DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seeking 3D No Fly Zone app

Involute

Reactions
Newbie here (I don't actually even have a drone yet). I live within the five mile notification zone of a nearby airport and sometimes I might want to fly at places where the 15 degree no fly zone expansion could be an issue. Is there an app that will let me enter a location and then tell me how high the no fly zone begins for the nearest airport at that point? Thanks.

So I don't know the details of the NFZ DJI app stuff. Haven't really (fortunately!) had to deal with it too much. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the "15 degree no fly zone expansion" either.

UPDATE: Okay now I see that the 15 degree thing is part of the DJI NFZ stuff. I'm relatively new with the Mavic myself so obviously I need to make sure I know what's up w/ that more before getting unexpectedly screwed on a job! :) I'm leaving the rest below as it's still good if you want to know the actual airspace rules. :)

The best bet if you really want to know your airspace is to learn to read the official FAA Sectional Charts. Best site to look at them is SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts - I also use GAIA (iOS map) to layer sectional charts over satellite maps
Watch some YouTube videos to learn how to read the sectional charts. They're complicated at best but in the end are the best way to know the FAA airspace limits (which I think is what you're referring to re: the height of zones..)

Here's a few of the videos I watched prepping for the 107 test

Otherwise, Airmap.io on web and iOS app as well as Kittyhawk iOS app have good maps (Kittyhawk has already integrated the new FAA facility maps). Sorry if you're on android, I have no idea which apps are cross platform :D

Better than sectional maps, the FAA has released facility maps for the US.

Designed for part 107 users they will eventually have grids for operating within restricted airspace for every airport.

But right now they have layers for every airspace, at any airport. You can toggle them on/off and when you click on them they tell you the upper and lower limits of the airspace.

Next best thing to a 3d map.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000