DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sd card

jerryj

Reactions
How much video can you have on a 32 GB SD card I'm brand-new to this I don't have my Mavic at this timeI was wondering what kind of card to get thank you for your reply

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

You'll get about 2 minutes of 4K video per 1 GB of memory. When in record mode in DJI GO, you can see how much time is remaining at the top, right of DJI GO.

Minutes.png

Reactions: Anthony
With the stock 16GB I can do 35 minutes of 4k at 30fps. How low are you flying your batteries? You must listen to the low battery beep for 6 minutes lol

Sounds about right! But why would you want to switch batteries and SD Cards so quickly or every time a battery is about dead. Saves the hassle if you have two batteries run a 32 GB, 4 a 64 GB. If you for get to swap the SD with a battery your covered. The low battery beep can be adjusted. It defaults to around 30% and goes critical at 10% if your flying with in line of sight you can go more. For distance I'd leave it.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: cimp65
A 32gb card should last for 3 flights... But why would you want to? I would use 16gb cards, and swap with each battery, for safety of your footage. Plus, WHEN a card fails, it's not as big of a headache. I laugh when people question the 64gb max, and want to use a 128gb. Why? Why would you want a 64, much less a 128? Save those for your phone!

Sent from Dana's Nexus 6p

Reactions: PowerT1998
Well, If people are opening / closing the SD card flap on the drone and inserting / removing a SD card very frequently.... Then we are going to start hearing about allot of SD errors and how the flap is broken. I don't think the flap and SD card were meant to be used with such frequency??

I would use 16gb cards, and swap with each battery, for safety of your footage.

A 32gb card should last for 3 flights... But why would you want to? I would use 16gb cards, and swap with each battery, for safety of your footage. Plus, WHEN a card fails, it's not as big of a headache. I laugh when people question the 64gb max, and want to use a 128gb. Why? Why would you want a 64, much less a 128? Save those for your phone!

Kinda a "catch 22" here...one could also make the statement that with a larger SD card they don't have to worry about filling it up as fast, thus they would have to stop recording. I use the 64gb just for that reason. Besides, every freaking time I eject that small card it shoots out and I don't need to be looking for a 1/2"x1/2" piece of plastic in tall grass.

The price was so low that I simply bought a 128 GB microSD - which should cover any given weekend worth of flying.

Enough things can go wrong that fussing with these tiny microSD cards in the field is not something I want to add. Just wish my microSD was checkerboard yellow/black instead of black.

Reactions: Anthony Viscomi
Well, If people are opening / closing the SD card flap on the drone and inserting / removing a SD card very frequently.... Then we are going to start hearing about allot of SD errors and how the flap is broken. I don't think the flap and SD card were meant to be used with such frequency??

Bingo! You'll wear the connections out faster. They aren't expensive anymore either. Phones use internal space for that reason now (also the reason the prices are dropping). I'll admit it will need to be replaced at some point but shouldn't be accessed constantly. The best bet is a bigger card to reduce the wear and odds of running out of memory. Plus your Mavic will have higher transfer speeds to the computer via an adapter and although the Mavic can only read and write at a certain rate it may do a little better with a faster SD. Performance is always subjective in electronics.

Last edited:
Bingo! You'll wear the connections out faster. They aren't expensive anymore either. Phones use internal space for that reason now (also the reason the prices are dropping). I'll admit it will need to be replaced at some point but shouldn't be accessed constantly. The best bet is a bigger card to reduce the wear and odds of running out of memory. Plus your Mavic will have higher transfer speeds to the computer via an adapter and although the Mavic can only read and write at a certain rate it may do a little better with a faster SD. Performance is always subjective in electronics.

I'll agree that connections have a life limit. But I think you'd be on your next drone or the mavic would be dead before the SD card slot dies. I've never killed one on anything, it can happen sure, but not likely in my eyes.
With the cost of individual parts to repair things, you'd just buy the newest drone. Hence why I didn't fix my P2v+ wifi module ($200 and out of stock everywhere) and I bought mavic lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sounds about right! But why would you want to switch batteries and SD Cards so quickly or every time a battery is about dead. Saves the hassle if you have two batteries run a 32 GB, 4 a 64 GB. If you for get to swap the SD with a battery your covered. The low battery beep can be adjusted. It defaults to around 30% and goes critical at 10% if your flying with in line of sight you can go more. For distance I'd leave it.

I did get a 64gb sandisk extreme pro, the 95/90 MB/s card, not the new pro one that can do like 250MB/s. I wish they didn't have multiple cards named so close together. It was hard ordering on amazon ensuring I was getting the speeds I wanted.

I was saying for me at 20 minutes per battery the 16gb was good for 2 flights for the most part while I waited.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

This is very tunnel vision kind of thinking, isn't it !? Just because you can see a purpose for a tool doesn't mean the tool is useless, it just means you don't have a use for it.

I bought the Mavic because on kayaking/rafting weekends where we need to pack light I don't have to bring an extra back with a drone, I just get this with the rest of the camera gear.

All my cameras ( GoPros, camcorders ) have either the maximum card size or minimum 256Gb - I just focus on getting the shots with whichever quality I believe it's appropriate.

From Thursday night to Monday morning I sometimes don't have the luxury of accessing the laptop to dump footage, its extra weight to carry around and it only makes me transfer files an extra time, since I'll be dumping them in a cloud when I get home.

I have always used the largest available but had the fortune of having a photography day with a National Geographic photographer a couple of years ago and he swore by only using max 16gb cards. He also took about 5% of the shots the rest of us did, and ended up with the best photo's from the day. :)

Reactions: luis sc

I have a 200GB card in my mavic and it works great. I hate having to move videos off the card to make space, or missing footage because my card is full.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143