DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SD card files won't show on PC

Reneggade

Reactions
Photos on SD card show on the smart controller screen but can't see them on my desktop. I've tried both using the USB cord connected to the computer and directly inserting the SD card in the computer reader. Both show all the folders but they show as empty. It's always worked before. Any ideas would be more than welcome.

directly inserting the SD card in the computer reader.

Check the side of the card adaptor.

There's a slider switch to protect the files, maybe that has something to do with it?

And make sure to open"all" file types.

They might pop up?

Photos on SD card show on the smart controller screen but can't see them on my desktop. I've tried both using the USB cord connected to the computer and directly inserting the SD card in the computer reader. Both show all the folders but they show as empty. It's always worked before. Any ideas would be more than welcome.
The slider prevents deleting files, but doesn't prevent seeing them.

Are there image files in the SD card?
A look at the remaining space on the card might help work that out.
Are the images not visible on the card because they are somewhere else?

The slider prevents deleting files, but doesn't prevent seeing them.

Are there image files in the SD card?
A look at the remaining space on the card might help work that out.
Are the images not visible on the card because they are somewhere else?
The card shows almost 500 mg being used over all. Following folders show:
Android 7.9 mb
DJI 409 mb
D Pad 1
mi push 1

All other folders show empty.

With SD card out of the smart controller no photos are available. With SD card in controller photos show up just fine in the SD card. Image files have to be on the SD card but why won't they show on the computer?

Slider position makes no difference. I even tried a different card adapter.
I don't see any option to "open all file types"

Another point ... if I use a USB cord between controller and the computer it reads the SD card with same results as it does with the adapter.

With SD card out of the smart controller no photos are available. With SD card in controller photos show up just fine in the SD card. Image files have to be on the SD card but why won't they show on the computer?
That sounds like the files are on the card, so try looking for them a different way.
Try using a different program or file viewer.
The image files should be in a directory called 100MEDIA, which is inside another called DCIM.

That sounds like the files are on the card, so try looking for them a different way.
Try using a different program or file viewer.
The image files should be in a directory called 100MEDIA, which is inside another called DCIM.
DCIM folder is there but the only thing in it is "albums" and it is empty. No "100MEDIA"
What other file viewer is there besides file explorer on WIN 10?

Guess what ... in total exasperation I right clicked on the SD card and then "autoplay". The photos came up but in hodgepodge fashion ... thumbnails, previews, and originals. In fact a lot of old photos that I had deleted came up as well. I've downloaded them to my desktop and can make it work (I think) but PLEASE someone tell me what's going on and what to do so photos show up where they are suppose to.
I love this drone when everything works but it seems like about every third time something unexplainable happens and I spend more time trying to solve the problem than I do flying. UGH!

DCIM folder is there but the only thing in it is "albums" and it is empty. No "100MEDIA"
What other file viewer is there besides file explorer on WIN 10?
What program are you using to edit images?
Try using that to open a file.
It will ask what file and use it to navigate around the SD card.
PLEASE someone tell me what's going on and what to do so photos show up where they are suppose to.
I love this drone when everything works but it seems like about every third time something unexplainable happens and I spend more time trying to solve the problem than I do flying. UGH!
The drone will reliably put the image files in the correct place.
But you have a lot of unnecessary junk cluttering up that card.
You shouldn't have anything other than the images from a current flight on an SD card.
When you bring the home, copy to your computer and format the card so you always fly with a clean, empty card.
There's no reason to send your images out flying again and again.

What program are you using to edit images?
Try using that to open a file.
It will ask what file and use it to navigate around the SD card.

The drone will reliably put the image files in the correct place.
But you have a lot of unnecessary junk cluttering up that card.
You shouldn't have anything other than the images from a current flight on an SD card.
When you bring the home, copy to your computer and format the card so you always fly with a clean, empty card.
There's no reason to send your images out flying again and again.
I've tried opening with photoshop elements but no better than File explorer.
I'll try reformatting the SD card every time I download from it, don't know why that affects where the files are. Don't have this kind of trouble on any other device I use and I use several, GoPro and a trail camera to name a couple. Files are where I expect them to be every time whether I delete old files or not.
Anyhow, thanks for all the input and help.

If card is pulled before turning off drone the files are not complete. Reinsert turn on drone then turn off before removing SD. Pics and vids should be there..in order.

If card is pulled before turning off drone the files are not complete. Reinsert turn on drone then turn off before removing SD. Pics and vids should be there..in order.
The issue is something else.
That only applies to video files, and would on;y apply to the last video file of a flight

Are you saving the drone pics to your SC as well as the drone? Where is the SD card you are trying to read from located?

Reactions: Meta4
Not dealing with SD card in drone ... it's in the smart controller and I've never removed it before everything is off. However, wonder if it makes any difference which sequence I shut things off ... does the plan have to be shut off before the controller?
Incidentally I've never been able to figure out how to record to the SD card in the drone ... will only record to the one in the controller no matter what I do.

I have always used the SD card in my M2P to record photos and video. If you reread the drone/SC/DJI Go4 manuals, you should find the setting for recording to the drone's SD card.

I have never recorded my primary footage to the SC as I don't know if it can handle the amount of data especially for 4K video.

Do you even have an SD card in your drone to which you can record?

Not dealing with SD card in drone ... it's in the smart controller and I've never removed it before everything is off. However, wonder if it makes any difference which sequence I shut things off ... does the plan have to be shut off before the controller?
Incidentally I've never been able to figure out how to record to the SD card in the drone ... will only record to the one in the controller no matter what I do.
A couple things. One - you need to set the removable media as the storage location in both the drone and the controller. Otherwise it saves to the built-in storage. Two - the cached versions on the RC are low definition. If you want to save the HD version to the controller, you will need to download them to it. Look at the Fly App section of the drone manual or controller manual.

Not dealing with SD card in drone ... it's in the smart controller
That wasn't clear in your first post.
If you want the best quality images, you need to get them from the drone, not the controller.
However, wonder if it makes any difference which sequence I shut things off ... does the plan have to be shut off before the controller?
That makes no difference, but if you shoot video, you need to stop the video before stopping the drone.
Incidentally I've never been able to figure out how to record to the SD card in the drone
Put a card in the drone, it will probably show a message to say SD card detected, Do you want to change the storage location to the SD card.
Or you can go here to assign the card as the storage location.
i-jVJB4ZR-M.jpg

And check the internal storage to find the originals of the files you were looking for.
There's really not much need for a card in the controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost