DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seeking Advice: Mavic Pro is my First

jimbug

Reactions
I'd love to hear constructive advice since the Mavic Pro will be my first quadcopter/drone. The only other thing I've flown was a toy remote control helicopter from J C Penney:)

I'm reading the manuals I downloaded and watching YouTube videos. One thing that I'm confused about is the orientation process where you spin the Mavic 360 degrees twice. Is this just done once when it's new?

Thanks in advance! Jim Miller

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Advexure
One thing that I'm confused about is the orientation process where you spin the Mavic 360 degrees twice. Is this just done once when it's new?
That's how you calibrate the compass. Check out this guide for more details on when the compass should be calibrated.

Reactions: jimbug
That's how you calibrate the compass. Check out this guide for more details on when the compass should be calibrated.
I'm little confused, some ppl in the forums say you don't need to calibrate the Mavic when you receive it or until it asks to do so..

There are different calibrations. The compass calibration does require it to be done (at least mine did) right after I updated the firmware. There is an RC calibration (if you notice drift), gimbal calibration, IMU calibration. I did the RC, Compass, Gimbal calibrations, just because. I have not been asked to do an IMU and will not do so unless required.

Compass calibration may be asked for the most often - and depending on where you are flying from, it may be required quite often. OH, and if you have an apple watch, take it off before doing the calibration. It will interfere with the whole process.

Reactions: jimbug and dam
I'm little confused, some ppl in the forums say you don't need to calibrate the Mavic when you receive it or until it asks to do so..
I've seen a few people here mention that the IMU calibration should not be done right out of the box -- since the Mavic manual states that it should only be done when prompted by DJI GO. DJI manuals aren't always the best source of information though. I'm going to calibrate my IMU before flying.

Reactions: jimbug
Thanks for your awesomely complete answer MavicHelp/msinger!

As a side note...I have just joined this forum and was wondering if I could find good, thorough information from experts in a field I'm just entering as a neophyte. Well, I think I just got my answer:) MavicPilots was a great forum to join. Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Compass calibration should be done when you take it out of the box, after a firmware update, and when you move around to new flying environments as there will be different magnetic interferences at new flying locations.

Reactions: jimbug and dam
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61