DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Selling drone purchased in US to someone outside the US

OnlyMavic

Reactions
Are there any issues related to selling a drone (DJI Mavic Air 2, in this case) which was purchased from the DJI Store for delivery in the US to someone abroad? Is there anything about a US market drone that makes it flyable only in the US? I'm showing my ignorance, I know... but my drone is up on eBay now, and I've got a couple of foreign bidders. They made me think about this.

Are there any issues related to selling a drone (DJI Mavic Air 2, in this case) which was purchased from the DJI Store for delivery in the US to someone abroad? Is there anything about a US market drone that makes it flyable only in the US? I'm showing my ignorance, I know... but my drone is up on eBay now, and I've got a couple of foreign bidders. They made me think about this.
No issues.
You could have flown across the world and flown the drone anywhere.
It's going to work just fine for an overseas buyer.
They will probably need a new cable to connect the charger to their mains wall socket, but the charger will accept multi-voltage input..

Reactions: OnlyMavic
Just be weary of a scam. Make sure you know the person you are sending it to.

I think the drone will work fine...but I am just reiterating that you can not be careful enough when dealing with overseas buyers ...especially with costly items....I would hold off until a domestic buyer expresses interest...fees, duties and exchange rates are all a pain to deal with

Don't sell it to someone in China.

They'll steal the technology for sure...

;-)

TCS

No issues.
You could have flown across the world and flown the drone anywhere.
It's going to work just fine for an overseas buyer.
They will probably need a new cable to connect the charger to their mains wall socket, but the charger will accept multi-voltage input..
Uh, check ITAR requirements first. You cannot sell a drone to “anywhere in the world”. There are some restrictions for exporting civilian drones from the US, and probably also importing them as well per country. The seller will have to look them up. Especially affected are drones that are equipped with night vision (the NV units themselves are also regulated) and with swarming capability. Civilian drones are also regulated by ITAR.

Last edited:
None of which apply to our toy consumer drones that are freely available all over the world.
I can sell one to Kim Jong-Un? 😁 I was thinking the Enterprize drone would be an issue due to its NV capabilities- I know the PRK has much more capable drones than our toys, but accidentally selling them to terrorist countries and groups on the list may cause issues. I sold a Gen 3+ NV camera lens a while back and had to get a permit for that, they asked for the buyer’s ID and it took awhile for approval.
I wouldn’t be suprised if it was illegal to import (or soon to be) in some S.American countries with the drug cartels using Mavics to drop bad things on rivals and politicians and all.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett