DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sectional question while studying Part 107

Fort Pierce Pilot

Turning downwind and climbing
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I'm taking Remote Pilot 101 to prepare for the Part 107 test. In one presentation Jason shows towers and explains they have two elevations shown on the sectional; MSL/AGL. In my area there are a number of them with only one number. Is that MSL or AGL? I asked the Remote Pilot 101 support team but they were unable to answer the question. Great course but support seems to be strictly cut & paste from FAQs. Here's the area: https://mavicpilots.com/media/towers-jpg.3333/full

I am surprised that Remote Pilot 101 couldn't/wouldn't answer your question. If I had to answer I would select MSL. The figures appear to be a little larger and bolder then the AGL heights listed, plus they aren't in parenthesis so I would answer it as them being MSL.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
It’s important to remember that traditionally, aircraft have altimeters based on barometric pressure, which is a function of height above sea level, and has nothing to do with the height above the ground. So if a chart told a pilot how high something is relative to the ground, he would have no way to compare that to his altitude as shown on his instruments. So normally chart altitudes are shown MSL to match the instruments.

I'm taking Remote Pilot 101 to prepare for the Part 107 test. In one presentation Jason shows towers and explains they have two elevations shown on the sectional; MSL/AGL. In my area there are a number of them with only one number. Is that MSL or AGL? I asked the Remote Pilot 101 support team but they were unable to answer the question. Great course but support seems to be strictly cut & paste from FAQs. Here's the area: https://mavicpilots.com/media/towers-jpg.3333/full
Those numbers listed for an obstruction are MSL. If the number were AGL it would be listed in parentheses. As others have properly mentioned above, MSL is important to a pilot since AGL would be more difficult to determine. The altimeter in a manned aircraft is displaying MSL to the pilot.

Also, the AGL number is optional on VFR charts. It will not be listed when it is not precisely known or if the AGL numbers would make the chart too congested with information. The sectional area you pointed to is very congested with towers in that area so it makes sense.

I would really be cautious of sending anyone to Remote pilot 101 if they could not answer this question. Why pay for a course if they cannot answer questions like this?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura