DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SD Card for Mavic Pro - Gimbal Resets 64 GB [FAKE microSD CARDS?!?!]

The Bob

Reactions
So for several years I have had issues with microSD cards for the mavic pro... started using Samsung... caused gimbal resets... switched to SanDisk Ultra/Ultra Plus 32GB card and the resets went away. Recently I have tried high end 64 GB cards and it still causes gimbal resets.. SanDisk Extreme / Extreme Plus (not pro), Ultra; both cause gimbal resets.

Has anyone got a 64 GB or more microSD card to work without Gimbal resets?!?!
If yes.. please share what you use and your video/camera settings if possible.

If you do not know what a gimbal reset is then YOU ARE LUCKY!
Here is a video of what happens when a mavic pro gimbal resets.

Oh and I use FW V01.04.0300, but have also had this issue with V01.03.0700, V01.04.0100 and V01.04.0200 (possibly more)

Memory-Cards.jpg
* Edits made to the original post as the card types I thought I tried were incorrect. Above image is accurate.

Last edited:
I started getting gimbal resets and it’s stops the video as well - was crazy - I don’t think it’s your memory card - try a new USB cord - a good one - and clean the ports on your mobile device of dust and crud - solved my issues !

Reactions: Bobvt and WAXMAN
I started getting gimbal resets and it’s stops the video as well - was crazy - I don’t think it’s your memory card - try a new USB cord - a good one - and clean the ports on your mobile device of dust and crud - solved my issues !

Thanks for the suggestion! I have used several different cords, I have 2 controllers and have also experienced this on iPad mini4 as well as an Android tablet.
Some people will even say to calibrate the visual sensors... been there. Time and time again I do nothing but put my 32 GB SanDisk card back in and the resets go away.
If I try any of my SanDisk 64 GB ($$) cards the resets come back right away; first flight even. It is VERY obvious and ongoing for the past 2 years and many have reported it.

FYI this is my 2nd mavic pro that has this issue... I had to return my 1st one for another issue a year ago. Issue exists with both of them.

• Wow
Reactions: WAXMAN
if the 32GB cards give you no issues, whats wrong with just using them all the time, i use SanDisk 64 GB ultra the red and gold coloured ones and have never had an issue with them

Reactions: Thomas B
So for several years I have had issues with microSD cards for the mavic pro... started using Samsung... caused gimbal resets... switched to SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB card and the resets went away. Recently I have tried high end 64 GB cards and it still causes gimbal resets.. SanDisk Extreme Pro, Ultra; both cause gimbal resets.

If yes.. please share what you use and your video/camera settings if possible.

If you do not know what a gimbal reset is then YOU ARE LUCKY!
Here is a video of what happens when a mavic pro gimbal resets.

Oh and I use FW V01.04.0300, but have also had this issue with V01.03.0700, V01.04.0100 and V01.04.0200 (possibly more)
There’s a known issue with the San-disk Extreme Plus and the Sandisk Ultra doesn’t meet specs for the Mavic Pro so the issue with that one is expected. The Sandisk Extreme Pro should have worked however. I don’t know why that one doesn’t work

Are both cards formatted fat32?
I format them in DJI Go 4 prior to every flight... I think it does Fat32.
You may be onto something here... I will try formatting the 64 GB cards on PC with exFat.

if the 32GB cards give you no issues, whats wrong with just using them all the time, i use SanDisk 64 GB ultra the red and gold coloured ones and have never had an issue with them
Do you format within DJI Go 4 or do you format on PC first?
What (specifically) 64 GB card do you use?

Do you format within DJI Go 4 or do you format on PC first?
What (specifically) 64 GB card do you use?
@The Bob i format in the app before i fly the first flight of the day, i only record in 10-80p at 30FPS i do this because i do not have a computer that can play back 4K without it stuttering and making moving objects appear to pause and go as they pass by, the same with the blades on a wind turbine i find that 10-80p at 30FPS gives me the smoothest video playback so i stick with that set up

What leads you to believe the SD cards are causing the gimbal reset?

Don’t see the video. I guess my MP is ok. As I don’t know what a gimbal reset due to 64gb sd card. That’s. All I’ve had to use.

You have to use ExFAT when storage is above 32GB.
If formatting onboard with app, storage format is chosen for you.

What leads you to believe the SD cards are causing the gimbal reset?
Because when I use a 64 GB card it happens. When I use a 32 GB card it doesn't. Also 2 different drones I have owned had the same issue.

Several posts on dji forums also.. Mavic's gimbal reboot during flight
Just search for it.

What I think it has to do with is write speed and for some reason when the camera is overwhelmed it cant't write data to the sd card fast enough and then crashes. The Gimbal logics then reset and the gimbal does the startup dance, in flight.

Also keep in mind that I am using the highest 4K settings during recording so this will stress the camera controller/cpu/imu. I can test with a 64 GB card perhaps on 1080P and see if that fixes it. Well, not a fix per se but at least that might give a better clue.

Last edited:
64GB or bigger?
How many eggs do you want to carry in one basket?
How much imagery are you prepared to lose at once?

64GB or bigger?
How many eggs do you want to carry in one basket?
How much imagery are you prepared to lose at once?
In all honesty most of the hobby work I do is disposable. 400 GB would be super cool.

Still getting resets on 64 GB cards. Some more frequently than others. It does happen more often when I stop video recording, snap a photo and then try to record a video after the photo. I have duplicated it with the 3 64 GB cards I have. The 32 GB cards all work without any issues. When I contact DJI with the issue they just want me to send it in for repairs... this is not desirable and considering this is mavic pro drone #2 that does this will be a waste of time.

Are they U3 cards?
I suppose if the card storage became fragmented, a larger card would be harder to manage but if it is freshly formatted, particularly formatted on the quad, the storage and data would be fragment free.
Solid state storage won't have as much an issue with fragmentation but it is a potential factor. Even RAM data can get fragmented and cause OS performance issues.

Are they U3 cards?
I suppose if the card storage became fragmented, a larger card would be harder to manage but if it is freshly formatted, particularly formatted on the quad, the storage and data would be fragment free.
Solid state storage won't have as much an issue with fragmentation but it is a potential factor. Even RAM data can get fragmented and cause OS performance issues.
Yeah 2 of them are U3.. and 1 is a U1. I fresh format in the drone during pre-checks.

Yeah 2 of them are U3.. and 1 is a U1. I fresh format in the drone during pre-checks.
Don’t use the U1, it is not recommended by DJI and likely is too slow. Stay with U3 cards.

Consider that you may have gotten counterfeit cards which is a problem recently. Maybe try a known working borrowed or purchased U3 card.

Reactions: The Bob
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929