DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Selling photographt

ojits

Reactions
Hey guys so I'm a little confused on how I can legally sell my photos.

So i have my drone registered with the faa. I am a hobbyist and do not intend to be hired to take photos (as of right now) BUT I do go out and take some really nice photos and I have a couple I printed out and hang on my wall and I was going to sell a photo but I've seen that I need a part 107 but I've also seen that I dont need a part 107...

Key points are..
I do not intend to be hired to take photos.
I take photos on my own time and edit them and I would like to sell a few.

Hey guys so I'm a little confused on how I can legally sell my photos.

So i have my drone registered with the faa. I am a hobbyist and do not intend to be hired to take photos (as of right now) BUT I do go out and take some really nice photos and I have a couple I printed out and hang on my wall and I was going to sell a photo but I've seen that I need a part 107 but I've also seen that I dont need a part 107...

Key points are..
I do not intend to be hired to take photos.
I take photos on my own time and edit them and I would like to sell a few.

If you sell those photos, you must have a 107. You cannot claim to be a hobbyist and try to sell photos, it doesn't matter if you were hired or not.

If you sell those photos, you must have a 107. You cannot claim to be a hobbyist and try to sell photos, it doesn't matter if you were hired or not.
That's dumb lol but alright thanks for the reply!

What if I were to sell the picture and just tell people I dont know who took it lol

S
What if I were to sell the picture and just tell people I dont know who took it lol
If you want to sell it, then sell it. Just don't go on a website and say " hey I am selling pictures ".Sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

Reactions: NRRTRAINS
S
If you want to sell it, then sell it. Just don't go on a website and say " hey I am selling pictures ".Sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.
Also, he can sell it but I will recommend not to say that he took it with a drone. I am not saying that is legal but most likely he will still need to register as a photographer and pay a fee to uncle Sam for the privilege.

The pictures are free, the editing and delivery are what you are charging for.

Ask a hooker, the sex is free you are buying roses at 200 dollars each

There are quite a few part 61 pilots that do the same thing......

Reactions: rafkt
DJI_0979 (2).JPG IMG_20140816_134026171.jpg
I can't charge for the second picture ( above) because I took it from the left seat of a C172, but I can charge for the first one because it was taken from my Mavic and I hold a 107 cert ... pictures are of the same place btw

DJI_0016.JPG

I can sell this ( above,) but not the one below.

IMG_20140816_133937650_HDR.jpg

Which brings to another discussion.

How many TV stations have aired drone footage submitted by viewers?
That is commercial use... and illegal in the eyes of some people.

I have not sold any of my pictures, I have given hundreds of them away with copyright releases. I have been published in several newspapers. I have had Churches use my pictures on their FB pages and other things.

My backside is covered as I am Part 107 and have a Part 61 certificate to protect, but I have a request from a church in NH to do pictures and video for a fund raising campaign for repairs & restoration. How many of you would like to take a nice picture of your church for them to use? How many of you are pissed because we are treated like criminals if we do?

I like taking pictures of old churches, once people see them (usually posted on a FB page) I get requests to do more. I have done them up and down the east coast in my travels, and I have never refused a request for them to be used for the benefit of the church. It pisses me off that we can not do good things with our sUAV's without begging for FAA permission.

Last edited:
Reactions: macoman
Welcome to the US of Regulation. We cannot do much of anything anymore without government permission. We call it the Land of the Free but it really isn't anymore.
Working on my 107, not because I plan to use it connected to any business or profit, but the rules are ridiculous so better safe than sorry. I already have a SEL and Gilder license so it's pretty straight forward.
I look at this the same as renting a U-Haul truck. If it is safe to drive a large cargo truck you rent and drive once in a while, then why do we require people that drive them all the time to be licensed commercially? This one fact means it is not about safety or everyone driving giant trucks would be required to have the commercial license. It is about Control and government fees. Same for the 107 licensing.

Selling a few photographs, is like driving 6mph over the speed limit. Yes it is against the law, and no, nobody gives a rip unless you make it a big deal, or really screw up in some other way.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom