DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sensors turn off during landing

The sensors are never used to avoid obstacles when auto landing. That's why it's important to ensure the takeoff location is clear of all obstacles and/or the area below is clear before manually initiating an auto landing.

Reactions: CJH92474
Fast forward to 3:15 I think it will explain why the descent pauses when hand catching. (landing protection is enabled in the vid)

When I reach for it, it goes back up. Thinking the sensors are telling it there’s an obstacle to avoid.
Ah, there's the key. Reaching for it is the problem. Just hold your hand still, palm up. Hold the left stick down. Keep holding it down. The drone may bounce up once, or stop above your hand, but if you don't move your hand, and hold the stick in descent position, it will drop into your hand. And does that impress the girls!

If sensors are off when landing then why does my M2P stop its landing when I try to hand land?
It is the sideways sensors that are turned off. The reason being since you are only traveling vertically the sensors are not needed. If they were on and detected something close it may cause it to stop or change course.

This is just a WAG since I do not own a M2, but seems reasonable from an engineering standpoint.

Ah, there's the key. Reaching for it is the problem. Just hold your hand still, palm up. Hold the left stick down. Keep holding it down. The drone may bounce up once, or stop above your hand, but if you don't move your hand, and hold the stick in descent position, it will drop into your hand. And does that impress the girls!
Thanks for that! :D

Every time you land manually, the sensors stop the landing a few feet above the ground and you have to keep the stick downward for a few seconds to tell the sensors that you wish to override the safety feature and land. This is true whether you hand-catch or whether you land on the ground.

So, the safety sensors are doing their job, and you simply have to override them when you land. That's how the bird is designed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000