DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Screen Freeze return to Home stops working

daasmangi

Reactions
Two times now I flew my Mavic and the screen froze and my return to home did not work. Lucky I knew what way my Mavic was facing so I flew blindly until I could hear my drone and then was able to physically see it so was able to land it manually. Why is this happening? And nearly every flight my screen freezes. Can someone please help me!

Thanks
Daasmangi

What mavic? Air or Pro?

Reactions: daasmangi
Two times now I flew my Mavic and the screen froze and my return to home did not work.
How did you attempt to initiate return to home? What happened when you attempted to initiate it?

It just gave out a funny sound and nothing else happened that was the remote but the phone did nothing at all you can’t touch or change anything it just shows the frozen last photo you took.. remote works but not the return to home button

You have to push and hold the RTH button till you get beeping from the RC. Make sure the cable to your device is good and plugged in solid. Also make sure no apps or social media is running on the device while in flight. It is best to switch the device to airplane mode when flying as well. Sounds like the device is overloaded.

It just gave out a funny sound and nothing else happened that was the remote but the phone did nothing at all you can’t touch or change anything it just shows the frozen last photo you took.. remote works but not the return to home button
Your first post said you flew blindly till you could hear it. That means the R/C was still working. Is it possible you didn't hold the RTH button down to initiate RTH? If you don't do that it won't work--to prevent accidentally initiating RTH. It would be odd for flight controls to work via R/C but not RTH.

Also, the R/C's screen shows distance, altitude, etc. You can use that to see if you are getting closer.

Mike

Thanks guys I’d press the return to Home button a few time with no responds at all. But every thing else on the remote works.. you can see the battery usage, the height, the speed, and it beep when the battery is low

You have to push and hold the RTH button till you get beeping from the RC. Make sure the cable to your device is good and plugged in solid. Also make sure no apps or social media is running on the device while in flight. It is best to switch the device to airplane mode when flying as well. Sounds like the device is overloaded.

Thanks ac0j I did all that! But it just gave out a weird sound and would not engage the RTH.

It gave out a funny sound when you did what?

I looked at the last photo it took and worked out which way the drone was facing and flew it towards me till I could hear the mavic and then land it

How did you attempt to initiate return to home? What happened when you attempted to initiate it?

Also when you look at the flight records it all cuts off when the screen freezes! What is the problem there? Is it because of a firmware update?

I had the exact same problem with the .300 firmware. Rolled back to .100 and no more problems. As to the rth not working, I cannot say. I have never used it, nore do I want to. I would rather be in control and flying by numbers than let it fly itself home.

when u say sreen freeze do u mean your phone or the rc controller, as mentioned it sounds like your phone is causing the issue, try a flight either with out it or with a different one, and try as already mentioned and go in airplane mode with everyting on your phone turned off,

I had the exact same problem with the .300 firmware. Rolled back to .100 and no more problems. As to the rth not working, I cannot say. I have never used it, nore do I want to. I would rather be in control and flying by numbers than let it fly itself home.

Thanks Tiny,
How do I roll back the firmware?

when u say sreen freeze do u mean your phone or the rc controller, as mentioned it sounds like your phone is causing the issue, try a flight either with out it or with a different one, and try as already mentioned and go in airplane mode with everyting on your phone turned off,

Genesimmons it’s the phone screen freezing the rc controller works well except for the RTH function. When you say airplane mode what do you mean?

go to dji website and down load dji assitant 2, when u plug in your mav it will say what firware u have and give u an option to reinstall it or down grade to a lesser number, try like the above and go too 100, see if that helps u, when i say airplane mode thats the mode on your phone that turns off all coonections, cell wifi bluetooth etc, it will be in your settings on the phone, put it in airplane and close all other apps before connecting yoour mavic, try the rth before your phone freezes so u know its working, push the button on the rc for a few seconds till u hear the beep then u should see on the phone its in rth, try those things mentioned and see if they help

go to dji website and down load dji assitant 2, when u plug in your mav it will say what firware u have and give u an option to reinstall it or down grade to a lesser number, try like the above and go too 100, see if that helps u, when i say airplane mode thats the mode on your phone that turns off all coonections, cell wifi bluetooth etc, it will be in your settings on the phone, put it in airplane and close all other apps before connecting yoour mavic, try the rth before your phone freezes so u know its working, push the button on the rc for a few seconds till u hear the beep then u should see on the phone its in rth, try those things mentioned and see if they help

Genesimmons thanks for the tip. Had to YouTube to find out how it’s done but I’m down grading to the 100 as you suggested, so we shall see tomorrow when the sun comes up I’m going to do a test flight and I’ll give you a report.. cheersView attachment 34216View attachment 34217

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98