Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sedona, Arizona?

adcimagery

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.adcimagery.com
I've spotted a few Arizona-based pilots on here, so I've got a question: has anyone found a definitive source for flying in the Sedona area?

I remember last time I was up there, the town was putting up No Drone signs, but I heard those weren't backed by anything more than NIMBYism from the town. Reading the sectional, I'd assume I'm good to go in the class G airspace, but the fact that so much of the area is state park (drone ops banned) and wilderness area (no launch/land) makes things a mess.

Anyone flown up there recently?

Reactions: wingbotics
I’ve not flown that area. Air space doesn’t belong to the inhabitants, but the red dirt does. May be a good idea to check with the local LEO and get some indications and direction from them just to be on the pro side.

A cursory Google search shows they're pretty lenient at the moment - at least according to their Tourism office.

But Red Rock Secret Mountain Wilderness, Munds Mountain Wilderness, Sycamore Canyon Wilderness, and Red Rock State Park are all areas you can't take off or land in, even if you want to overfly the area. Arizona State Parks are prohibited for takeoff/landing, as are designated wilderness areas.

Reactions: Thomas B
I've spotted a few Arizona-based pilots on here, so I've got a question: has anyone found a definitive source for flying in the Sedona area?

I remember last time I was up there, the town was putting up No Drone signs, but I heard those weren't backed by anything more than NIMBYism from the town. Reading the sectional, I'd assume I'm good to go in the class G airspace, but the fact that so much of the area is state park (drone ops banned) and wilderness area (no launch/land) makes things a mess.

Here's a couple links referencing your question. There's a lot more on Google. Enjoy

Here’s my answer from last winter
Just watch locations for TO and wilderness margins. The signs were placed by the town council and are not legal.

Reactions: Weazel
Did you end up doing any flying in Sedona? I am going there in a few days and am trying to figure out what is allowed and what isn't.

Did you end up doing any flying in Sedona? I am going there in a few days and am trying to figure out what is allowed and what isn't.
The rate signs posted. Much of the area is designated as wilderness, but the rare fingers of legal flight areas....!

The rate signs posted. Much of the area is designated as wilderness, but the rare fingers of legal flight areas....!
Hey Thomas! Sorry, I'm a newbie... I'm not following what you are saying. I understand the areas being designated as wilderness but what are the rate signs and you are saying there aren't any legal flight areas around?

You’ll have to check the Sedona Municipal Code, Coconino and Yavapai County Codes and the Arizona Code for further details, but I don’t see any reason that you cannot fly in or near Sedona, especially if you hold a Remote Pilot Certificate.

Hey Thomas! Sorry, I'm a newbie... I'm not following what you are saying. I understand the areas being designated as wilderness but what are the rate signs and you are saying there aren't any legal flight areas around?
Fingers of National Forest into NFS wilderness. You can fly in the National Forest. Really nothing on the east side of 89. There are maps showing the designations at trailheads.

Here’s my answer from last winter
Just watch locations for TO and wilderness margins. The signs were placed by the town council and are not legal.
I love the shots guys. Thank you for some direction I just got to Sedona tonight from SoCal. And am fired up to get some great shots.

Hey Guys its Nov. 21 2020 and I just got into Sedona to get some drone footage. There has been so much ******** I have weeded through this past week regarding rules and regs. I have my part 107 and don't want to lose it. So I am going out and ignoring the unlawful signs. I will report back with some shots and what I learned. -Justin

Hey Guys its Nov. 21 2020 and I just got into Sedona to get some drone footage. There has been so much ******** I have weeded through this past week regarding rules and regs. I have my part 107 and don't want to lose it. So I am going out and ignoring the unlawful signs. I will report back with some shots and what I learned. -Justin
Take the trail to the sinkhole at Devil’s Kitchen and on to the the Seven Sacred Pools. Then continue on and branch off to the north after a couple more miles to reach Soldier Pass Cave... This is about a 5-6 mile easy out and back hike. The cave is interesting and not what you’ll expect.

I was told they do not look kindly to drone flying by a state park ranger.

I am currently flying in Sedona this week. Many great sights are legal and not in wilderness or national forests or state parks (or you can legally launch from outside and fly in. I use AirMap and confirmed all of this. Airport is Class G as others noted and not a problem, (be aware and fly with caution) great vistas near there. Flying chapel of the Holy Cross, Bell Rock, Cathedral, and the Airport Vortex. All legal and very close to Sedona. Near town be careful to avoid straying on private property as lot lines are not always obvious.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143