credit I received a promo reply.

"Sorry to hear you're unhappy with your order.
The drone case is easy to help you with. It's been designed to be used without the gimbal protector as the props and the case do the protecting."

I never saw anything about the gimble protector on the website. Rechecked it and nope nothing. Without the protector it does fit. I'm still not sure I like that. It does a good job of keeping the blades etc in order. I sent them a pic and vid showing the battery case issue. It's blurry but does show the issue. Dunno if it will matter.

If the gimbal is limited in movement for travel in the case, then I'd say ok.
I use the DJI made Spark charging station with my Spark drone, and it's the same, can only put the drone in without the gimbal clamp fitted.
It does accept the drone with an MC-UV filter fitted, so I'm ok with that as a bit of extra protection against scratching.

Didn't know Scottymakesstuff is in Australia myself, the .com address and US$ pricing makes it look US based for sure.

The finish on that looks a bit rough, but if it works it works.
The website photos show the finish isn't factory perfect.

I did go take a look at their stuff, and found your case.
It does mention the gimbal protector is left off . . .

"The case is designed to take the place of the gimbal protector so you use it without the protector on. Just make sure when you lower the Mini into the case that you have the props and gimbal pointing down."

If the gimbal is limited in movement for travel in the case, then I'd say ok.
I use the DJI made Spark charging station with my Spark drone, and it's the same, can only put the drone in without the gimbal clamp fitted.
It does accept the drone with an MC-UV filter fitted, so I'm ok with that as a bit of extra protection against scratching.

Didn't know Scottymakesstuff is in Australia myself, the .com address and US$ pricing makes it look US based for sure.

The finish on that looks a bit rough, but if it works it works.
The website photos show the finish isn't factory perfect.

I did go take a look at their stuff, and found your case.
It does mention the gimbal protector is left off . . .

"The case is designed to take the place of the gimbal protector so you use it without the protector on. Just make sure when you lower the Mini into the case that you have the props and gimbal pointing down."
How did I miss that?? I see it at the bottom below the vids

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Trading emails with them. She asked what I wanted. I told her I didn't want anything free, and suggested a 50% refund and I'd work on it with a blow-dryer and file. She said they've not had issues.

As a former quality control engineer, it's statistically impossible to never have issues. But they do deserve credit for CS.

They gave me the 50% discount ($7.50)😀.

In general I'm ok but not happy with the purchase. $110 combined for the items seems high, but the cinesticks do feel like they'll do the job.

Just be aware, they are in Australia and if you have an issue with the 3d printed items it will be a PITA to deal with.

Last edited:
I bought the Cinesticks for my Air2. No issues apart from remembering to take the sticks off when packing away. There is a tendency to cause the RC to show a fault when first starting up.
I’m in Australia so all good here.
We tend to get overlooked a lot. It’s good to have some local industry.
Thumbs up 👍 to Scotty.

I have been using the Scotty drone holster for my Mini 2 for several months without the gimbal guard with absolutely no problems. IMO this product is brilliant and wonderfully designed. I take my Mini 2 hiking and when done flying I simply drop it in to the holster.

The holster is designed to be used without the gimbal guard and it hold the propellers securely in place

It has bounced around in my pack for hundreds of miles the past 6 months without any problems.

The Scotty people are wonderful and helpful with any questions I have had with their products

I bought the Cinesticks for my Air2. No issues apart from remembering to take the sticks off when packing away. There is a tendency to cause the RC to show a fault when first starting up.
I’m in Australia so all good here.
We tend to get overlooked a lot. It’s good to have some local industry.
Thumbs up 👍 to Scotty.
Got to use the cinesticks today. I like, and I'm getting used to the new stick layout (3). That fuzz on the inside of the case is coming off and onto the drone and anything else near by. I do like the setup. The controller case was a waste tho since I'm using a tablet holder that I don't remove. I guess I when I travel it will come in handy.

In my excitement of purchasing my DJI mini 2, I ordered the suite; drone holster, battery charger case, and remote case, and sticks (which I haven't tried yet). Sadly none of them truly fit. The drone case top strap/latch can not come down and latch, not even close. The drone does not go all the way in. It hard stops with the blades in all positions. The battery case won't latch either (tho I think I can make that "work". The RC controller will latch, but I later found a tablet holder the precludes that. They have a "no questions asked" return policy, but shipping from TN will run in the neighborhood of $70.

Searching online turned up a Reddit thread I wish I had seen discussing these issues. I also (in my excitement) missed that they are in Australia. Sigh. At my age I should have caught all of the above.

BE WARNED, YOU MAY HAVE ISSUES THAT WILL PROVE DIFFICULT TO REMEDY.
I got a set of their sticks (the long ones) but it turned out the rubber boot covered the RTH button on my controller. Also the sticks wouldn't angle down far enough to start the drone. Might be a nice idea but they need a better design. Took a long time to get from Australia

I got a set of their sticks (the long ones) but it turned out the rubber boot covered the RTH button on my controller. Also the sticks wouldn't angle down far enough to start the drone. Might be a nice idea but they need a better design. Took a long time to get from Australia
Ya I see how the buffer the movement. For me it helps. I've inserted the red spacers. They keep me for going too far/fast one directing or the other.
Now if the weather would just agree!!

Thanks to this post for alerting me to the Cine Sticks, I've bodged together a solution for my other RC transmitter but hadn't thought about doing that for the Mavic.
When I saw that Scotty was in Australia I was interested - I then worked out they were located in my home town some 360Km (200 miles) north of me. When I last went north to visit my parents, I was able to order a set of both normal and long Cine Sticks from them and then drop in and pick them up in person.
In played around with fitting them and they don't seem to affect the 5-way button as much as I thought they would, "spring tension" provided by the boot can be varied to a degree by the way they're fitted. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet due to workload and the rain we've had here, so I can't report on their use yet but from the feel of them I'm hopeful they'll provide some finer control.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madkiwi