DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SD Card Recommendations

NathanH90

Reactions
Hi Guys

Hope you’re all well on this lovely sunny bank holiday Monday we’re having! I‘ve been on the look out for an SD card for my Mavic Mini and I read to ensure that the SD card has a 3 inside of a U on the actual SD card, something to do with speed etc? Anyway, I’ve found this one on Amazon and I just wanted to check that I’m on the right track and purchasing the correct/better type for my drone. Link is below :)

San Disk SD Card: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...d_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e&th=1

Thanks in advance :)

Nathan

Hi Guys

Hope you’re all well on this lovely sunny bank holiday Monday we’re having! I‘ve been on the look out for an SD card for my Mavic Mini and I read to ensure that the SD card has a 3 inside of a U on the actual SD card, something to do with speed etc? Anyway, I’ve found this one on Amazon and I just wanted to check that I’m on the right track and purchasing the correct/better type for my drone. Link is below :)

San Disk SD Card: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...d_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e&th=1

Nathan
thats fine only thing i would say get two 64 GB cards as its always better to have a spare and if you have an issue during flight and lose the drone you are also losing all the stuff you have recorded on the card

Hi Guys

Nathan
The card you identified is a good card. So in case you have a hard time sleeping you can read the information provided below:

‘Speed Class’ refers to the absolute minimum sustained write speeds. Cards can be rated as Class 2 (minimum write speed of 2MB/s), Class 4 (4MB/s), Class 6 (6MB/s) or Class 10 (10MB/s). The next rating is the UHS Speed Class. This stands for Ultra High Speed and refers to minimum sustained writing performance for recording video. UHS came about due to 4K-capable video devices needing faster write speeds. There are two UHS Speed Classes, UHS Speed Class 1 and UHS Speed Class 3. UHS Speed Class 1 supports a minimum 10MB/s write speed, whereas UHS Speed Class 3 supports at least 30MB/s write speed. The UHS Speed Class is denoted by either a 1 or 3 inside of a bucket U symbol. As a rule of thumb, 4K-capable camcorders will usually require at least a U3 rated SD card. Extremely high-resolution video (4 or 8K), demanded even faster cards and this is provided by V class which range from 6 to 90. The number represents MB/sec. Confused yet? Keep reading. So, going from fastest to slowest with these numbers it is V90, V60, V30 (which is equal to U3) V10 (which is equal to U1 and Speed Class 10). The remaining are not worth considering.

Also, for drones ignore A1 and A2 ratings and just pay attention to V ratings. The A ratings are for application extensive operations such as smartphones and mobile gaming consoles. This is the Application Performance Class Specification. These cards essentially extend the memory of these devices. The apps that run on these devices interact with memory space differently. Rather than a stream of sequential data (think video), they write a lot of small chunks of data wherever there's space available. That's known as random read/write (compared to sequential read/write that's important for video). A card that is suitable for random reading and writing may not be suitable for sequential reading and writing. The A1 and A2 cards have different random read and write ratings but have the same minimum sequential write speed of 10 megabytes per second. This speed is equivalent to the Class 10 video speed rating. The Class 10 rating is about the same is the V10 rating. The V10 rating is too slow for your drone.

So, the bottom line for your drone camera (at least DJI drones) you need a minimum V30 card (or U3). The card may also have other ratings (Such as A or U) but if it says V30 or better you are good. And as always, the best bet is to see what the manufacturer recommends/requires. But keeping it simple = V30 minimum.

As old man mavic stated, "better to have 2 64 GB cards instead of 1 and for the same reason. FYI, I have yet to fill up 1 card as I download my photos and videos to both my iPad and and my PC Windows 10 Professional. I format the card after downloading.

I use multiple 64GB cards because I no longer backup on a portable hard drive. I also change the card everyday. I am not sure if 4K+ is going to force me to go to a higher GB card. When traveling I found the task of backing up was a real pain, especially if you are in a tent in the middle of the Serengeti with only a central tent having 2 hours of electricity a day. Plus being tired or wanting to explore preempts messing around with portable hard drives. You mentioned you download to your ipad. What method do you use to download? Thanks

Reactions: Lionfish
The problem with these kinds of reports is that people read them and they do not give a bottom line answer. The bottom line is that cards are pretty inexpensive these days and 4K (or 2.7K) is the video that is being shot. Photos can be taken with about any card. So the bottom line is V30 based on video recording needs. If you get a V30 card you are good for any situation and satisfy the specs for essentially every DJI (and most likely other manufacturers) drones. Also for this purpose V30 = U3. Hope this helps.

The problem with these kinds of reports is that people read them and they do not give a bottom line answer
My article answers all of the common questions Mavic owners ask when buying a memory card. So, if that's a typical report, I think I nailed it ;)

I don't think there is a bottom line answer. Everyone has different needs.

The problem with these kinds of reports is that people read them and they do not give a bottom line answer. The bottom line is that cards are pretty inexpensive these days and 4K (or 2.7K) is the video that is being shot. Photos can be taken with about any card. So the bottom line is V30 based on video recording needs. If you get a V30 card you are good for any situation and satisfy the specs for essentially every DJI (and most likely other manufacturers) drones. Also for this purpose V30 = U3. Hope this helps.
Thanks for pointing that out

My article answers all of the common questions Mavic owners ask when buying a memory card. So, if that's a typical report, I think I nailed it ;)

I don't think there is a bottom line answer. Everyone has different needs.
I am sorry. I did not mean to be so negative. I did not know you wrote it. The bottom line answer is what most people want to know is what size and what is compatible. The size is open but for most people it is V30. I would be interested if you disagree with this bottom line and why. Again sorry I did not intend to insult you. My standard answer when asked this question is as follows.

‘Speed Class’ refers to the absolute minimum sustained write speeds. Cards can be rated as Class 2 (minimum write speed of 2MB/s), Class 4 (4MB/s), Class 6 (6MB/s) or Class 10 (10MB/s). The next rating is the UHS Speed Class. This stands for Ultra High Speed and refers to minimum sustained writing performance for recording video. UHS came about due to 4K-capable video devices needing faster write speeds. There are two UHS Speed Classes, UHS Speed Class 1 and UHS Speed Class 3. UHS Speed Class 1 supports a minimum 10MB/s write speed, whereas UHS Speed Class 3 supports at least 30MB/s write speed. The UHS Speed Class is denoted by either a 1 or 3 inside of a bucket U symbol. As a rule of thumb, 4K-capable camcorders will usually require at least a U3 rated SD card. Extremely high-resolution video (4 or 8K), demanded even faster cards and this is provided by V class which range from 6 to 90. The number represents MB/sec. Confused yet? Keep reading. So, going from fastest to slowest with these numbers it is V90, V60, V30 (which is equal to U3) V10 (which is equal to U1 and Speed Class 10). The remaining are not worth considering.

Also, for drones ignore A1 and A2 ratings and just pay attention to V ratings. The A ratings are for application extensive operations such as smartphones and mobile gaming consoles. This is the Application Performance Class Specification. These cards essentially extend the memory of these devices. The apps that run on these devices interact with memory space differently. Rather than a stream of sequential data (think video), they write a lot of small chunks of data wherever there's space available. That's known as random read/write (compared to sequential read/write that's important for video). A card that is suitable for random reading and writing may not be suitable for sequential reading and writing. The A1 and A2 cards have different random read and write ratings but have the same minimum sequential write speed of 10 megabytes per second. This speed is equivalent to the Class 10 video speed rating. The Class 10 rating is about the same is the V10 rating. The V10 rating is too slow for your drone.

So, the bottom line for your drone camera (at least DJI drones) you need a minimum V30 card (or U3). The card may also have other ratings (Such as A or U) but if it says V30 or better you are good. And as always, the best bet is to see what the manufacturer recommends/requires. But keeping it simple = V30 minimum.

Also, the recommended cards (DJI) can be found in the FAQ for each model.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas