DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Selling a drone; registered as recreational

Martysticks

Reactions
OK, just sold my Mavic Air and totally forgot to remove the FAA sticker :( It's not one of my Part 107 fleet so the sticker on it is my recreational number. I've asked the new owner to remove it and get his own registration. Any other things I need to do?

Reactions: itsneedtokno
FAA registration for recreational hobbyists is for the pilot, not the aircraft. A RH can have 10 aircraft but only needs 1 registration number which is used on all of his drones.

A Part 107 holder must register each aircraft.

Thanks Sam, but I knew that. I'm a Part 107 pilot with multiple drones registered as such. The drone in question had my recreational FAA number; that is what I was asking.

Sorry Marty, I misunderstood your question.

I think what you said about asking the new owner to remove your RH reg number is about all that needs to be done.

OK, just sold my Mavic Air and totally forgot to remove the FAA sticker :( It's not one of my Part 107 fleet so the sticker on it is my recreational number. I've asked the new owner to remove it and get his own registration. Any other things I need to do?
If he doesn't remove it and crashed somewhere illegally, checking the # would come back to you, and you would have to go through the steps to prove you sold it to him.
Make sure he removes it.

If you are not certain he'll remove the number, you could cancel your recreational registration on DroneZone, and then re-register so that you get a new number. That way if he ends up misusing your registration, you'll have evidence that you cancelled that one.

If he doesn't remove it and crashed somewhere illegally, checking the # would come back to you, and you would have to go through the steps to prove you sold it to him.
Make sure he removes it.
Good point. This is where a simple signed purchase of sale would come in handy. Done it many times when selling old boats with reg nos. Still on the boat.

I think like plates when you sell your auto remove them before the the owner takes over.

FAA registration for recreational hobbyists is for the pilot, not the aircraft. A RH can have 10 aircraft but only needs 1 registration number which is used on all of his drones.
A Part 107 holder must register each aircraft.

I was aware that as a hobbiest I only needed one number. In fact when I registered my Mini (because with lights would be over the limit) it didn't ask for model or serial number of the drone. I wasn't aware that registration is different from a Part 107 holder. In fact, I'm studying for my Part 107 which will be taken Oct 1 and I hadn't seen anything differentiating registration between the two classes of pilots. Where would I find that information?

FAA website explains the registration requirements for both Recreationist/Hobbyists.

Registration Fees: Part 107 registration costs $5 per drone and is valid for three (3) years. The Exception for Recreational Flyers registration costs $5 and is valid for three (3) years.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crumple