DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sell my new un-flown Mavic air 2 to get 2s?

Reactions
I bought a mini 2 and Mavic air 2 at the same time a few months ago, I've been flying the Mini 2 exclusively and have yet to fly my Air 2. I was wondering if I should sell my Air 2 to help fund the purchase of the 2s before I fly it to keep maximum resale value. Any 2s owners think I should keep the Air 2 instead of upgrading?

If it were me, I'd sell the Mini...but that's just me.

You will lose something on selling the Air 2, at least 20% I'd guess, even if not activated.
Nature of buying / selling, everyone wants a bargain if buying 'used' (even if not really used in this case).

Do you REALLY need to extra camera / photo & video upgrade ?
Auto features like Mastershots might be attractive if you use them, occusync upgrade, doesn't really matter too much with VLOS rules if you try and stay within those, better OA, again how much do you value that.

While it's nice to take the best photos and video you can, the Air 2 takes these to suit most hobbyists needs anyway.

It'd be nice to have the extra step up between the Mini 2 and the Air 2s, but the Air 2 is already a fair step up from the Mini 2 in the camera dept.

It'd come down to how much you mind / will have to forsake in taking the $ loss, versus how much you want the better camera and some more minor other features.

I like the mini 2 way too much to sell it. It's a great carry along in my hiking kit. I typically shoot landscape photo's with my Nikon D610 full-frame DSLR. I've taken some really nice aerial photos with the mini 2 but wished the quality was a bit better.

Reactions: Howard70
I like the mini 2 way too much to sell it. It's a great carry along in my hiking kit. I typically shoot landscape photo's with my Nikon D610 full-frame DSLR. I've taken some really nice aerial photos with the mini 2 but wished the quality was a bit better.
Although it's going to cost a bit it sounds like it would be worth upgrading to an Air 2S as the 1in sensor is a noticeable upgrade in dynamic range. Similar to you I have full frame still cameras and while I liked the aerial viewpoint the original Mavic Pro offered I did find the limited dynamic range frustrating so I bought the Mavic 2 Pro when it was released which has been well worth it for the improvement in landscape photos.

I can't comment on the actual drone as I've not had an Air 2 or Mini myself.

Although it's going to cost a bit it sounds like it would be worth upgrading to an Air 2S as the 1in sensor is a noticeable upgrade in dynamic range. Similar to you I have full frame still cameras and while I liked the aerial viewpoint the original Mavic Pro offered I did find the limited dynamic range frustrating so I bought the Mavic 2 Pro when it was released which has been well worth it for the improvement in landscape photos.

I can't comment on the actual drone as I've not had an Air 2 or Mini myself.
Very informative John, thanks!

Reactions: toadmeister2k
My first ( M2) is a superb 4K literally palm-sized folded quad you can pack away anywhere. Under 250 grams and no FAA registering. I keep both the Mini2 and 2S for different use, but I can't seem to let go of the solid little Mini when needing to "send up a drone" at a moment's notice.

My first ( M2) is a superb 4K literally palm-sized folded quad you can pack away anywhere. Under 250 grams and no FAA registering. I keep both the Mini2 and 2S for different use, but I can't seem to let go of the solid little Mini when needing to "send up a drone" at a moment's notice.
I agree, my Mini 2 sits in a hard case in my trunk with 5 batteries. It's my "I wonder what's over there" drone.

I have pretty much decided to keep the Air 2 because of battery and charger compatibility with the 2s. I am going to sell my unused Tripltek 7 pro to offset the cost on the 2s.

I have pretty much decided to keep the Air 2 because of battery and charger compatibility with the 2s. I am going to sell my unused Tripltek 7 pro to offset the cost on the 2s.
If you don’t want the Air 2 craft, list it and the rc on eBay or another market and keep the batteries and chargers. I did that with one of my drones.

Ps I red that you kept it. Good decision.

I own both.

Mini 2 is great for excursions, traveling to other pkaces.
air 2 is used in the vicinity. More delicate.

I saw the 2S, maybe Im crazy but I prefer the MA2.
It is not worth losing or spending an extra 200+ bucks Just to upgrade.

You paid say 799+tax, then sell it for $699.00 if lucky.
To shell over 950 plus tax for the 2s?

True cost is $1100+

what tablet will you use with the 2s if you sell your tripletek 7?

So I'm just curious on your reasoning for keeping your MA2 and buying a new S2. It seems like there's significant overlap in the capability between the two plus the enhancements to the S2, and that after an upgrade to the S2 you really wouldn't keep flying the MA2. Short of giving the MA2 to a family member or friend that needs a drone, it seems like selling it would make sense to help pay for the S2.

I bought a mini 2 and Mavic air 2 at the same time a few months ago, I've been flying the Mini 2 exclusively and have yet to fly my Air 2. I was wondering if I should sell my Air 2 to help fund the purchase of the 2s before I fly it to keep maximum resale value. Any 2s owners think I should keep the Air 2 instead of upgrading?
Interesting question, I was in a similar “quandary” today. Ordered a MA2 through B&H yesterday, the Fly More with extra filters, landing pad, etc… thrown in. Then I checked Costco last night, and saw they are selling the 2S for a comparable price, but NOT with the Fly More package. It does include a 128Gb card and an extra battery, but that’s it. I could/can still cancel my B&H order, and wondered if I should.

My solution was to fire up a spreadsheet, and add up the “value” of each component in the two options. The value is simply what it would cost me to buy each from B&H. I totaled up values for each option, then subtracted the actual price I would be paying, to see how much of a discount I would be getting. The M2A was around $350 better than the Costco alternative, and while the A2S looks very nice, to me it’s not worth $350 more, especially for my first drone.

One last thing that kept me with the B&H option is that Chase is offering 5% on PayPal purchases through the end of the year. Costco doesn’t take PayPal, but B&H does. 5% doesn’t pay all of the 8.25% sales tax here, but it helps.

So I'm just curious on your reasoning for keeping your MA2 and buying a new S2. It seems like there's significant overlap in the capability between the two plus the enhancements to the S2, and that after an upgrade to the S2 you really wouldn't keep flying the MA2. Short of giving the MA2 to a family member or friend that needs a drone, it seems like selling it would make sense to help pay for the S2.
If I purchase the Air 2s I have parts/battery compatibility with the Air 2. I already have 3 batteries for my Air 2 and I will have 4 once I purchase the 2s. I will also have a backup drone by keeping my Air 2.

If I purchase the Air 2s I have parts/battery compatibility with the Air 2. I already have 3 batteries for my Air 2 and I will have 4 once I purchase the 2s. I will also have a backup drone by keeping my Air 2.

I am going to keep my Air 2 as well, for a backup and in case I want to do some sketchy **** :)

Reactions: Screaming Eagles
Reasonable logic. I'm looking forward to the release of the Air 3 in the next year or so, and will have to consider the parts/battery compatibility question before selling my MA2. Thanks.

Reactions: Screaming Eagles

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27