DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SD card stuck

bob neal

Reactions
I used the suggested method for pulling out the SD card, ie. putting on a piece of tape to make a “handle.”

Now the card is apparently “glued” inside the slot and I can’t even get it to pop out when pushing it in, even with a small screwdriver. Any suggestions? I thought about blowing heat on it or maybe even some type of solvent.

I'm assuming this is the mini-SD card inserted into the slot on the side of a Mavic Pro, or Mavic Pro 2 ... yes??
For such a small card, the mini-SD card has a proportionally large cam on the side of it that acts as a 'mechanical' latch to keep the card in the slot and engaged. As you rightly point out, the construction of the cam structure on the side of the card, also engages the release mechanism when the card is pushed in further than the latch position. In other words, if you can't make the card pop out by pressing it in a little further with the blade of a screw-driver, then yes - there is something seriously wrong in there ...
I'm assuming that you know the card has been put in the right way round - yes? It is difficult to put the card in upside down - with the latch cam on the wrong side - but not impossible if it's forced! If that's been done, then the card slot is going to be pretty much u/s! If the card has been inserted the right way round, and the card still won't come out, then that also means the card slot mechanism is probably u/s. The slot/latch mechanism is designed to be lightweight and simple - so - if it goes wrong, it tends to stay wrong - and even if it did free up and let you have your card back, it's highly likely that it would do the same again soon.
Here's an article about this type of card interface ... https://www.quora.com/How-is-a-memory-card-held-in-mobile-phones-How-does-the-mechanism-work
That may be helpful, but unfortunately, I think you'll need to look at a way of either getting the mechanism replaced on the card that its a part of, or get a new card. Either way - you'll be hard pressed to get the micro-SD card back without at least pulling things apart to get down to board level.
Maybe @Thunderdrones can give us some more advice about how to fix this problem ...

U/S??

I’m pretty sure the card was inserted correctly,since I had removed it and put it back in several times before. Problem is I think that when I last inserted it,I left it in for several months.

Sorry - u/s = old-school term for 'unserviceable' [= broken!]
Has there been any way that the components of your Drone got wet/damp (flying in cloud or for for example)? I'd be reluctant to put any solvent in the mechanism, as that would make it clog up with dust pretty quickly afterwards.

The tape has more than likely swollen within the slot and the adhesive has adhered itself to the inside. Never fear. Get a heat gun and move it at least 10 inches away from the slot and move it back and forth over the area for a short time. Dont get the area so hot as to deform the plastic around the area. Then use some tweezers and push the SD card inwards to unlatch it and then carefully pull it out. Remove tape.

I used the suggested method for pulling out the SD card, ie. putting on a piece of tape to make a “handle.”

Now the card is apparently “glued” inside the slot and I can’t even get it to pop out when pushing it in, even with a small screwdriver. Any suggestions? I thought about blowing heat on it or maybe even some type of solvent.
Ahhh - just realised ... Had you left the 'tape handle' on the SD card for the 'several months'??? I thought you meant that you'd attached a bit of tape to it to try and get it out now ... If you have left the tape on for a while, then yes, heat as per BD0G suggests above, but note that the SD slot will probably be gunked-up with the adhesive. You may be able to clean it with a fine toothpick and some solvent after the card pops ... fingers crossed ...
Just for the record ... As you can now attest! The idea of putting tape onto a micro-SD card is not a good one (to put it mildly!).

Reactions: WAXMAN
Goof off or Goo Gone is an option on a cotton swab. Dont over do it with the adhesive removal though. If you want to be really save use Mineral Oil as it will not adversely effect electronic components in any way. Guys have built fully submerged PC's in Mineral Oil. They are a trip.
Mineral Oil is non-conductive.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Goof off or Goo Gone is an option on a cotton swab. Dont over do it with the adhesive removal though. If you want to be really save use Mineral Oil as it will not adversely effect electronic components in any way. Guys have built fully submerged PC's in Mineral Oil. They are a trip.
Mineral Oil is non-conductive.
Great idea, tho' I'd suggest you try to get the slot as clean and 'dry' as possible afterward, because a) the mineral oil will attract dust (remember that your Mavic hoovers up the grass surface during take-off & landing), and b) due to the mineral oil being non-conductive, you don't want residue sitting between the card's terminal strips and the socket contacts causing any connection issues.

Ahhh - just realised ... Had you left the 'tape handle' on the SD card for the 'several months'??? I thought you meant that you'd attached a bit of tape to it to try and get it out now ... If you have left the tape on for a while, then yes, heat as per BD0G suggests above, but note that the SD slot will probably be gunked-up with the adhesive. You may be able to clean it with a fine toothpick and some solvent after the card pops ... fingers crossed ...
Just for the record ... As you can now attest! The idea of putting tape onto a micro-SD card is not a good one (to put it mildly!).

Yep!

OP, if the SD card still records, I would say dont mess with it any further. Trying to get it out could damage the slot, or more importantly, the core board forever, and the only way to repair it is to replace the entire $300 core board.

You can leave it in there forever, no need to take it out. Just offload media via Micro USB port, and thats all you need to do.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! Appreciate your help. Currently the controller is telling me I don’t have a card installed which makes me wonder if I didn’t screw it up in trying to remove it. I’m on a trip right now but will try your advice when I get back home where my wife has a heat gun, there’s goof off in the cabinet and mineral oil in the grocery store.

Try using some tweezers. I don't use tape myself but you sre correct. It is a bad and tight place. I have had to use tweezers numerous times

It won’t help for removing it now unless you get it to pop free, but I use a hemostat rather than tweezers for handling my SD card. It is much more secure for handling something this small.

It won’t help for removing it now unless you get it to pop free, but I use a hemostat rather than tweezers for handling my SD card. It is much more secure for handling something this small.

hi on you tube it shows a stripdown of the mavic air its in german but you can see what to do on the video looks quite easy , only have to take the top of not the motors just need credit card and small screwdriver to get to the sd card holder

Last edited:
The card location in the MA has always been a boon to the user. The particular location, my opinion, could have been better designed. But, alas, DJI never once considered consulting me for the design of the MA. Tweezers have always worked just fine for me as I am sure the hemostat has for you. I am also not a fan of using tape on the micro SD or in the slot either. As to my opinion, tape must always be examined closely as it is possible for some of the gum to work loose and foul the card area. I also insist on changing the card with each battery. Five batteries, Four 64GB [U3] cards. One battery is used exclusively for update purposes (unless the batteries also have update coming) and kept on standby for charging other items, i.e., phone, tablet, RC, etc if necessary!
Thanks for all of the great suggestions! Appreciate your help. Currently the controller is telling me I don’t have a card installed which makes me wonder if I didn’t screw it up in trying to remove it. I’m on a trip right now but will try your advice when I get back home where my wife has a heat gun, there’s goof off in the cabinet and mineral oil in the grocery store.

Un-Do is also available on AMAZON.COM, I have used it on electronics in the past without side effects. But, this was me!
It's also great for removing unwanted bumper stickers!

Ok nothing has worked and I’m beginning to wonder if I didn’t insert it upside down since my controller is telling me I have NO SD card installed. I didn’t think it was possible (or I was so stupid) to install it upside down.image.jpg

Yea it is a mess, you can see I've been trying to get into it. The Goo Gone took care of the tape, but it's still stuck. The acronym FUBAR comes to mind, FoxhallGH

Reactions: FoxhallGH
If it were mine and nothing works I will try to inject it a small needle and syringe with kerosene or oil base liquid. it will lubricate and loosen the sticky substance then perhaps it will remove this my only two cents opinion?

Yea it is a mess, you can see I've been trying to get into it. The Goo Gone took care of the tape, but it's still stuck. The acronym FUBAR comes to mind, FoxhallGH
It is still 'recognisable' ... :D

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots