DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Screen camera view cut out???

Badgersurfer

Reactions
Weird thing happened today. I am an experienced RC flyer but new to Mavic in fact this was only my 3 flight. I was flying about 400ft away and practising height between 100ft and 389 ft(max set) when I turned on the video record, this was fine then I pressed the shutter button 2 or 3 times as I couldn't remember if you could take a picture whilst it was recording video. I tried but didn't get a shutter sound sound or rotating bar around the stop button so assumed you have to stop the video and then take the still image. I did this a few times then all of a sudden the screen went black as if a lens cap had been put over the camera. I could not return by camera view but all of the other icons were looking ok. I used the radar to find my way back. A little disconcerting at the time but I am not one to panic having 50 years of RC flying under my belt (haha dived a few into the ground over the years). I have a Mavic Pro Platinum with an ipad mini 4 128GB Wifi & Cellular (flight mode enabled). I have no other software on Ipad as it is dedicated to DJIGO4 and no sim card installed.
I have not had any glitches before. I had to shut down the Mavic and the controller (not the DJIGO4 software) then restart the controller and drone and it was ok again.
Has anyone had similar, is this a known issue or any ideas please....

Not had that happen but you can’t take pictures if your videoing.

Weird thing happened today. I am an experienced RC flyer but new to Mavic in fact this was only my 3 flight. I was flying about 400ft away and practising height between 100ft and 389 ft(max set) when I turned on the video record, this was fine then I pressed the shutter button 2 or 3 times as I couldn't remember if you could take a picture whilst it was recording video. I tried but didn't get a shutter sound sound or rotating bar around the stop button so assumed you have to stop the video and then take the still image. I did this a few times then all of a sudden the screen went black as if a lens cap had been put over the camera. I could not return by camera view but all of the other icons were looking ok. I used the radar to find my way back. A little disconcerting at the time but I am not one to panic having 50 years of RC flying under my belt (haha dived a few into the ground over the years). I have a Mavic Pro Platinum with an ipad mini 4 128GB Wifi & Cellular (flight mode enabled). I have no other software on Ipad as it is dedicated to DJIGO4 and no sim card installed.
I have not had any glitches before. I had to shut down the Mavic and the controller (not the DJIGO4 software) then restart the controller and drone and it was ok again.
Has anyone had similar, is this a known issue or any ideas please....
@Badgersurfer as Dc said you cant take a picture when recording video,the best method to follow is to stop video and then press the camera button on the RC and check that the info bar says that you are indeed in picture mode then you can use the camera button to take pics then when you have finished do the same thing in reverse to go back to video ,
what happens is pics and video are written to the SD card in different forms ,and if you just change over to quickly, then the system gets corrupted and thats why the camera stops performing until you stop and start the drone which resets it

@Badgersurfer as Dc said you cant take a picture when recording video,the best method to follow is to stop video and then press the camera button on the RC and check that the info bar says that you are indeed in picture mode then you can use the camera button to take pics then when you have finished do the same thing in reverse to go back to video ,
what happens is pics and video are written to the SD card in different forms ,and if you just change over to quickly, then the system gets corrupted and thats why the camera stops performing until you stop and start the drone which resets it
Thanks for that, you confirmed my suspicions. After I had reset the software and flew again. Then I did as you say. BUT I didn't think to check the info bar. Great tip, I will do that in future.

Reactions: old man mavic
Thanks for that, you confirmed my suspicions. After I had reset the software and flew again. Then I did as you say. BUT I didn't think to check the info bar. Great tip, I will do that in future.
yes the info bar is very helpful it shows you the EV value the recording settings the amount of space left on the card and it tells you what the camera is doing dont forget in camera settings you can make adjustments as you fly if needed

Reactions: Badgersurfer
yes the info bar is very helpful it shows you the EV value the recording settings the amount of space left on the card and it tells you what the camera is doing dont forget in camera settings you can make adjustments as you fly if needed
Moving from the Mavic Air to the Mavic 2 Pro, it took a while to get used to the new picture/video format. The video is now an orange circle instead of a red circle. The orange circle gets smaller and flashes on and off while it is doing video. That was different from the Mavic Ai. Also, it is sometimes really hard to turn off the video and turn on the photos. I suspect that is what happened in this pilot's case.

Reactions: Badgersurfer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost