DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SD CARD PROBLEM

Bourbon Droner

Reactions
After flying for over a year with my Mavic Pro I decided I may need a better SD CARD. So after much research on this forum and other locations I settled on the "best" card for me. Mind you my decision was based on research, opinions and a flip of a coin. I settled on this one; US Seller Extreme PRO SanDisk Memory 64GB 64 GB Micro SD SDXC MicroSD Class 10 619659169794 | eBay

But when I try and use it I get an error mess: SD CARD CHECK APP. Where do I "check the app"? Is there a setting I need to change, do I need to clear out a buffer somewhere or is this card not compatible with my Mavic? I was hoping to get better video so I wouldn't have to do so much work in editing the video later. The learning curve on my editing program is getting the best of me. But that is another story.

Sam

only if it is a genuine card there are a lot of fakes about im afraid it is a bit of a lottery

After flying for over a year with my Mavic Pro I decided I may need a better SD CARD. So after much research on this forum and other locations I settled on the "best" card for me. Mind you my decision was based on research, opinions and a flip of a coin. I settled on this one; US Seller Extreme PRO SanDisk Memory 64GB 64 GB Micro SD SDXC MicroSD Class 10 619659169794 | eBay

But when I try and use it I get an error mess: SD CARD CHECK APP. Where do I "check the app"? Is there a setting I need to change, do I need to clear out a buffer somewhere or is this card not compatible with my Mavic? I was hoping to get better video so I wouldn't have to do so much work in editing the video later. The learning curve on my editing program is getting the best of me. But that is another story.

Sam
Did you try to format the card in the AC using Go 4?

Reactions: Thomas B
RC says "check app" in the event Go might provide details of the error. It can come up for other problems.

If you didn't have any file problems with your previous cards, a better card likely won't help. It isn't like analog recordings and media. Any card that's U3 rated will do, and even then that's only needed for 4K recordings. Lower resolution recordings will be fine with class 10 rating.

One other thing to keep in mind:
There seems to be a correlation between ExFat formatted cards and gimbal reset issues on MP. Cards greater than 32GB default to being formatted ExFAT. 32GB and less are formatted FAT32.

Thanks DanMan for your responses but you are talking WAY over my head. I have no idea what you are talking about.
How do I "Check the App" and what are ExFat. and "gimbal resets"? My tech knowledge is very limited.
only if it is a genuine card there are a lot of fakes about im afraid it is a bit of a lottery

Reactions: Dave Maine
You look down on your tablet screen for any messages/warnings. That's all "check app" on RC means.

FAT32 and ExFAT are two storage file structure formats. Technically storage greater than 64GB can be formatted FAT32, but Windows won't let you do so natively.

If you experience gimbal resets with 64GB cards, then stick with 32GB cards. Those will always be formatted FAT32.

Reactions: Wilbur and Thomas B
Hey Bourbon,

FWIW, I was buying a bunch of 32 and 64GB cards a few months ago for use with Raspberry Pi work, and I was buying SanDisk Extremes from Amazon as well as a few locally from a Best Buy. They have always been my GoTo for these cards.

But I wound up needing to send/bring back over 50% of them, as they would not even allow formatting in ANY of my readers, which I have several. SanDisk is obviously having some QC problems, or maybe they're knockoffs.

I have been buying only Lexar since then, and have not had an issue.

Hope this helps,
-pvs

Reactions: Gindra
There are Several Apps/Programs out there that work on Mac/Pc Platform that can convert 64gb and Higher cards from ExFat to Fat32 Format.....google it....I forgot offhand which one I use...but it Works for my Foscam IP Camers just fine!

Thanks guys for all the help! I will check the card again and if it still doesn't work I will look into other cards.
Thanks again,

Sam

Ok, I formatted the chip in exFAT on my laptop and placed it in my Mavic, no go. Still says SD ERROR CHECK APP. I removed the chip from the drone and placed it in my laptop. I then copied some files from other folders on my laptop to the chip. It accepted the files and they played fine from it. So the bottom line is it won't work in my drone but will work on other devices. I hate to throw the chip away and buy another one if buying one is such a "cramp shoot". Is there any hope for this d__n chip? BTW I did delete the cache in the drone already.

There's no cache on the AC, cache is on your mobile device. The M2 and MA do have a small internal storage as an alternative to the SD card for normal recording though.

On my P3A, I had an Ultra that started giving me problems. However it was suitable to use for other applications where real time 1080p video recording speed wasn't needed, such as alternate storage on my phone.

With all the "fakes" on the market and poor QC with some brands how do you find a good chip in all the mess? How can the chip work on other devices but not the drone? There must be something going on with the drone, right?

Drone needs to write faster at a sustained rate (100Mb/s in 4K) than is typically needed in other applications.

There are applications that can read the SD manufacturer metadata (though that could be falsified) as well as test integrity and speed of the entire storage.

Now I have a bigger problem. I flew 2day and when I tried to take some pictures with my "old chip" I got the same error message to check the app. I snapped a couple of shots just to see if it would work and when I came home and put the chip in my laptop it told me the folder was empty. No pictures were on it.. So if anyone has an idea how I can get back to recording video and pictures please let me know. I keep thinking I am missing a setting some where..
Sam

There are many different opinions from members what sd card to use in a drone. Can a DJI recommendation as to what sd card should be used in a Mavic Pro? Back to the basic's may be a thought here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61