DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seeking advice about iPad mini

Marko9219

Reactions
After flying full time with a full size iPad air (not a single issue, ever) I've decided to get a mini for travel purposes. Not knowing much about Apple products, what level of mini do I need? It will not be used for anything but flying, so it will have about 4 flight apps and that's it. I'm assume the lowest amount of memory available will suffice just fine for flying? I also think I'll not get the cell signal enabled one, just wifi enabled, then use my phone as a Hotspot for mapping. Doable idea? Any ideas what one will cost me? Thanks in advance.

After flying full time with a full size iPad air (not a single issue, ever) I've decided to get a mini for travel purposes. Not knowing much about Apple products, what level of mini do I need? It will not be used for anything but flying, so it will have about 4 flight apps and that's it. I'm assume the lowest amount of memory available will suffice just fine for flying? I also think I'll not get the cell signal enabled one, just wifi enabled, then use my phone as a Hotspot for mapping. Doable idea? Any ideas what one will cost me? Thanks in advance.
I went for a refurbished 16GB WiFi iPad mini 4.
Works great for me, absolutely zero issues.

I started out using my phone as a Hotspot but now have it offline altogether. Don't need maps and no intention of doing any updates.

Cost me £210 in UK but not sure where you are in the world so can't help with that.

Mini 4, WiFi only, antiglare screen, remember to keep home button on your right side to make sure cover magnets don't interfere with control stick calibration, originally got a refurbish from apple, had a 1 year warranty, but after a few months it bricked up, apple replaced it with a new one, no cost except a trip to the apple store.

I used various version of the iPad Mini for years on all my DJI platforms w/o any issues.

what level of mini do I need?
Any of the Apple products listed here will work. If you want the best available iPad Mini, then get the iPad Mini 4.

I'm assume the lowest amount of memory available will suffice just fine for flying?
16 GB will be fine if you're only going to use it to fly. Both my iPad Mini 2 and iPad Mini 4 are 16 GB. I only used them to fly and have never run out of space on them.

then use my phone as a Hotspot for mapping
Setting up a hotspot will be fine for downloading the maps as you fly (or using other features that require being connected to the Internet).

The only thing that won't allow you to do is use the Follow Me flight mode or reset the home point to your current location (in a case where you move away from the home point after taking off). Both of those features require GPS on your mobile device. When using Apple products, that means you'll need a cellular model. The GPS will work even if the cellular service has not been activated.

If you buy a Wi-Fi only iPad Mini and need to add GPS later for some reason, you could connect a Bluetooth GPS receiver (like one of these) to your iPad Mini.

So if I have iPad mini 4 wifi + cellular then I don't need to download area/location map at home via internet before I fly MP at a brand new location? I should be able to have and see either "Here" or "Google" map when I connect my iPad mini 4 (with Airplane mode turned on) with RC. Follow Me flight mode should be working too right? I read so many discussions and I got confused. Thanks.

Another vote for the ipad mini 4 16gb. Mine has been perfect, and of course it is a good tight fit in the controller mount.

if I have iPad mini 4 wifi + cellular then I don't need to download area/location map at home via internet before I fly MP at a brand new location?
You don't need to cache the maps ahead of time if the cellular service is activated on your iPad Mini.

Follow Me flight mode should be working too right?
Yes.

I`d go for mini 4. I`m using it bought it for 120£ with faulty cameras and power on button. Running IOS10 Works flawlessly always.
With mini 4 You`ll be safe for some time if You like to update everything. The older devices will get too slow at some point with updates

I have the Mini 4 wifi. I just tether my iPhone to it for location service

Which location service are you referring to?

Since my iPad is only wifi I just tether my iPhone to it using Personal Hotspot

Since my iPad is only wifi I just tether my iPhone to it using Personal Hotspot
You're creating a hotspot to download the maps? The "location service" part was a little confusing.

You're creating a hotspot to download the maps? The "location service" part was a little confusing.

Sorry, yes...If / when I forget to Cache an area I'm flying I just turn on hotspot on my phone

Thinking of getting a Mini 4
Amazon have these - just wondering if anybody has bought one - if so how did it work out - I did the bold red highlighting - any feedback will be appreciated
Thanks

Apple iPad Mini 4 - 16GB Wifi - Gray (Renewed)
Product works and looks like new. Backed by the 90-day Amazon Renewed Guarantee.
Renewed products work and look like new. These pre-owned products are not Apple certified but have been inspected and tested by Amazon-qualified suppliers. Box and accessories may be generic. All Renewed products come with the 90-day Amazon Renewed Guarantee. Learn more
  • This Certified Refurbished product has been tested and certified to work and look like new, with minimal to no signs of wear, by a specialized third-party seller approved by Amazon. The product is backed by a minimum 90-day warranty, and may arrive in a generic brown or white box. Accessories may be generic and not directly from the manufacturer.
  • 7.9" Retina Display, 2048 x 1536 Resolution
  • Apple iOS 9, Dual-Core A8 Chip with Quad-Core Graphics
  • 8 MP iSight Camera, 1080p HD Video Recording
  • 16GB Capacity, Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n/ac) + MIMO + Bluetooth 4.2

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters