DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scuffed my MA2. Feeling dumb

Zee_Bass

Reactions
Playing around this evening with the kids I wasn't paying attention and I drifted into a telephone pole. Drone dropped about 3 feet to the ground. Scuffed up the front legs and put a mean abrasion on the gimbal. Had to restart it to re center the gimbal.

Other than that just my pride is hurt... ( Mod Removed language) it!

I have refresh and a state farm policy for any major crashes but I absolutely hate putting a scratch on anything that's like new that I own. Drives me crazy, especially when it's my fault!

Playing around this evening with the kids I wasn't paying attention and I drifted into a telephone pole. Drone dropped about 3 feet to the ground. Scuffed up the front legs and put a mean abrasion on the gimbal. Had to restart it to re center the gimbal.

I have refresh and a state farm policy for any major crashes but I absolutely hate putting a scratch on anything that's like new that I own. Drives me crazy, especially when it's my fault!
You might find that the gimbal can no longer maintain a level horizon when flying sideways. No known fix if that happens, other than gimbal replacement. Gimbal is ruined. Fly straight left to see if horizon tilts, and then immediately fly straight right to check the other side. If no tilt of horizon on either side, you are golden. Fingers crossed!

You might find that the gimbal can no longer maintain a level horizon when flying sideways. No known fix if that happens, other than gimbal replacement. Gimbal is ruined. Fly straight left to see if horizon tilts, and then immediately fly straight right to check the other side. If no tilt of horizon on either side, you are golden. Fingers crossed!
I'll check that out tomorrow, thanks. I tried it out and it seemed good but I didn't look it over great since it was getting dark. I just watched the wreck on one of my cameras and its pathetic. Lol literally crashed at like .5mph

Reactions: TwoLiterSoda

I’m 100% the same way. Drives me crazy too. If it makes you feel better I’ve crashed mine twice both times being stupid. I will say so far it’s very sturdy. LOL I got some scuffs…

Sorry that happened just know you’re not alone. You have the refresh so you could cash in a chip now. I thought about it but I’m choosing to wait a bit, probably until after camping season because I don’t know what stupid thing I’ll do next. Hopefully nothing!

Aye, something similar happened to me when I active tracked my kids. Damaged pride, potentially damaged gimbal but hope its fine for you. I'm now looking out for a motor / arms availability in my local e-commerce market.

Have a look at my thread about propeller guards, do you think it will help? I have one set on order, may arrive in a week or so, but hopefully it will always be a redundant safety for me in the future.

Some of the best advice I have read on these forums was "I always act like I am in the drone when I fly" Hopefully the gimbal is alright and let the marks remind you to be more careful when you fly

Sorry to hear and yes it would do my head in as well. Although this wont help the gimbal, have you considered a skin or 2. Decalgirl your side has some very nice ones, just a thought.

Reactions: Zee_Bass
Same thing happened to me on my MA 3 day in on it. Fortunately, the gimbal was perfect but had some scratches on the body. Just like the poster above stated, I ended up putting a skin on it to hide all the imperfections.

Reactions: Zee_Bass
Now you have taken it's innocence get out there and fly it till it can fly no longer
Remember it is a tool and tools get marks and damage when actually used for their intended purpose

Break it real completely and then get another 1

Now you have taken it's innocence get out there and fly it till it can fly no longer
Remember it is a tool and tools get marks and damage when actually used for their intended purpose

They are definitely items of consumption!
Whatever goes up must come down, but not necessarily in the same place, and not necessarily in the same condition! When they do return to the same place and in the same condition, you win! Keep winning, but no matter how good you are, sometimes you lose. May your winnings always vastly exceed your losses, and may you have much fun along the way, while playing the game!

Last edited:
Don't fly what you can't afford to lose, and replace your microSD card every time you swap batteries, to minimize your losses!
I was going to have a rebuttal for you, but going over it in my own head, it's null and void.

I was gonna say, well then by that logic, don't buy a house or car either... But yeah, there's insurance, and those things can't fly away lol.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I was going to have a rebuttal for you, but going over it in my own head, it's null and void.

I was gonna say, well then by that logic, don't buy a house or car either... But yeah, there's insurance, and those things can't fly away lol.
It really helps if you can afford to own at least two, so if anything happens to the first one, you always have an immediate backup. Replacing or repairing the first one may take some time, and you never want to be without, missing out on drone opportunities. Always having at least one backup bird available minimizes the stress from any potential Black Hawk Down scenarios! I've always eventually acquired three of each, from the P3P to the P4 to the P4P and the Mavic 2. However, I suspect one MA2 will be enough, since I still have all the others! You can have TOO many drones, too! LOL!

Reactions: itsneedtokno
consider how lucky you were that it wasn't one of your kids that took the hit. One of the first times I ever saw drone up close was a guy flying a Phantom at the beach. He was chasing around with his family and I thought that the drone must have some sort of magic avoidance device. Now I realize that the guy was just taking a hell of a chance.

Very true, I've got a vacation to the beach coming up mid June so I'm going to have to go easy until then, but I plan on taking advantage of the Care Refresh before the year is out. I got the State Farm policy as a last resort incase of an unrecoverable accident. My hope is to not get in a situation where I have to use it bc I'd hate to get dropped!

consider how lucky you were that it wasn't one of your kids that took the hit. One of the first times I ever saw drone up close was a guy flying a Phantom at the beach. He was chasing around with his family and I thought that the drone must have some sort of magic avoidance device. Now I realize that the guy was just taking a hell of a chance.
Yeah if I would have had anyone near by I would have been paying attention and either getting the done out or the family moved... and not in sport mode for no reason lol

Reactions: hiflyer201
You can never have TOO many drones, is definitely what you meant to say right?

LOL

and yeah, I wish my budget allowed for 2, but that's what Refresh "express" is for I guess. Us bottom feeders lol.
How exactly do you get the Express side? Is that like the DJI Select thing?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54